What's new

Year Of The Shoe (for me)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've received confirmation that the suede Rowan boots by Hotter have been despatched. Should be here by the end of the week :)

Managed to get the first coat of aubergine dye on the disappointing Amen brogues today.
<snip>
They'll need another coat, but I think it's an improvement.

I gave them another coat last night, and the colouring is nice and even now. Much better. I put some maroon laces on them today, and took a little walk in them, just to the local shop at the end of the street for some essentials. They certainly look a lot brighter in daylight, and need to be worn with confidence. Not a shoe for the retiring, self-conscious individual. However, I don't exactly fit into the shy, retiring category, so it won't discourage me :001_tt2:

I do think I need to figure out a safe-ish way to attempt to dye the larger brogue holes though. Doesn't look right, having that tan/natural colour showing through them. Sorry, no new pics, as my phone has died.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The new pair of Hotter "Rowan" boots were received today. They are indeed the same excellent, well cushioning, hybrid sole that's on the Harbour shoes. I'm wearing them right now, and straight out of the box, they feel comfortable enough to go and clock up a couple of miles in. They are a darker shade of blue than I was expecting, but that's of no detriment. Sorry, no pics. Still not got tech issues that I'm working on.

Aside from that, I've been doing an appraisal of all my purchases this year, and working out where the array is strong, and where it needs more work. In most areas, I've got some excellent options, and this year's bargain hunting has worked out really well. There is however still one area that needs work. More on that when I get a decent functional camera...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
... and straight out of the box, they feel comfortable enough to go and clock up a couple of miles in.
Theory tested... and proven.

I had a little errand to run, tracking down a second hand Android phone to root, and customise to my needs. The shop is about a mile away, and there's a decent hill between there and home. No issues whatsoever, either with new shoe blues (blisters, soreness etc), and perfectly adequate cushioning for clocking up urban miles, despite the heavy heel strikes of the balance disorder. I don't like Hotter's full retail prices, but am very impressed with their products so far. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on future sales.

Hopefully over the next few days, I'll get this new (to me) phone configured, and be able to take/post pics again.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
But what does feel like "me"? Who am I now? What do I connect with?

My physical foundation of where I meet the floor, became a bit of a focus, then an obsession.

Some people try to read the character of others from their shoes. In a way, that's exactly what I've been trying to do to myself.
Look to your sole to find your soul.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Look to your sole to find your soul.
Indeed!

Trainers are out, deck shoes are in. Some slip on leather shoes are in too, which never used to be the case. No penny/bit loafer types though.

I used to prefer a plainer "dress" shoe. Always black, always Derby, never caps, wing tips or brogues. Now, I like all manner of colour, including multi-coloured, and prefer brogues to plain. Still Derby though, as I find them more comfortable (better fitting) than Oxfords.

Boots are still a work in progress. On a bad brain day, the sheer acts of putting them on and taking them off is challenging. I'm still tuning in to other practicalities of different shoes from the new perspective. Shorter strides, heavier landings, side loading when arresting a sideways lean, miles walked, and also the amount of "feel" or feedback I have through the sole.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
New phone, new camera, new browser, new typing method, all to show new shoes.
20210929_234616.jpg

Camera needs work. Editing abilities (white balance etc) are limited.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So... the big review. Not sure it it will work with all these pics, but I'll give it a try...

I previously split the shoes I need into three groups.

Lazy day - Around the house and garden, straying no further than the end of the street.
"Make an effort" - Social and event shoes
Mile clockers - Shoes I need to trudge a few miles in, for shopping, medical appointments, visiting family, etc

It soon became clear that there was a group missing. Shoes that I need to be able to clock up a few miles with, and yet still arrive looking suitable for some kind of social function, be it a restaurant, or funeral, or whatever. Dressy mile clockers. Within each of those needs, there's also weather variations. It all kind of got a little messy, but here's where I ended up when reappraising them in this way.

