What's new

Yaqi Trifecta Stainless Razor Head Questions

I have a few questions for those that own one. Can you use more than one shim at a time? How about all three? Also compatibility to use the shims in other razors? I was thinking in the Yaqi Knight Helmet for instance, but any compatibility matches would be good to know.
1698853733821.jpg
1698853716681.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have not yet seen a Trifecta owner/user on B&B and also held back buying one as I simply had no clue what it is. I rather got the Harlequin instead when looking for a new razor, as I somewhat favor OCs.

@Never Picked any idea which razor/razor design they copied? It kinda looks like a Mamba... but the cap is different. Kinda instead of Mamba 70 a Mamba 90 and 1.10. Hmm...

Whatever, if it fits in another razor would be up to the yet unknown Trifecta owner to report here. :)

I also wonder what gap it has without any of the three shims.., .50 perhaps. I wonder if all three shims together would be physically possible to fit in at all, too.

I think it's clone of a Mamba 70. I doubt it was designed to be used with more than one shim. The 1.10 mm shim should provide an aggressive shave and the 70 mm should provide a mild shave. Most other manufacturers provide different baseplates instead of shims. Yaqi's Aliexpress page isn't the most informative in regards to this razor head. You probably assemble it in this order:
1. Top Cap
2. One shim
3. Double edge blade
4. Base plate

I have not yet seen a Trifecta owner/user on B&B and also held back buying one as I simply had no clue what it is. I rather got the Harlequin instead when looking for a new razor, as I somewhat favor OCs.

@Never Picked any idea which razor/razor design they copied? It kinda looks like a Mamba... but the cap is different. Kinda instead of Mamba 70 a Mamba 90 and 1.10. Hmm...

Whatever, if it fits in another razor would be up to the yet unknown Trifecta owner to report here. :)

I also wonder what gap it has without any of the three shims.., .50 perhaps. I wonder if all three shims together would be physically possible to fit in at all, too.
Good point. Maybe without the shims it's nothing, just blade to comb, or maybe with the shim, it achieves the blade gaps listed on the shims.

On a side note, you inspired me to get the Superslant L3++OC. Also, I prefer the hawk V3 OC over the "A".

I have to answer my own questions. Yes it holds all three plates at once.
Cropped_Image1700188252871_183208.jpg

Before I had time to think about it, I just went for it. A Supermax super stainless blade, chosen because it's smooth but not to smart. Handle about 4 inch, 80 grams, and clear non-lathering shave gel so I could see exactly what I was doing. I survived. Just one pass with a little across the grain. Very close, no Knicks or cuts, no irritation, but I was really focused on the task at hand. I think these plates will fit on just about any razor with the three hole design and with a similar curve.

lasta

Blade Biter
I have to answer my own questions. Yes it holds all three plates at once.
View attachment 1749614
Before I had time to think about it, I just went for it. A Supermax super stainless blade, chosen because it's smooth but not to smart. Handle about 4 inch, 80 grams, and clear non-lathering shave gel so I could see exactly what I was doing. I survived. Just one pass with a little across the grain. Very close, no Knicks or cuts, no irritation, but I was really focused on the task at hand. I think these plates will fit on just about any razor with the three hole design and with a similar curve.
Dude, you just put 27 shims in your razor!

I got the 1.10mm Yaqi Trifecta plate in the Yaqi Bohemia that I just got in the mail. I don't think the design can take more than one plate. I have it on the 1.35mm side. This razor is heavy, and really head heavy. Also, it has a small blade exposure. Just shaved the head. I don't recommend for regular head shaving use. The heavy head is big and awkward. Difficult around the ears. Once I got to the face it was better. This razor requires a very steep shaving angle. Close to the handle being perpendicular to the face. Ultimately not my favorite razor as far as first impressions go. It is a unique and I would say good looking razor. No regrets on the purchase.
Cropped_Image1700534118727_183550.jpg

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Never Picked you really went to town when shopping, I was looking the Bohemia and the new Duomo or Domo, but then came the Lambda in steel along, that stopped further acquisitions for a while.

This razor seems to shave rather shallow due to the very prominent and wide bar?
Ah well, one day I will get it, just probably not that soon. I am not the government, I cannot spend money indiscriminately and call it a "special fund"...^^

3 more I tried with the 1.10mm shim.
iKon Tech
Muhle R41
Rockwell 6S #6 Plate

Of the 3 I can only recommend the Rockwell.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Got it in the mail yesterday and went straight for all three. Next I plan to try the shims in the Muhle R41, the iKon Tech, the Yaqi Knight Helmet. Here is the Helmet with the .70mm and .90mm.
View attachment 1749796
That film in there some Speick.
Wow. You've taken the Yaqi Knight Helmet, my current favorite razor, and turned it into something I didn't even recognize until I took a good look.

So, you didn't mention, how was the shave?

Wow. You've taken the Yaqi Knight Helmet, my current favorite razor, and turned it into something I didn't even recognize until I took a good look.

So, you didn't mention, how was the shave?
I haven't worked up the nerve yet since it's already aggressive without the shims. When I do I may only try the 1.0mm plate.

Top Bottom