What's new

Yaqi Final Cut - full brass version

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am confused is the brass different from the chrome ?
Very good question, but I can't answer it as I don't have the Chrome TFC or the new Brass TFC.
The drag of the cap is mentioned to be different from the chromed version, a difference in material. CNC usually also comes with improved tolerances compared to Zamac.

But maybe @GlazedBoker can compare both versions, if there are any changes besides material.
You also do a dangerously good job of endangering my wallet against my initial "not for me" decision, great photos and reports, btw. 😎
I hope you enjoy the Lupo .95 OC as well.

I am confused is the brass different from the chrome ?

Very good question, but I can't answer it as I don't have the Chrome TFC or the new Brass TFC.
The drag of the cap is mentioned to be different from the chromed version, a difference in material. CNC usually also comes with improved tolerances compared to Zamac.

But maybe @GlazedBoker can compare both versions, if there are any changes besides material.
You also do a dangerously good job of endangering my wallet against my initial "not for me" decision, great photos and reports, btw. 😎
I hope you enjoy the Lupo .95 OC as well.

Take a quick look at post #36 gents. I give a bit of a comparison in shave feel between the brass & chrome variant. @Ron R had brought up a real good point on that slight difference between the two razors. And yes @Iridian, I almost folded and caved in wanting to give the OC Lupo a go last night. But, however tempted I was, I steeled myself in my resolve in not breaking shave commitment in finishing the week with the Brass TFC.

On the other hand, I make no implicit guarantee on my shave habits or nuances pertaining to the shave hobby especially when new hardware is practically daring me to use it and break my solemn shave oath.

In other words, I’m just a shaving ”nut bag” and as untrustworthy as a fox in a henhouse. :letterk1:

Take a quick look at post #36 gents.
I've been using an Ambassador pretty much strictly as of late, and I've really been enjoying it. When used on some of its milder settings it's a fantastic razor, though my opinion of it sours a bit above the 3.5 mark for reasons I won't go into here. For half the price and as an equally-interesting razor in my opinion, and considering how much I've enjoyed the zamac TFC, I'm really excited to try out the brass version. I was originally hoping for stainless, but brass works too. Now I just wish they'd release a matching brass version of the stand.

What I'm interested to know is whether this razor is treated with a coating that will resist tarnishing. I really like the matte gold coloring and I don't much want it to discolor like brass inevitably will. I know only time will tell in this case, but I doubt it's been treated.

Thanks for all the detailed info on your experience with it.

Last edited:
First week down shaving exclusively with the Brass TFC. Prior to this razor I mostly used the Tatara Masamune and Merkur Progress, two excellent razors, sometimes a GC .68. Most razors I’ve used will cause little irritation if used occasionally but if a razor is too aggressive then by day 5 I’ll start experiencing irritation. So for the Brass TFC, I’ve found its range to be slightly more aggressive overall than the Merkur Progress, and the lowest setting to be the least bit more aggressive than the lowest setting on the Merkur Progress or the standard Masamune. This razor is definitely was less aggressive than the Rex Ambassador or Pearl Flexi. Compared to the older Gillette Series, I’ve found it to be much smoother with less irritation. All that being said, at the 1 setting, I find it to be acceptable for BBS shaves for a daily shaver who prefers mild razors. I owned a Gibbs adjustable a few years ago and found it extremely smooth, but did not enjoy the razor blade modifications. I would say this razor is slightly more aggressive than the Gibbs, but as far as smoothness goes, it’s honestly a toss up. The grip is adequate and I prefer it to the Progress, although once my hand adapted to the feel of the progress, it didn’t feel like it would slip out of my hand.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Is this the razor that Yaqi modeled after the Gibbs?
It is very similar to the Gibbs in looks and size and uses similar adjustment for getting the desired setting for different shaves.
The nice thing about the razor is it takes standard Gillette DE blades and no messing around with altering the blade to fit the great vintage Gibbs adjustable razor models with Gibbs proprietary blades.
The pure brass Yaqi adjustable razor is like eye candy to a lot of folks who like brass patina and is well built from what I'm reading.
I have the Zamak head with brass handle chromed model and really enjoy that adjustable called the The Final Cut(AKA-TFC).

Last edited:
The TopCap and base Plate are different shapes
Agreed,it's not a one on one copy. But the question was is this Yaqi's version modelled after/inspired by Gibbs.

Top caps and base plates of rex, flexi and taiga are different as well. But they are considered to be Gibbs inspired.

Obviously they are different or we'd all be cutting out notches from de blades like madmen.

I will admit Ron R's reply was more accurate.

Kensurfs just did a short first shave with this razor. It's not his best review and possibly his most clumsy handling of a razor I have seen AND he doesn't really get into much details but it can give you an idea.

I love his video's, his den looks great and he's so chill. This will sound stupid but I just put his vids on at random if I have some spare time, just to relax.

Tldr Hi, my name isn't Shaun, it's Ben and I have a problem.

Well, I finally got it and it's a beaut! I absolutely love the matte brass finish with sparing use of a glossy finish for the grip and the pip, aesthetically it's well done and very elegant. I can't wait to use it; I didn't shave this morning, so I'll have an opportunity tonight with a little over a day's growth as a result. If it's anything like the chrome version, I am in for a treat. :thumbsup:

It seems like this one comes apart a lot easier overall than any of my other adjustables, even the Gibbs clones (of which this is my third). I can break it down into pieces pretty quickly and easily, and there doesn't seem to be any Locktite on anything yet.

I also noticed neither of the handle options are available on Aliexpress any longer. Was this a limited edition, or maybe they're in between production runs?

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I also noticed neither of the handle options are available on Aliexpress any longer. Was this a limited edition, or maybe they're in between production runs?
I am afraid nobody knows for sure.

They often copy American razors for the Australian market where they are sold with fancy names (I think a "Delorian" was a Henson clone e.g., the one Yaqi sold as "Tile" head e.g.) from some shaving websites.
The surplus seems to be sold on Aliexpress by themselves, interestingly rarely as full razor, so far actually always as separate handle and razor head.

They have kept most handles and razor heads in rotation so far.

I am afraid nobody knows for sure.

They often copy American razors for the Australian market where they are sold with fancy names (I think a "Delorian" was a Henson clone e.g., the one Yaqi sold as "Tile" head e.g.) from some shaving websites.
The surplus seems to be sold on Aliexpress by themselves, interestingly rarely as full razor, so far actually always as separate handle and razor head.

They have kept most handles and razor heads in rotation so far.
That's interesting, I didn't know that about Yaqi. I guess in that case I've been lucky to get my hands on what I've received from them. Thanks for the info.

That's ok if they separate the handles from the heads though, I'm personally not a huge fan of most of their modern handle designs anyhow. :p

I have been using the Yaqi TFC as my main razor for months, I absolutely love the way it shaves. It's my favourite adjustable I own from shaving perspective.

I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this one

Well I’ve used the brass TFC a couple times. I opted for the version with the spirals moving up the handle in opposite directions, which I think fits the texture and coloring better than the alternative.

I think it’s too early to have a valid opinion of the razor overall, but I do have a few observations:
  • It’s a lot heavier than I expected. For such a small razor, it seems very heavy.
  • The grip isn’t quite as good as I’d like. It’s not terrible, but considering the weight I’d prefer something more grippy. It looks good though.
  • Drag isn’t terrible, but it does exist. I think this will improve as I become more familiar with the razor.
  • The machining seems pretty clean and the tolerances are tight. I’d love to see a perfectly machined scalloped safety bar on a future iteration. Or an OC in the form of a swappable base plate. Or both. Because…
  • It can be almost entirely disassembled, and I love it. The only exception is that the bottom knob moves freely, but it’s attached to the handle internally somehow.
  • It doesn’t open up quite as wide as the chrome version. My brass model opens to 7.5 so to speak. My chrome model opens to 8.5, which is all the way around past 6 to 2.5. (I’ve never used either of them on these settings, but it’s still worth noting I guess.)

I’m in that phase where I’m not used to the razor, particularly the weight, and I’m not getting great shaves as a result. The chrome TFC is so small and lightweight and maneuverable (not to mention I’m used to using it), but this is much heavier and feels sluggish in my hands if that makes sense. I’m trying not to compare the two and instead evaluate the brass version on its own merits, but of course they’re virtually the same razor so it’s difficult not to.

I love looking at it though, I’ve mentioned before that I think it’s a very good looking razor. It’s also my only gold-colored razor so it’s unique in my collection for that reason. It could be said that it’s slightly gaudy, and I guess it is, but I don’t care. I love it. I will probably work to remove any patina that develops as long as the process doesn’t damage the finish somehow.

I’d like to see a stainless version, but I’m still keeping this one. Once I get more familiar with it I’m confident it’ll render great results.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Well I’ve used the brass TFC a couple times (...)
Thanks for your interesting insights! Heavy weight is something one can get used to, I like that about SS and brass. I am always a bit irritated with Titanium and Aluminum isn't my thing at all. But no/little grip and heavy weight, that is not a good combo. Hope you can find some purchase somewhere on the handle, maybe you will have to adjust your grip to something you are not used to from your zamac/chrome version. Good luck with that!
P.S. wonder if they will make a brass-colored version of their pin stand to match this and other brass handles/razors.

But no/little grip and heavy weight, that is not a good combo.
Let me be clear, I did not have problems gripping the razor, but I also didn't have the confidence that a really grippy handle would lend. Coupled with the weight of this razor it's not a show-stopper by any means, but it's a cause for a minor amount of concern if you're not careful.

@richy240
If you give the twist knob a sharp tug it will come free. It uses a compression ring - same principle as the Merkur Progress.
My zamak TFC also opens up a lot further, and that brings me to my post.

Reading various forums, Gus indicated that once he opened it up, although there was more blade feel, the drag dissappeared. I actually had no intention of turning a new adjuster dial, but hey after reading that, I changed my mind and decided to test the theory. I turned myself a new adjuster dial that would allow me to overclock it.

I'm pleased to say that the drag is significantly less in the "overclock" zone.

Small insert shows the new adjuster dial.

SOTD220811b.jpg

I pretty much draw the line at machining my own parts to correct design flaws in razors (or pretty much anything else). I think when it comes to that, it's just a poorly designed tool. But I guess it makes sense that if you pull the safety bar further from the cap, it would create fewer opportunities for drag.

But I don't think that's necessary anyway. I'm not complaining that the razor is difficult to use, but instead that I don't know it well enough yet. And my suspicion is that the drag will likely disappear when I have more intuitive knowledge of the device and its angle requirements. The same thing happened with the Ambassador, and now I'm getting great shaves out of it. So I'll give this one some time and I'm sure it'll all come into focus before too long.

Top Bottom