Lazy day shoes

Fair weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Foul weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php

That's by far the easiest category to satisfy. Comfy as slippers for mooching about the house in, but also good enough for nipping out for a bottle of milk, to post a letter, or even have a cheeky pint in the local boozer. No concerns about cushioning etc, as distance isn't something I'm dealing with.

Lazy Social (travelling by taxi, or getting a lift)

Fair Weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Foul Weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php

I've done lots of exploration here, and not really made any serious booboos, or at least, I haven't identified any that'll end up at the charity shop in 12 months. These are probably going to be the least worn shoes, unless I choose to wear them around the house, simply for a bit of feel good factor. Lots of variety, and something for every occasion, no matter whether wearing jeans, chinos, cords, or dress trousers.

However, if I have to walk there, I'm struggling...

(Had to break the post here due to limit on number of pics)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Continued from previous post...

Walking Social (dressy mile clockers)

Fair Weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Foul Weather:

proxy.php

The assortment here, is pretty lame! For a start, they're ALL navy blue. I need something black, and something brown, with maybe one of them being a boot. The only other shoes I have that I can clock up the miles in, are these last few.

Mile Clockers

Fair Weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Foul Weather:

proxy.php
proxy.php

These are the real workhorses of the array. I don't need variety here, just comfort and reliability. The brown boots AREN'T comfortable enough yet, but I'm hoping they'll break in to the level of comfort I need.

So, everything has been fun, and rather successful. Still more careful perusal needed on that third category though. It's not really a common category of shoe, particularly in my budget range, as most folk drive everywhere these days. Worst case scenario, is I might need to go up slightly on fitting size, and get some gel inserts. I'd rather find a shoe that's built for the job though, and I'm hoping future sales at Hotter shoes might be helpful.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All you need now is a few sets of shoe trees and some polishing gear. Then you will be ready for winter.

I was a bit of a shoe tree sceptic, particularly as the shoes I buy are the same price as a tree. :lol: However, I decided to grab a couple of cheap ones to try. One of the wooden types with the long coiled spring (travel type), and a plastic set with the split toe. My experience with those, has changed my mind slightly. I used them on a couple of well worn shoes and boots, and they did change my mind a bit.

After a full day's wear, I noticed that they both helped remove creases as they aired out. I didn't notice any improved dry time on the unvarnished wood over the plastic, and remain a sceptic that wood helps them dry quicker than air. Besides which, the wood would then need time to dry out again before it can "help" again, and a chunk of wood takes longer to dry than leather. It seems to depend more on the shape of the shoe as to whether the solid wood or split toed plastic helps more. At this stage though, they both seem perfectly adequate for my needs.

As for polishing, that's all taken care of. I have black and neutral polishes, as well as neutral cream. :thumbup1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm still wearing the "summer" shoes about the home. Specifically the deck shoes and slip ons. Not attended any social events by car or taxi, but these shoes are still getting worn around the house too... providing I'm not cooking. I don't want to ruin them with bacon grease or chilli, etc.

As to the mile clockers, I still haven't found any other "presentable" ones in my price range, for making my way to social gatherings on foot. However, I'm really starting to not care very much about that. Function comes first.

If I have go get myself somewhere, and my feet are somewhat "under dressed" due to me choosing comfort over style, then tough!!! If I rode a bike, I would have arrived in leathers. As I arrive on foot, my shoes will reflect that instead.

My recent skin stripping jaunt put that into perspective, and they were comfort shoes! Albeit they came loose, and I couldn't find anywhere to retie them safely. If I have to choose, I'd rather get where I need to be in comfort than style, and if that means hiking or other country footwear, so be it. I'm still refraining from adding trainers though. I still believe a fat hairy cripple looks better in boots :lol:

I haven't given up on stylish (and CHEAP!) mile clockers altogether, but don't want to risk adding more smart shoes, that I can't do three or four miles in. So, it's way down the overall priority list. of course, if I MUST arrive looking smart, then I'll have to consider other ways of getting there and back.

