What's new

yerba mate

I tried it for the first time and I fell immediately in love with it.
I have two calabash mates and one made with a cow horn. Drunk without sugar is just fantastic. It tastes a bit like green tea, but with a more earthly and grassy taste. In Barcelona it is possible to buy yerba from Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, for a decent price.
Do you also drink it? Which brands do you like?
At the moment I have just tried Amanda and Rosamonte from Argentina and Pajarillo from Uruguay.

MISTAKE. Pajarillo is from Paraguay, not Uruguay.
Uruguayan and Brazilian herb are nearly as fine as powder, while Argentinian and Paraguayan have little sticks, and, usually, Paraguayan tends to be a little stronger.

Roasted yerba is a staple here, as is coca tisane and kava. One of these days, I'll try the traditional consumption method.

The local 'No Frills' grocery near me carries Cruz De Malta Yerba Mate from Argentina, and is fairly inexpensive. Definitely a nice departure from tea and coffee.

The local 'No Frills' grocery near me carries Cruz De Malta Yerba Mate from Argentina, and is fairly inexpensive. Definitely a nice departure from tea and coffee.

Juan's meat market has the best selection in Toronto; prices are great too, and they make a great empanada!:thumbup1:

It's near impossible to find a store around here that carries any kind of Yerbe Mate that isn't Guayaki, and even then it isn't the smoked kind. There is one community market here that does carry a couple of them and one is smoked.

I always have mine in the gourd, and I just finished breaking in a new gourd yesterday.

I haven't had mate for a couple years now, not since I lived in Argentina. I need to see if there is an international market around here that carries proper yerba mate.

Message for all the lovers of yerba.
Don't brew it like a tea. Buy a real mate and a bombilla, and try the real thing. the taste has nothing to do.

Thanks for the link. I think I may have to try this. How do you make yours?(Im guessing use a tea ball and steep in hot water for about 5 min?)

I prefer brewing it traditionally using a gourd. If I only want a cup of it then I use a French press. With the small French press I'll put in two or three tablespoons of the leaves and fill it with 160 F water. Give it a 7 to 10 minute steep time and then pour it into a cup.

Bought some Mate at my grocery store today. This stuff is cheaper than tea(not sure if I bought a good brand but pretty limited selection). I bought a box Cuz De Malta for 99 cents. For 25 tea bags thats a pretty good price.

...Made a cup, tastes ok...kind of reminds me of gunpowder green tea(but not as smokey).

I felt like I had lots of energy though. I could definitely see myself drinking this over coffee or black tea as a pick me up.

I've only had Guayaki brand, but there's Cruz De Malta at a grocer near me too. I just make it with a French press and when I want a warm beverage in the afternoon to keep me going. I would like to try it in the traditional gourd sometime.

Bought some Mate at my grocery store today. This stuff is cheaper than tea(not sure if I bought a good brand but pretty limited selection). I bought a box Cuz De Malta for 99 cents. For 25 tea bags thats a pretty good price.

...Made a cup, tastes ok...kind of reminds me of gunpowder green tea(but not as smokey).

I felt like I had lots of energy though. I could definitely see myself drinking this over coffee or black tea as a pick me up.

I find it to be a much cleaner buzz than what you get from coffee. Black tea is a different story though. Tea is full of antioxidants so I always feel healthy drinking it and it has way less caffeine than coffee.

Yerbe Mate also has antioxidants in it as well, perhaps more so than tea. It also has some nutritional value when consumed traditionally, which is through a Mate cup (or gourd) with a bombilla. Studies are still ongoing in figuring out the beneficial values of the beverage. It has been said by some that the nutritional value is enough to substitute for vegetables and the Gauchos subsist on that along with meat.

Gourds can be bought online. A search will reveal several that have them, from very simple and cheap ones to ornate and expensive with metal trim.

Top Bottom