What's new

Year Of The Shoe (for me)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm currently waiting on three more pairs of shoes, and after that, I'm done! Well, till the next pair ... you all know how it goes 🤣

Seriously though, I think I'll now have got everything I wanted to try, style wise. That's a replacement all leather spectator for the one which felt and looked a bit shoddy (I might have a go at recolouring that one actually), a woven leather finish shoe, and a monk shoe that I actually liked the look of (lots of broguing). Obviously, there's no guarantees I'll be happy with them all, but so far this year, I've only had one pair that I was a bit disappointed with, and even that one got kept.

Aside from having completed the tick list, I'm also running out of space! I think I can pass the Kappa trainers on to the charity shop though (Fat hairy cripple in running shoes? Nah, not a good look!), and I reckon the sole on the older black Derbies might be giving up the ghost soon. I probably need a walk in wet weather with them to see how they fare. I think everything else is a keeper though.

3x fair weather mile clockers (one black, one brown, one navy blue & brown)
3x foul weather mile clockers (one black, one brown, one navy blue & brown... again)
3x lazy day deck shoes (brown, black/brown, and tan canvas)
1x cupsole trainer that even a fat guy with a walking stick can wear without looking too stupid (blue canvas)
1x leather sandal
1x slip-on leather shoe
and a bucket load of presentable/interesting shoes to be seen in at social events, be they pub, theatre, restaurant, family gathering, etc. :biggrin1:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Am I right in thinking they're called duck boots? Not something I'm used to seeing over here. If the conditions are worse than my hiking boots can handle, the rubber wellies come out to play :lol1:
I believe they are sometimes called that but these have been made by LL Bean for many many years and have always been called and labeled Hunting Shoes. These were made in the US back “in the Day”. I had worn the soles and heels out and had them re-soled which is done by replacing the entire rubber bottom. The uppers never seem to wear out. I have always wanted a pair of real Wellies. I have a pair of “barn boots”. They are the same height as Welles but thicker and heavier. My younger son got a pair of genuine Wellies from England. I tried them on and they were lovely boots but I don’t hunt any longer and can’t justify them. My most recent shoe purchase was new wading boots to go with my waders. The were costly but definitely not pretty but stream fishing without them is rather dangerous. I’ve always been a sucker for footwear and have more shoes than my wife. I live in a temperate climate. Same latitude as Lyon France so boots are rarely necessary except for hiking and hunting. I am going to get a pair of snake leggings for walking the trails by streams. Copperheads are plentiful here and are nearly invisible among plants and weeds.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In fairness, I haven't actually needed my wellies for about three years, and have probably only needed them maybe three times in the last eight years. I probably ought to dig them out, and check they're still in good nick and nothing has started to perish.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just waiting for one pair of shoes now. Hotter Harbour, a well cushioned deck shoe that I can clock up a few miles with, was the first to arrive. Very happy with these.

IMG_20210818_125138_edit.jpg

They're still going to need a bit of settling in, but I can tell that they will be very comfortable indeed when they do.

Next up, was a shoe I liked, then decided against buying, and then bought anyway. It's a woven look embossed Derby. I specifically wanted to try a woven shoe, but the only ones I saw in my price range, weren't in my size, and looked of dubious quality. The only ones I saw in my size that looked half decent, were £90, which is well beyond what I want to gamble with. As such, I doubled back and bought the embossed ones to see if I like the style. At £24, I was much happier risking being disappointed.

IMG_20210820_112620_edit.jpg

IMG_20210820_151342.jpg

The actual colour is somewhere between the two shades that my somewhat colourblind camera has captured, although the lighting they're in makes a difference too. These were a surprisingly comfortable shoe, and I was able to go for a stroll to the local takeaway in them, within an hour of taking them out of the box. I'm quite happy with the looks too, as I didn't really have a plain-ish brown dressy shoe, and these fit the bill just fine.

The last pair are exceptionally hard to photograph.

IMG_20210820_112950_edit.jpg

Indoors, they kind of look like this, but a little more muted. In some lighting, they'd probably pass for plain black oxford brogues on first glance. However, they get A LOT louder in direct sun.

IMG_20210820_134218.jpg

My brother was... diplomatic... when he saw that picture 🤣 I do understand that, as they are quite a shock to the system. These too were under £25 for a leather soled, fully stitched construction. However, I bought them knowing full well they might be a little... bold, in certain light.

But I had a plan in mind that I want to run past you guys.

It seems several of the UK shoe makers are doing a rub-off finish. Essentially, a lighter coloured shoe, with a thin layer of darker polish, so that the lighter colour comes through as the polish rubs away. A kind of mottled, fake patina, type finish. I wondered (before I bought them) if these would look well as a DIY version of that.

Anyone done it? Worth it? Any tips? I think a "black" shoe, with hints of navy and olive green breaking through might work quite well.

From a fit perspective, there's a little more pressure on the tip of the little toe than any of the others have given, as though the taper starts a little early. I'm fairly confident they'll give enough to alleviate that as they break in, both on the side and the heel, which should ease it off. Also, unlike the others, there's a nice cushioned heel pad on the insole, to soften the landing on each step.

Even if I don't end up doing the polish experiment, I think they might make a nice evening shoe, pretending to be black or dark grey, but flashing the occasional hint of colour. In daytime they're maybe a little too vibrant, even for me, though that may tone down a little as I get over the shock myself. :biggrin1:

At less than £100 total for all three pairs, delivered, I'm quite happy to take these chances on something outside my usual comfort zone. Initial impressions, aside from the vibrancy shock, are quite positive. So, there's only that one shoe from Amen that I have been disappointed with throughout this entire protracted shopping spree... and I have an idea for that one too. Again, another idea I want to run past you guys...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Reminder: This was the one I was disappointed with.

IMG_20210809_150847_edit.jpg

Aside from the underwhelming but not totally disastrous build quality, it looked quite appealing on the seller's site, but in person, it just looks like they forgot to dye the leather.

So why don't I do it?

I can't decide on the colour though. I'd give them a good scrub to get off the wax element of the conditioner I applied, then apply a coat or two of Fleibings (sp?) with a fine brush to the "natural" coloured area, leaving the mid brown as it is. I won't bother trying to "dot" all the perforations though, so the natural colour will still show their.

Black? Burgundy? Or go crazy and hit it with some dark purple? I could even try to grade it, giving it a wash with one colour, then giving extra coats adjacent to the brown. I don't think I'm brave enough to go fully multicoloured or paint a mini mural on them though :001_tongu

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Actually, there's a third thing I'd like all your input on too, so that's

A) Input on the idea of putting a DIY rub-off finish on the blue and green spectators, please

B) Input on the idea of dying the "plain" part of the disappointing shoes, too please

And finally...

C) Should I reconsider my scepticism on shoe trees, based on the fact I'm buying low cost offerings? Is it worth it, based on the fact they'll costs as much as some of the shoes I'll be putting them in?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
B) Input on the idea of dying the "plain" part of the disappointing shoes, too please

I just ordered some "aubergine" coloured dye. I'll put some on an offcut of tooling leather, and see if it looks appropriate (dark enough) for the task. If it's too bright, I'll look for something else instead.

I still haven't made a decision whether to try the rub-off finish on the others yet.

As to the last pair I'm awaiting, there's still no news on despatch. I checked the online store earlier too, and that item is now no longer listed. I'm hoping that's because I got the last ones, and not because I missed out, as I haven't seen anything similar elsewhere in the same price bracket.

889528_325f8a57-c998-4791-9d19-7b4400ebbf63_160x160_cropped@3x.jpeg

They're the only monk shoes I've seen that I really like the look of. The brogue detail on the flap makes all the difference for me.

I've also ordered some brown and coloured laces. The laces on some of these budget shoes seem to "cheapen" them more than any attribute of the shoes themselves. A few quid for a better lace is well worth it, I reckon. In the same order there's some more polishing stuff, some saddle soap and dubbin, and also some brown "easy laces" to try, which are silicone, and effectively convert a laced shoe to a slip on.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cheap shoes aren't always a bad idea.

They are a depreciating asset. Spending more than you ought on depreciating assets is a bad idea ... but there are also benefits from spending "enough" to buy "quality". A shoe that falls apart at the seams after a few miles isn't worth the cheap price ... one that lasts until the sole wears through and then you toss it, is worth it.

Motor vehicles are a useful analogy. A cheap second-hand Toyota and a new Mercedes Benz will both get you from A to B in roughly the same time ... unless they break down en route or are in the shop yet again for more repairs. (And it's probably the Benz that breaks down!) But ... those of us old enough to remember the Soviet-Bloc cars (Lada, Skoda, Yugo ...) will know that cheaper can be a bad thing too!