It's certainly been a learning curve, this year's shoe exploits, but with very few mistakes. And no regrets. There's nothing I'm thinking I shouldn't have got, or thinking of getting rid of.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Padders just dropped me an email through, alerting me to Black Friday offers. They tend to be pretty nominal in the UK (10% off here, 20% off there), and not coax any cash from me. However, this time around, there was some smart-ish looking waterproof walking shoes ... something I have a genuine need for ... which were reduced from £80 to £30 delivered.

So I'll have a pair of British made Padders Terrain landing in the next few days.

20211125_030514.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oops! My Debit card slipped out again!

The Samuel Windsor Cumbria Boots are being an absolute bear to break in. Great boots, but I don't know how long before (or even if) they reach the level of comfort I need for my urban walkabouts.

img_20210707_133819-jpg.1309346

The uppers are comfortable enough, but the foot bed is still exceedingly stiff. Diesel engines break in thicker than these buggers!!!

So as well as the bargain Padders Terrains, reduced from £80 to £30 (pictured above), I also pounced on these...

Cotswold Slad.jpeg

Cotswold Slad (Cotswold is the brand, and the Slad boot is named after a village in the Cotswolds region in the UK). They should have been £60, but were already reduced to half price, AND a Black Friday got me a FURTHER 30% off that discounted price!!! I couldn't let them pass me by for £21!!! Nubuck and suede upper, so I have to be a bit canny with the weather, but these look much better for clocking up the miles around town.

That should round out the mile clockers nicely, with varying styles and weather resistance.

All weather
Karrimor Surge Low
img_20210809_151126_edit-jpg.1309343
All weather
Karrimor Bodmin Mid
img_20210707_134926-jpg.1309333
All Weather
Padders Terrain
20211125_030514-jpg.1367889

Fair Weather
Padders Lunar
img_20210809_150355_edit-jpg.1318557
Fair Weather
Cotswold Slad
Cotswold Slad.jpeg
Fair Weather
Hotter Harbour
img_20210828_150136-jpg.1318529
Fair Weather
Hotter Rowan

(apologies for white balance issues)
20210929_234616a.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So I'll have a pair of British made Padders Terrain landing in the next few days.

View attachment 1367889

Well... that's what should have happened.

I ordered them last Wednesday, and by today (Tuesday), I still hadn't received confirmation of despatch, so I gave them a ring. I asked to check they had been sent out, and a puzzled voice on the other end said "No... they haven't. Hang on... what the..."

It was a good job I called. The ordering system had issued the pick and ship order to a warehouse that doesn't exist anymore :facep: They recently closed a warehouse down, and with this being an end of line product, it hadn't been recoded to pick from the correct facility. Oops! :lol:

All sorted now though, and hopefully it won't be much longer till they arrive. In the meantime, The Cotswold Shad boots which I ordered a couple of days later (from another company), are now on the delivery van on their way to me :thumbup1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Cotswold Slad are here!

IMG_20211130_135345.jpg

VERY comfortable. These may initially give the impression of sturdy hiking boots, but these are just as supple and free of the need to break in as my Hotter Rowan desert boots.

IMG_20211130_135444.jpg

Now, the question is, do I treat them?

Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof seems to get a lot of recommendations on various sites, but is that because it's good, or just that they are good at product placement? I know these, like everything in this thread, are low cost, but that doesn't mean I should neglect them. They don't need to do a whole lot of work to pay for themselves at £21, but I do live in Britain, which means rain can happen ;)

What say the wise ones here? Treat or not?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Although I think it’s wise to protect your footwear investments, I have yet to treat/protect any of my latest suede acquisitions. Any spots thus far have been removed by a suede eraser and a suede brush.

Treating them gives you some protection and some piece of mind when the weather starts to turn on you.

Top Bottom