What's new

Yardley

At a flea market, a few weeks ago, I got talking with a gentleman about wet-shaving. I explained that I had been skunked at the flea market when he mentioned he might have some old things lying around which may interest me. I gave him my number. A few days passed and he called me to let me know he could only find one of his old razors. We decided on a meet and I could decide if I wanted it or not. Well, he showed up with a very nice '60 Fatboy. He then reached into his car and pulled out a tub of old Yardley. He said, "You might want to try this too. That canned foam they sell is no good compared to the soaps we used to use." I offered him a decent figure, but he refused to take it. He told me to enjoy my shaves, and that was that.

I'm wondering about its age, particularly. I've researched vintage Yardley, and I think it may be from the mid '70s?

There's loads of scent to it, and the puck looks brand new. Should I use it?

$yardley 002.jpg

The generosity of some folks is simply jaw dropping.

Of course you should use it. And enjoy the profound sense of gratitude that you'll feel each time you do.

Every once in awhile someone does something for you so downright decent that you are humbled. This sounds like one of those moments. Use it, of course.

I've used it 3 times now. Unfortunately the nice lavender scent disappeared as soon as I began loading the brush. Now it only smells of sour insect repellent and musty wood of the wet bowl. The lather, on the other hand, is very good. It's very slick, creamy and protective. It can take a good amount of water, which I appreciate. It reminds me of the Christmas in Tuscany lather - shiny, soft, dense, yogurt-like. I won't 3017 it, but happy to have it around nonetheless.

If I'm honest, I'm more interested in restoring the bowl.

Top Bottom