But is there a benefit to buying a new Lexus sedan when you can get a new Camry for half the price? In terms of A-to-B reliability, probably not. The Lexus is probably a bit more comfortable, but the Camry is more than "comfortable enough".

And anyone who walks a lot in his shoes, or makes long drives in his car, understands that comfort is an actual important factor! Don't believe me, try walking a block in shoes that don't fit you well. Now keep going for half a mile ... and at the end of that ask yourself if you could do a few more miles, or if you need to sit down and take these monstrosities off.
EXCELLENT post. Spot on.

FarmerTan

I think that's the lot! Barring the rubber wellies that are there in case of really dire circumstances.

I appreciate my penchant for value shoes might seem alien to many here. It's worked well for me though, for decades. But then, there's Arko fanatics mingling happily with the artisan soap users here, so I don't think I'll upset anyone's sensibilities too much :biggrin1:

"Did someone ring?"

FarmerTan

As to shoe trees: I am hit or miss on their use.
I do like them for some of my lesser worn dress shoes.

I also just recently took a pair of a tiny bit tight slip ons out of the closet and noticed that the trees made them MUCH more comfortable.
So for me, shoes trees can be useful. I should add, nearly ALL of my shoes of any real value were purchased used, at probably less than 10 percent the MSRP.

I'm so tight I squeak when I walk, my brother from another mother!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I should add, nearly ALL of my shoes of any real value were purchased used, at probably less than 10 percent the MSRP.

There doesn't seem to be enough pre-owned high end shoes in circulation for those kind of discounts over here. Folks seem to want at least 40% to 50% of the initial cost, despite having worn away half the sole, and replaced the missing weight with their sweat and fungus. By the time I've addressed the sole, and tidied up anything else they've made a mess of, it's probably not much of a saving.

I think I'll probably stick with the "off the shelf" bargain hunting and sales scavenging. I don't need stuff to last longer than me, and own enough cheap pairs that they'd all only get worn about 20 times a year, if I wore them all equally. At that rate, there's a good chance that some of these cheapies will last longer than me anyway :p

Thanks for your thoughts on the shoe trees too, Dave :thumbup1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Bloomin' typical! :mad2:

After just receiving the woven look shoe, because actual weaves were too pricey, I just found one in the right price bracket. :facep:

Never mind, it'll have to wait. I've spent enough (too much?) recently. Maybe next month.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sometimes, I can be an extremely disciplined and stubborn individual. Today is not one of those days :rolleyes1

These will be replacing my most worn plain black pair of Derbies in the next week or so.

948806.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I chose black for the woven shoes, as to my eyes, it looks much better than the brown version of that shoe. The brown version kind of looks tired and in need of a good clean, even when new.

948829.jpg

Yes, it might be just the pics, but the black still looked a much tidier shoe to me. To be honest, I don't know why some people have an aversion to black shoes. I think I'll have six pairs once everything is here that's ordered, and gone that's being discarded. That's including the two pairs of hiking boots/shoes.

It really does depend on the shoe though. I like my plain black derbies, and I think a brown equivalent might look dull in comparison. I think the chunky sole helps with that look though. However, the monk shoes I have coming looked much better than the same in black. Same with the spectators, which are all brown themed, save for the navy/olive ones. Likewise, I really like my square toed chukka type boots in black, and my country boots in brown.

All the black spectators I saw, looked... like they should be part of a costume, rather than with regular clothing. I was joking with my brother earlier, about what comic book villain costume I should wear with the navy/olive ones. :lol: I'm sure they'll look much better when I've toned them down with a healthy application of black polish.

The saddle soap and purple dye, are due to arrive tomorrow.

I chose black for the woven shoes, as to my eyes, it looks much better than the brown version of that shoe. The brown version kind of looks tired and in need of a good clean, even when new.

View attachment 1316141

Yes, it might be just the pics, but the black still looked a much tidier shoe to me. To be honest, I don't know why some people have an aversion to black shoes. I think I'll have six pairs once everything is here that's ordered, and gone that's being discarded. That's including the two pairs of hiking boots/shoes.

It really does depend on the shoe though. I like my plain black derbies, and I think a brown equivalent might look dull in comparison. I think the chunky sole helps with that look though. However, the monk shoes I have coming looked much better than the same in black. Same with the spectators, which are all brown themed, save for the navy/olive ones. Likewise, I really like my square toed chukka type boots in black, and my country boots in brown.

