What's new

Two months in…

I just started wet shaving two months ago. I lurked on this and other shaving forums during this time. My hope was that registering for this forum would reduce the pop ups.

Anyways… two months in… I definitely have not nailed the perfect shave down. I finally need to watch some YouTube tutorials and such.

As far as razors and other products to use, I looked at this forum more than the others. That is, basically, why I chose this forum over the others.

My razor collection has been growing fast, but the razors that I have used most are the Merkur 38C and a 1960’s Gillette Tech. I can pull off a decent daily shave with either of these.

I would say that I am about 45 shaves in. I would also say that my skin is better than when I started.

Wet shaving has made something, that I have always hated doing, more fun.

Welcome to b&b. As stated above only change one variable at a time until you get it nailed down. When I first started it took me 6 months to realize my biggest problem was the lather. Check out the sticky link under shaving soaps. Here is the link. It helps out a lot. Good luck!

Welcome aboard. Just know that it takes time for a skill to develop. I been shaving since 1984. Some one said to use just one razor one brand of blade and one type of soap/cream. They are absolutely correct. Back when I started shaving I only had 1 option for a razor my inherited fat boy, 1 option for blades Gillette stainless they came in a five count metal tuck and 2 choices of cream Gillette foamy or barbersol. I liked Gillette coconut foamy but the less expensive was Barbersol. That’s what I learned on. There was no YouTube or internet. You watched your dad shave that was it. After 40 years of shaving I still get nicks and cuts. It happens. Shave everyday wether you need to or not it’s to develop muscle memory. Use the inexpensive can stuff you don’t need a lot either just enough to have a thin layer of cream on the skin. Go to a barber shop and get a hot towel and straight edge shave. See what they do for pre shave nothing more than a hot damp towel. What cream/soap do they use 99 percent is a heated up canned cream. Post shave it’s usually Clubman. Having the high end soaps and creams is a luxury to enjoy. But not necessary to have a great shave. That comes from proper shaving technique.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to the forum. I got a 3 pass BBS in the first week of returning to shaving after years of a full beard. I also got a sizable gash just below my lip and days with weepers. As the months and years went by the weepers slowly reduced as my technique improved - but it did literally take years before they all but disappeared (I never claimed to be a quick study).

I was using too much pressure (like virtually everyone at the beginning) and my razor angle wasn't ideal for all parts of my face. It will get easier and easier to produce that comfortable shave. Equipment can make a difference - a good marriage between face/beard/razor and blade certainly makes consistency much easier to find. But technique is king, and that's the right place to start.

Hang in there, I promise things will continue to improve. And remember that there is no prerequisite talent/expertise required for posting on youtube. There is some great stuff out there, and then there is that other stuff. Back in the day I remember watching Mantic59 videos that I thought were pretty good. If you're having trouble finding good sources I'm sure there are shavers here that would respond to a post asking for good shaving videos (if you don't find them here already).

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
...the razors that I have used most are the Merkur 38C and a 1960’s Gillette Tech.

Welcome to B&B. Further, welcome to the company of other shavers who started out with a Merkur 38C! Those follow-the-leader types who use the 34C just don't know what they're missing. :) (What are they missing? Really, just the longer handle. Otherwise both are fine razors.)

What you've got there is a fairly mild razor, although let's be honest that "fairly mild" is only relative. It is holding a literally razor-sharp blade, after all.

I can understand how your collection is growing. I have the same thing going on; I like the technology and pursue some rather quirky aspects of the overall shave universe. However, I'll also put in another vote for spending some time building a foundation of skills and techniques. I use the plural advisedly. It's not just skill in removing lather that's important here.

Spend some time getting to know your soap and brush, too. Doesn't really matter whether you face/scalp lather, hand lather, bowl lather, or have it painted on by your significant other -- just spend some time doing it and you'll get better at it. I well remember the almost lost feeling I had at first when literally everything was new and sorting out relative importances was impossible. Time brings perspective.

I've come to what I think of as a fairly simple process. I like boar brushes, which is cool because you can buy several high-end boars for what a decent badger will cost you. (But if badger's your thing, go for it.) I usually make my own soap for several reasons but mainly because I can. Liking the result is a positive, too. I found a blade that works, and another that works almost as well and I have a lot of them. I have some nice razors, some of which were quite inexpensive and some of which were the focus of several months of setting aside a bit toward the cost.

Again, welcome! We're glad you're here. You've got a great adventure in front of you.

O.H.

I just started wet shaving two months ago. I lurked on this and other shaving forums during this time. My hope was that registering for this forum would reduce the pop ups.

Anyways… two months in… I definitely have not nailed the perfect shave down. I finally need to watch some YouTube tutorials and such.

As far as razors and other products to use, I looked at this forum more than the others. That is, basically, why I chose this forum over the others.

My razor collection has been growing fast, but the razors that I have used most are the Merkur 38C and a 1960’s Gillette Tech. I can pull off a decent daily shave with either of these.

I would say that I am about 45 shaves in. I would also say that my skin is better than when I started.

Wet shaving has made something, that I have always hated doing, more fun.
This might upset some people but if you use an adblocker there will be no popups anymore and no more ads on the site, even on Youtube. I can't see myself browsing the internet without an adblocker.

Don't try to change too many variables like others have said. I would recommend you to use a good blade like the Astra SP's or the Permasharps. A blade can make a huge difference especially if you're new to this.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to the B&B community. I started a day after you, but two years ago... Feb. 18th was the day the first razor I purchased arrived... in 2022. It's been a very fun, interesting and entertaining learning experience for me.... even though I was 67 at the time. Even an old dog can learn a few new tricks. ;)

Welcome to B&B! You should check out Geofatboy on YouTube if you haven't done do already. He helped me tremendously in my early wetshaving days.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
As always really good advice given. The only thing I would add, is do not shave everyday if it is giving you irritation. Also do not chase the BBS. Try for a close comfortable shave at the start.

So… I’m 4 months in.

I have nailed down an irritation free shave with pretty much any of my razors and any of my blades. The exceptions, so far, being Wizamet Super Iridium and Lord Silver Star.

I am up to 28 razors with 1 1/2 losers (one of the two has a handle I like) in the bunch.

I am up to 7 badger brushes.

I am pretty much set for everything.

I will pretty much just buy clean and lightly used/cheap examples at yard/garage/estate sales, antique shops and malls, and flea markets. I am running out of room, so I have to be very picky. I will splurge, occasionally, on modern stuff.

I have started to collect vintage Bakelite shaving soap bowls (for shaving cream and soap) and Bakelite ointment jars with screw on lids (for pomades). Vintage containers are better looking than the modern packaging.

I’m having a good time wet shaving, and the improvement in my skin has paid for everything that I have bought ten times over.

I appreciate all the information on this website.

Attachments

• 223F6645-E038-43EE-9912-55E049D4EC68.jpeg
    223F6645-E038-43EE-9912-55E049D4EC68.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • EA1CCB58-A4E9-45C0-8894-7D3AB3C2D4A0.jpeg
    EA1CCB58-A4E9-45C0-8894-7D3AB3C2D4A0.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom