What's new

Yard work hat

So, Spring is pretty much arrived in my part of the world. Along with that comes yard work, a new thing to me being the first Spring/Summer in the newly owned house, and first time owning a house. It's a large yard, with lots of things I have to do over the next couple years (reclaim heavily overgrown areas, remove brush piles the previous owners created, etc.).

I'm heavily leaning towards a Tilley, but I'm a bit stuck at which style. I'm not dead set on Tilley, just looking in that direction a lot. So, who's got some personal experience with yard work head gear that wants to chime in with some recommendations?

I really enjoy my Tilley hat, but I do not use it for yard work. Get yourself a "genuine spec" boonie hat and call it a day.

Boonie Hats

I had looked at that style, but I was thinking the brim not quite wide enough to really shade the eyes and face.

I do already have a Tilley, LTM6 Airflo in black. I picked it up more for casual Summer wear, and being black, it's not the coolest option for wearing in the sun while working outside.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Sombrero?? Oh, that's what they wear here in the desert.

I have the Tilley LTM6 Airflo in white that works well.

Another good one is the canvas/mesh one that they sell at Bass Pro Shops.

I have also used those WalMart straw golf hats but the heat here destroys the elastic and most aren't large enough for my fat head, hence the Tilleys.

I would get a Tilley. Mine has lasted many decades, and is perfect for yard work.

Try the Airflo or the TM3.

Boonie for me for summer yard work. Check out Real Deal Brazil tarp hats too. Tough as can be and look pretty cool.

I would get a Tilley. Mine has lasted many decades, and is perfect for yard work.

Try the Airflo or the TM3.

The reviews on the TM3 have been pretty down compared to the ones they made in the 80's. Lots of customers buying a new one to replace a very old one saying that model's new version is no where near the quality of the 80's model. The Airflo is still pretty high on my list.

Boonie for me for summer yard work. Check out Real Deal Brazil tarp hats too. Tough as can be and look pretty cool.

I like that tarp hat idea, sadly their website is currently down and I can't check them out yet. :(

The reviews on the TM3 have been pretty down compared to the ones they made in the 80's. Lots of customers buying a new one to replace a very old one saying that model's new version is no where near the quality of the 80's model. The Airflo is still pretty high on my list.

I like that tarp hat idea, sadly their website is currently down and I can't check them out yet. :(

Only issue with the tarp hat is that they use ferrous grommets (vent holes) and wire for the brim. So the metal rusts. I got mine out of the closet today and it has rust stains on it. It's pretty much intended to be a beater anyway, but thought I would mention it.

Only issue with the tarp hat is that they use ferrous grommets (vent holes) and wire for the brim. So the metal rusts. I got mine out of the closet today and it has rust stains on it. It's pretty much intended to be a beater anyway, but thought I would mention it.
Good to know... so, possibly not a wet weather hat then, better off keeping it on the dry side.

Good to know... so, possibly not a wet weather hat then, better off keeping it on the dry side.

Yeah, but even then it can happen. Eventually you would want to wash it (they recommend NOT to use a washing machine). Why they use metal parts that rust is beyond me. They even recommend covering the vent grommets with motor oil, but that doesn't stop the metal wire in the brim from rusting. I am going to try some rust remover on mine and see what it does. If it works great, if not then it's still just a beater. Heck its made from recycled tarp that covered the back of old shipping trucks so it's already weathered and 'aged'.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love the morning for working outside in the summer. I'd be mowing the grass at 7AM if my wife had less concern for the folk next door. I mostly use baseball caps that get put through the wash frequently. I wear my Tilley airflow when walking my dog.

Holy Cow! You guys doing yard work on the banks of the Amazon?
lol nope, just wanting the sun off my face, sweat out of my eyes, and heat not trapped under the hat over all. Additional features are easy to wash/clean while keeping shape and likely to last a good long time. The Tilley definitely fits that bill all around. Guess I'll pull the trigger on that one, since I found a sale with 10% off as well as free shipping.

Sombrero?? Oh, that's what they wear here in the desert.

You in AZ? This is what I recommend down here.
HugeHat.jpg

If youre worried about sun exposure, get a boonie hat. Tillys are cool too but you could probably get a boonie hat for less.

Yeah, the boonie's were about half the price, but in the end the brim didn't seem as shading as the other options, and the lifetime guarantee edges out the competition for me.

Top Bottom