All the black spectators I saw, looked... like they should be part of a costume, rather than with regular clothing. I was joking with my brother earlier, about what comic book villain costume I should wear with the navy/olive ones. :lol: I'm sure they'll look much better when I've toned them down with a healthy application of black polish.

The saddle soap and purple dye, are due to arrive tomorrow.
A friendly jest only....but seeing your concern about not purchasing any "rain catcher" shoes are not you concerned about this "dirt catcher" style? At least the brown ones already look a bit dull to your eye, so a little extra dust or dirt trapped in between the weave should matter less. :lol: I have never worn this style of shoe but was my concern when I once considered it. These look like a nice pair shoes, assuming the fit will be good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A friendly jest only....but seeing your concern about not purchasing any "rain catcher" shoes are not you concerned about this "dirt catcher" style? At least the brown ones already look a bit dull to your eye, so a little extra dust or dirt trapped in between the weave should matter less. :lol: I have never worn this style of shoe but was my concern when I once considered it. These look like a nice pair shoes, assuming the fit will be good.

I do know what you mean, but I don't expect it to be too much of a problem. In fact, the "twinkle" of different parts of the weave catching the light, might hide a multitude of sins, if I can keep a reasonable polish on it. :001_tongu

To be honest, my bigger concern is polishing it, without the wax or conditioner building up too much in the valleys of the weave. I think that could be harder to shift than a bit of dust or dirt. Also, whether I can get the conditioner to the underlying parts of the weave, as it only takes one dry strand to crack and ruin the shoe.

Again, they haven't cost me much, and were under the £40 threshold, even with a shipping charge added. So if they don't work out, I'm not significantly out of pocket. :)

FarmerTan

I do know what you mean, but I don't expect it to be too much of a problem. In fact, the "twinkle" of different parts of the weave catching the light, might hide a multitude of sins, if I can keep a reasonable polish on it. :001_tongu

To be honest, my bigger concern is polishing it, without the wax or conditioner building up too much in the valleys of the weave. I think that could be harder to shift than a bit of dust or dirt. Also, whether I can get the conditioner to the underlying parts of the weave, as it only takes one dry strand to crack and ruin the shoe.

Again, they haven't cost me much, and were under the £40 threshold, even with a shipping charge added. So if they don't work out, I'm not significantly out of pocket. :)
I'm with you on the brown ones.

I typically like brown shoes, now that I'm retired and mostly wear jeans. Black I usually wear with gray or black pants for some reason. But the Brown Weave's you pictured are kind of cheap looking.

I've never pulled the trigger on a woven shoe....I'll have to revise my thinking in this regard...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm with you on the brown ones.

I typically like brown shoes, now that I'm retired and mostly wear jeans. Black I usually wear with gray or black pants for some reason. But the Brown Weave's you pictured are kind of cheap looking.

I've never pulled the trigger on a woven shoe....I'll have to revise my thinking in this regard...

Personally, I think my chunky soled black derbies work well with jeans, dark moleskins and chinos too. Same with my black and brown deck shoes. My black square toed chukkas and these woven ones have a somewhat dressier profile, so I need to be a little more selective on trouser, but what works for one, will likely work worked for the other.

Since overhauling the wardrobe due to an increased waistline, I haven't got dress trousers yet. Maybe I won't bother. So, I'm currently pairing everything with jeans, chinos, needle cords, and chunky cords. My needle cords are a pair of navy, and a pair of mid-grey, and the jumbo cords are "gunmetal" grey. They'll probably get worn with black shoes quite often, although I may have to keep the dressier shoe profiles with the needle cords.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I hate sellers that drop ship! :incazzato

I was expecting a pile of shoe care items arriving today, but all I received was dubbin, renovating black poilsh (already been put to use on the older shoes/boots), and some shoe laces. The outstanding items, silicone easy laces, leather dye, and saddle soap, are all arriving separately in three different parcels from their relevant makers or wholesalers. I also have two pairs of shoes arriving, also in two different parcels, from two different places, even though they're both from the same group of companies. At least two different couriers are involved too. :facep:

So now, I look forward to a few days stuck in the house, as I don't know which delivery with what from who is arriving when. 🤣

The upside is that by the weekend, or early next week at the latest, I should have everything I've ordered, including the monk shoes which had me worried for a while. :thumbup1: I'll try to get pics up as soon as poss of everything I haven't photographed yet, and everything that's changed colour. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom