What's new

ATOP's 3-Shave Review: Dr. Harris Arlington Soap and Bowl Update: Shave #2 added (Post#25)

After realising that reviewing a product after just one use doesn't tell the whole story, I thought I'd try a new approach so i am going to do a "3-Shave" review.
The OP will be the start and shave#1.
I'll update the thread for shaves #2 and #3 as i finish them.

Shave#1 The Beginning:

Purchase:
Of the many threads regarding Shaving Soaps on B&B, one brand which is constantly noted in peoples Non-USA top tens is Dr. Harris.

I have a thing for hard soaps at the moment and particularly so if sold in a nice bowl so Dr Harris was an easy choice for purchase.

Dr Harris choice is limited to Arlington, windsor, lavender, Marlborough and natural.
After some investigation, Arlington seemed to get much love so i chose this as my 1st Harris soap. I found an offer online for Arlington in a beach bowl with free delivery for £20. Job done.

Unboxing:
I had high hopes for this soap. It is highly praised and is more expensive than others. When the package arrived i will admit to it being somewhat disappointing.

20180711_182039.jpg 20180711_182045.jpg

The soap and bowl came in a plain and cheap looking white box with a simple sticker on each side. The stickers were not centered or square.

The bowl was simply placed inside the box. There was no wrapping or other adornments. (Unfortunately i didn't take pictures of this).

On removal of the bowl, i tried to remove the lid, however, Dr. Harris uses adhesive labelling on the top of the lid which has paper tabs extending over and onto the sides, locking the lid in place. Over these tabs, the same (simple and cheap) sticker from the box is used:
DRH035_DR_Harris_Arlington_Shaving_Soap_Beech_Bowl_600x.jpeg
This is where i got a bit miffed. Because of the layering of the stickers, you can't cleanly remove the tabs without removing all of the paper and stickers. In doing so, the cheap paper stickers and the NASA spec' adhesive make the job an utter PITA. After much fuss, i resorted to using sticky stuff remover on the glue. To not have done would be like handing the bowl to a 3 year old infant after a birthday party. One big sticky mess. Not fun.

On clean up, i wasn't that impressed with the bowl either. Considering that the bowl commands a RRP premium of £12, i was expecting something a little better. Ebay is flogging these types of bowls at £6 a pop and they look like better quality. In particular, was the poor printing of the name on the bowl.
20180711_181940.jpg 20180711_181953.jpg

Smudged and unclear. I'm going to see if i can remove it. It looks cr*p. Imho.

Presentation of the puck was not much better. No nice wrapping. Just a topper of paper over the puck which looks like it fell out of a muffin tin: (picture is post use)20180711_182006.jpg

So in all, not an impressive start. My Kent soap is presented in a similar beech bowl, but it at least has a decently done stamp and the lid has some detail on it. The kent soap is wrapped lovely as well. Much better than Dr. Harris.

Puck fragrance and texture:
The puck is hard. Not as hard as the Kent, but as hard if not more so than Tabac. The fragrance was a surprise: Arko! Or at least a posh version of it. It is a lemon scent. I am ambivalent to it. The war department hates it. Ah well...

Loading and lathering:
I used my Yaqi synth brush for the first shave. Barely damp. No blooming. My brush had (never does tbh) no problem with loading the soap. After 10 seconds, i clearly had enough and i proceeded to face lather.
This soap loves water. I kept lathering and dipping, expecting to over saturate the lather quickly, but this soap can really take a drink. I hit the sweet spot (i think) and i had a brush stuffed with lather and a lather on the face which was light & highly hydrated but not weak, nor did it want to dissipate. This soap is definitely one for wet heads. There was never a hint of the soap drying out through the shave either. Very impressive.

Shave performance:
Shave slickness is excellent. Not quite (iirc) up to Kent, but certainly at the top of the soaps i have. Post pass slickness is fantastic. As good as any soap i have used. I was able to get the razor passing easily with just water for my touchups.

Shave performance has me baffled however. Using my Merkur 34c and Personna blades, i really struggled to get a good shave? I am aware that some soaps can be overly cushioning, but this wasn't the case here. The soap simply stopped performing. It was still lathered up and as far as i can tell, not over or under hydrated. I notice that the only other review on this forum of this soap mentions something similar in that he couldn't "blade buff" with this soap. I totally get what he means. And something else; for the last pass, the lather simply disappeared from my brush! Very strange (sounds like it is a case of under loading doesn't it?!) For my pick ups, my brush was useless and i picked up my shave oil to get me finished.

Post shave performance:
I'm going to say that i think this soap is good for ths post shave, but it could be down to my shave oil for the pick ups.
My alum block pass was quite good tbh so the soap was obviously giving me some protection.

Wrap up (Shave #1)

Tbh, my 1st shave with a Dr Harris soap was a flop. Poor packaging and presentation, an Arko-esque fraqrance and schizophrenic shave performance has me not looking forward to shave #2.
I'm obviously going to be careful with my build up next time. I'll load longer and hydrate less and see how i get on. Here is hoping it better than #1

Last edited:
I have the Lavender, Almond, Arlington, and Sandalwood DR Harris soaps and have used them for quite a few years. They have a nice, mild scent and, for me, are top performers. However, your comments about the stickers are right on. I took mine off by using my fingernails and then soaking a cotton ball in olive oil to soften it.

Hopefully, the performance will improve after a few uses.

I just ordered one of these just out of curiousity, since they seem to be "love" or "hate" it type of soap for most people, so I wanted to make my own judgement on it.

While I have no opinion on it yet, I must say that 10 sec. loading with hard soap in my opinion does not seem nearly enough. Not with any hard soap I ever used. This might explain it "disappearing" on later passes and also not so great performance first time around.

I just ordered one of these just out of curiousity, since they seem to be "love" or "hate" it type of soap for most people, so I wanted to make my own judgement on it.

While I have no opinion on it yet, I must say that 10 sec. loading with hard soap in my opinion does not seem nearly enough. Not with any hard soap I ever used. This might explain it "disappearing" on later passes and also not so great performance first time around.

Like many hard soaps, this one improves if used frequently. Currently, I use one soap until it is finished. However, previously I would use one soap for a week or a month before going on to another in my rotation. I would load the soap for up to 30 seconds for the first time of use and less if used thereafter. I also found that putting the lid on the soap made loading the puck easier.

I would load the soap for up to 30 seconds for the first time of use and less if used thereafter.

Right, I was just referring to @Atinofpeas comment on soap disappearing from the brush for later passes, loading hard soap for 10 sec. in my experience would almost certainly result in that.

I have the DRH Sandalwood in the same bowl. It can be quite fickle lathering when learning the soap, but it’s worth the learning and hanging on to it. They are a bit overpriced for a classic, but I’ve not been disappointed to at least have 1. I don’t think I will be refilling it though for the price point.

Water, and a bit more water. One of the better soaps I have, but hard milled soaps need water.

All hard milled soaps in your experience or this is specific to Dr. Harris only ?

I've been using Saponificio Varesino for about 2 weeks now and Hasslinger for a long time on and off and don't find either particularly thirsty. Both exceptionally easy to load and lather.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Reviews posted after only one use always leave me baffled. Use the new soap for a good while -- get it adequately hydrated and learn its nuances. I've used Arlington for years and find it a proper soap that thankfully works well for me and D.R.Harris comes recommended, unlike a disappointing puck of Trumper's.

I leave the tape strips on the bowl and lid, slicing them open with a razor blade. Classy labeling in my opinion.

full

Reviews posted after only one use always leave me baffled. Use the new soap for a good while -- get it adequately hydrated and learn its nuances. I've used Arlington for years and find it a proper soap that thankfully works well for me and D.R.Harris comes recommended, unlike a disappointing puck of Trumper's.

I leave the tape strips on the bowl and lid, slicing them open with a razor blade. Classy labeling in my opinion.

full

Well there's still shave#2 and #3 to follow so stay tuned!

5-10 is where you really can make a very good judgement, I kinda agree with @nemo.

I still say, load the brush a lot longer than 10 sec. at least 30... 10 just feels too short.
Mine's coming next week, so I'll find out if it works for me fairly soon too.

5-10 is where you really can make a very good judgement, I kinda agree with @nemo.

I still say, load the brush a lot longer than 10 sec. at least 30... 10 just feels too short.
Mine's coming next week, so I'll find out if it works for me fairly soon too.

I've used the soap about 4 times so far, listening and learning from the comments in this thread. My 3-shaves are not meant to be in succession, rather this is an attempt to diary the soap from first impressions through getting used to it and then ending with final thoughts as i settle down with it and learn its ways.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

Understand that this first impression is what may or may not encourage a reader that has googled D.R.Harris soap to buy/try -- they may not reach your final thoughts. The Harris product is one excellent shaving soap that has not been demolished by reformulations like the three T's, rejoice!

Understand that this first impression is what may or may not encourage a reader that has googled D.R.Harris soap to buy/try -- they may not reach your final thoughts. The Harris product is one excellent shaving soap that has not been demolished by reformulations like the three T's, rejoice!

Exactly.

full

+1! Yep! It can take awhile for me to figure out how to get the best out of a product.

Understand that this first impression is what may or may not encourage a reader that has googled D.R.Harris soap to buy/try. Their product is one excellent shaving soap that has not been demolished by reformulations like the three T's, rejoice!

Understood. I am perfectly happy with my comments in the 1st shave. They are faithful to my experience. Hopefully the reader (like me) will learn not to take too much notice of first impressions and be prepared to work at a product before forming a firm opinion.

full
+1 - this is exactly how I do it too with taking a razor blade to cut the tape. I also will take the puck out of the bowl when I lather so I don't junk up the wooden bowl. I return it after the puck has dried.

Also - agree that D.R. Harris works extremely well for me and always gives great shaves. As advised, just keep working water into the lather until you have the desired volume and sheen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom