What's new

Yerba Mate

Hey folks! First of all, I don't step into the Cafe as much as I should, but I've been really enjoying Yerba Mate of late and I though I'd ask if any other B&B'ers enjoy this kind of tea.

I recently got back from a trip down to Argentina, where everyone drinks Mate constantly, and I brought back a couple of gourds, some bombillas (metal straws with strainers on the end), and some loose leaf Yerba to make some at home. I've really been enjoying the 'clean' energy I get from this tea, and it makes me much less jittery than coffee/espresso does (and it's much gentler to my tummy). It's apparently very healthy and loaded with antioxidants, as well.

Here's a little clip I found that shows how to prepare the leaves for drinking:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4nJUrn4Qgo[/YOUTUBE]

My roomate studied abroad in Argentina for a semester and that summer. He has been drinking Yerba mate since. I tried it a few times with an extra gourd and straw he had. It was a little too vegetal for me. Maybe he just didn't buy quality leaves.

I drink yerba mate on those 16 hour days. I avoid the stuff as a general morning drink due to some bizarre heart palpitations I've had usually 2-3 hours after ingesting it as such. If I drink it when I'm realy tired, no problems. If I drink it right after I wake up, weird heart feelings -- and I have no heart conditions!

I've got some organic Yerba Mate I bought loose at a health food store not long ago. It's got an unusual flavor, but it's not bad... I make some as a pick-me-up in the afternoons sometimes. I just use a french press for mine too.

Materva, made in Miami, FL, I grew up drinking this stuff, but know it's a little too sweet for my taste

proxy.php

Materva, made in Miami, FL, I grew up drinking this stuff, but know it's a little too sweet for my taste

proxy.php

:angry: I am sorry, but you, sir are an Impostor! Please release the real Pedro immediately. No Cuban has ever used the phrased, "Too Sweet" :glare::angry:
After all, we normally order one coffee with seven sugars, when we're try to cut down. TOO SWEET!?!? A vile and pernicious heresy. Recant, I say! Recant!

The stuff is wonderful for fending off a cold/flu.

That's about the only time I ever drink a lot of it. I make mine in a french press as well, and do 2 infusions before I consider the leaves spent.

If you find it too vegetal, toss the first infusion, and try the second.

Hola!

I've been AWOL for quite a while... but, I noticed this thread and thought that I would add my thoughts. I've been living in Argentina for a couple of years, and yes... drinking mate is is a way of life. At home, I usually drink it by myself. However, mate is best when enjoyed by friends, with conversation... like the Argentine "asado", which is another delectable subject!

Having had time to develop good taste in mate, I recommend "sin palo"... or, without the stems. The regular mates can be full of stems, and they often contain a fair amount of polvo, or powder. There are ways to deal with this, but "sin palo" is definitely better, in my opinion.

My current favorite is Rosamonte. It has a fairly strong taste, but one that is also rich, in comparison with others that I have used. Drinking mate is very healthy, as it contains anti-oxidants. It does serve as a good alternative to coffee, or as an afternoon "pick me up". CBSe is another brand that I enjoy, when I'm in the mood for a flavored mate, like orange or lemon.

A couple of good online sources are:

www.gauchogourmet.com or www.amigofoods.com

Whole Foods carries Guayaki, which isn't available here.

Bueno.... me voy!

Ciao!
chop-chop

A local community market in my area carries supplies for Yerbe Mate, including the leaf, gourd, and bombilla. I enjoy using the gourds, which seem to be a natural way to drink it.

The gourds are the best way to enjoy mate. They have to be "broken in" for the mate to have the best flavor. The downside is that they don't last forever. They also serve as great hand warmers when it's cold!

Ciao,
chop-chop

There are two schools of thought on breaking in the gourds. One is that you must break them in before using it by loading it up and letting it soak for anywhere from overnight to a few days. The other is to just use them and let that by the break in process.

I did break in my first gourd and it is performing well for me so far. The other I am breaking in by simply using it, just to see if there is much difference. So far I haven't tasted any real difference between the two.

I just cleaned out my cupboards and found some Mate I bought in the winter... Probably not the freshest, but I gave up on it, not having a gourd or bombilla. I tried all sorts of ludicrous combinations of straws and cheesecloth yet I never thought of the french press.

Can anyone who french presses Mate give me an idea of the ratio I should be looking for?

I just cleaned out my cupboards and found some Mate I bought in the winter... Probably not the freshest, but I gave up on it, not having a gourd or bombilla. I tried all sorts of ludicrous combinations of straws and cheesecloth yet I never thought of the french press.

Can anyone who french presses Mate give me an idea of the ratio I should be looking for?

About 1tbsp per 6oz. (give or take to taste. You might double that if you want to get closer to the gourd-method in flavor.

The water should be about 180F, and you'll want to pre-wet the yerba with cool water. (I do this while waiting for the other water to boil, and I use enough cool water to temper the hot water down to about 180F)

Just a tip, most people like the second infusion better than the first. The first is generally preferred over the third infusion, for most people, but like all things on B&B - YMMV.

Start with about a tablespoon per cup and adjust from there.

Yerbe mate is like green tea when it comes to brewing. The water temperature needs to be cooler (160-180 F) or you'll wind up with a cooked greens taste and extra bitterness. And like puerh, you can brew it multiple times if you use a lot of leaf. I might use 3 or 4 tablespoons in a small (10 oz) French Press. Brewing times can be from 3 minutes on up to 10 minutes. Experiment and find out what works for you.

Put in a splash of cold water first and give the leaf a minute to absorb it. That'll temper the hot water so that you don't cook the leaf. Then add that hot water.

Yerbe Mate leaf will keep for up to a couple of years and still be good.

Top Bottom