What's new

Yaqi slant head

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am consolidating useful info from other threads:

I found the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant after much research. From the Australian Yaqi distributor, I found that this was the most aggressive Yaqi razor.

The head came after a few weeks, and it is perfect. Blade fits tightly, no alignment issues. I only wish certain Italian manufacturers could make their razors at this standard. I will also say that I think this is a completely novel design. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I have never seen a razor that looked remotely like this. The design necessitates a steep angle, which is my preferred way to shave anyway.

Let me preface the review by saying that I have delicate skin combined with a coarse beard that grows in all directions. This makes it exceedingly difficult to find a razor that is efficient enough for a 3 pass shave, without having to do a lot of buffing, that irritates my skin.

When I do find such a razor, it is always too aggressive, so the aggression irritates my skin as well.

The Yaqi razor is my best find ever in my wetshaving journey. This is the most innovative safety razor I have ever had the pleasure of using. The head design is completely novel. It doesn't look elegant but it certainly shaves that way. You can feel the razor removing hairs, but it doesn't particularly hurt. It holds the blade tightly, making blade placement a no brainer.

Most important is that this razor has the best balance of efficiency with non-aggression I have ever seen. It is very loud but not particularly aggressive. It is the most efficient razor I have ever used. Efficiency is just off the charts, yet I have zero irritation even with three full passes.

What I find works best:

• Use a great cream with a great preshave and the DSP method - you want a wet, cushiony lather
  • Steep angle because the cap is so small
  • Try a variety of blades - best that I have found is Nacet

I can count on one hand the number of time I have cut myself with it, in almost two years of shaving.

Just get one. For $10 you can't afford not to.

I get good shaves with my Yaqi slant - almost as good as smooth as with a vintage Tech. problem is, most folks put a head onto a clunky handle that is just plain too heavy. if you don't like your Yaqi Slant or any other similar head, try putting it on a hollow handle like a Gillette Fat Handle or some other hollow handle.

I found the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant after much research...

Let me preface the review by saying that I have delicate skin combined with a coarse beard that grows in all directions. This makes it exceedingly difficult to find a razor that is efficient enough for a 3 pass shave, without having to do a lot of buffing, that irritates my skin...

Just get one. For $10 you can't afford not to.
Wow, this sounds like a perfect match for me! I have delicate skin and unruly tough whiskers.
Question - would this head fit on any standard handle? I have a DE89 in chrome, would this fit?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Wow, this sounds like a perfect match for me! I have delicate skin and unruly tough whiskers.
Question - would this head fit on any standard handle? I have a DE89 in chrome, would this fit?
Yes, any standard handle will work!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks for the quick reply! $7.50 - $3 coupon + FS = winner!
Would you do me a favor? If this gives you great shaves, would you be so kind as to post here?

This thing flies under the radar, for reasons unknown.

Also, I found feathers very rough. For me, Nacets are just sublime when paired with this head.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Also, I found feathers very rough. For me, Nacets are just sublime when paired with this head.
I also find the Nacet works out better and in more razors. @ClumsyBull also made that observation.

I will be getting a Tatara Nodachi in a few days, wonder if I should go with the provided Feather, a Nacet or my general all purpose blade, the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum. I also often use BIC instead of Feather.

Would you do me a favor? If this gives you great shaves, would you be so kind as to post here?

This thing flies under the radar, for reasons unknown.

Done! Ordered today, will receive by end of March. I will post a review in this thread after using. Meantime, I need to find me some Nacets ...

I used it last week, interestingly this is probably the only razor that I can use to give me a "good" shave with ONE pass. The real Merkur Futur is #2

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've had this razor for a while now the first time using it I put in a nacet but when I saw te blade reveal I changed the blade to a ASP thinking this thing is going to take my face off how wrong could I have been. It gave me a nice close shave but was much smoother than what I thought a 2 pass shave with a few touch ups and no nicks weepers or irritation. So next day I loaded it with a brand new Nacet face lathered with some BS Macca root and aloe and away I went for better or worse. To my surprise the shave was even smoother than the days before and much closer 2 pass shave with one very small touch up on my neck and a total BBS. I've been shaving almost daily with this razor using Nacets or GSBs and constantly get a BBS with no cuts weepers or irritation. This razor is quickly becoming my daily driver leaving my poor Fatip piccolo and R41 sitting on the side lines

The Yaqi razor is my best find ever in my wetshaving journey.
this razor has the best balance of efficiency with non-aggression
Fully agree with you. This is the only razor that do a BBS for me. No cuts, no irritation, no buffing and BBS - all for $7,5. It scares with it's look at first but surprises with the result at the end. It feels like you shave with the bare blade only but for me it is more forgiving than, say, Rex Envoy. Tried it with Nacet and Kai - not much of a difference, great results with both blades.

Yaqi-slant 1.jpg

Yaqi-slant 2.jpg

Yaqi-slant 3.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Fully agree with you. This is the only razor that do a BBS for me. No cuts, no irritation, no buffing and BBS - all for $7,5. It scares with it's look at first but surprises with the result at the end. It feels like you shave with the bare blade only but for me it is more forgiving than, say, Rex Envoy. Tried it with Nacet and Kai - not much of a difference, great results with both blades.

View attachment 1407085

View attachment 1407086

View attachment 1407087
Very glad you had a good experience!

Just realized I have one (when they first came out) and another that is one year old. I remember being scared of the first one; and forgot I had 2. Maybe the one I have recently used is the newer version... now I must grow some stubble and compare them side vs side...see if there is any difference. If anyone knows if there is any differences between first batch and last years, I would welcome the input.....

I can say this is way more efficient than the Fatip LoSorto....I tried that one yesterday (piccolo gold) did not take much hair off first pass (head) so I had to use a Rocca w a Feather to finish (was slightly irritating, though).

OK data: the one I have been using the base plate is 24.8mm wide. The other one I found (old , first batch) is 24mm. Topcaps are the same width. Who knows if the bend is any different.... . Maybe tomorrow or Monday I'll try em out

Tried both old and new Yaqi slants, used a new Nacet blade, badger Simpsons and some finish soap. The old (24mm) had more blade chatter and blade feel. Shave was a bit more irritating, got 2 bleeding spots (not usual for me). The other was fairly Smooth (I wonder if I got this one from westcoastshaving? Both are close shaves and I used a Muhle grande handle...... Nacet used to be my favorite blade, now sometimes irritating. I did a head shave w FatBoy and had some burning.

So, final point: old Yaqi slant a bit more aggressive, I don't like the blade chatter. It's the same w the Fatip MK1 vs MK2....chatter and aggressive....

Top Bottom