What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

Question here: I have a number of Yaqi razors and they are all outstanding.
Reading this thread my appetite to purchase this adjustable was stirred.
However:why would I buy an adjustable razor?
Can anyone explain the reason for having one, even though they have many other?

Question here: I have a number of Yaqi razors and they are all outstanding.
Reading this thread my appetite to purchase this adjustable was stirred.
However:why would I buy an adjustable razor?
Can anyone explain the reason for having one, even though they have many other?
I am sure a brief internet search will give you the most complete answer. However, maybe you like a more aggressive razor with the grain and less so against the grain, maybe after not shaving for a couple of days you prefer mmuch more aggressive, maybe after being sunburnt on the cheek you like a crazy mild razor. An adjustable could do all that.

I am sure a brief internet search will give you the most complete answer. However, maybe you like a more aggressive razor with the grain and less so against the grain, maybe after not shaving for a couple of days you prefer mmuch more aggressive, maybe after being sunburnt on the cheek you like a crazy mild razor. An adjustable could do all that.
Thank you, Alwin. I understand. But since I have (very) aggressive to mild razors, I grab the one I need slash feel like using. As far as I'm concerned I could still purchase this Yaqi, just because I like their razors very much and it seems like a beautiful piece of technique at a real economic price tag. Further than that, I see no real benefit.

Thank you, Alwin. I understand. But since I have (very) aggressive to mild razors, I grab the one I need slash feel like using. As far as I'm concerned I could still purchase this Yaqi, just because I like their razors very much and it seems like a beautiful piece of technique at a real economic price tag. Further than that, I see no real benefit.
Not trying to convince you nor to dissuade you, the decision is yours only.

Got one too. Talk about about impulse buy.
I had actually been following up on the Yaqi site for about 2 weeks to check if the adjustable was available. So when I could push the button I did. I like to tell myself that it was deliberate and not impulsive at all. You already have yours or you just ordered?

I had actually been following up on the Yaqi site for about 2 weeks to check if the adjustable was available. So when I could push the button I did. I like to tell myself that it was deliberate and not impulsive at all. You already have yours or you just ordered?
Just ordered one because of your post.

For the purpose of seeing what the The Final Cut razor can do or, more importantly, can this razor still shave effectively and still provide a comfy shave at its max setting? Basically, is the risk worth the trouble for a marginal acceptance in gain in relative shave terms? I had to find out just out of curiosity for my own shave purposes and just wanted to share what I came across and experienced with todays shave. Took the Yaqi adjustable and set it to as far as it would go and that is a full turn to setting #6+ nearly 3 full more gap sizes on top of the max #6 size setting. In essence the razor was set to nearly #9 but, fell short by a smidge so, I’ll just say it was a healthy 8.75 setting on the dial. Still kept the same Wilky Sword blade from the start as it still had some cutting legs from the last shave earlier this week. Shave is on with a full 3 days worth of whiskers to address.

At full tilt it’s an impressive looking gap and for a second or two I thought to myself “this is either going to be a feisty shave or all downhill from the get go”. Started WTG and went from the sideburn, mid-ear on down to the jawline before the bend towards my neck. And that felt very, very good with plenty of blade feel yet not harsh or abrasive. I still held the razor in a neutral like position, nor close to the cap nor the safety bar and it cut through the whiskers with authority. No blade flex or skipping on each one of the strokes as I cleared out both sides of my face and saw no red spots anywhere. Moved onto my neck and same WTG pass downward from jawline to say an imaginary line just below the Adam’s Apple on each side that culminates just underneath both earlobes on both left and right sides. Lost the angle just slightly on my left side closer to the Adam‘s Apple and felt a bit of harshness from the blade. Made the concerted effort to keep the angle at a neutral position and cleared out the rest of my neck with relative ease. A quick rinse and feel and not a red dot or nic anywhere. Decided to keep it at the max setting and go ATG to see if this would be a make or break pass. Reversed everything and started at the bottom of my neck moving upwards towards the jawline and on up the cheeks/sideburn area. I made sure not to go over any area that I’d just passed without soap as the blade feel is significant but, not terrifyingly so. Slow and methodical approach sort of like shaving with an Ikon Tech or Asylum RX. Easy and steady strokes which was perhaps a bit on the more cautious side as this razor does not exhibit the potentially skin ripping or gouging action that either one of those two razors that I mentioned can do and that’s being extremely careful with those legendary whisker whackers. You can be on point with those two and still pay the price, I know as I’ve sacrificed a few spots on my epidermis to qualm the shave gods. No bueno. Anyhow, I finished my shave with The Final Cut without much fanfare minus that spot that I had mentioned earlier near the Adam’s Apple and a corner of my mouth where a tiny weeper showed itself. But, I was done in two with nothing else to move on. A rinse and feel left no doubt that this was a BBS finish that rivaled some of the best I’ve ever given myself. Did a full alum pass and felt the slightest of heat at the spot mentioned near Sir Adam and dabbed the corner of my mouth where that weeper sprang up. No irritation anywhere else and my face was feeling pretty darn good. I think the Wilky has seen it’s last shave as somewhere during the second pass, I felt that the blade was just starting to get fickle with me and I felt the slightest in tugging in a couple spots. Still it managed to finish the job exceptionally well and that was 5 solid shaves from it. Not bad in my book.

How did it feel? Compared to the Ikon Tech or Asylum RX it was an easier razor to use and manage around my face though, that doesn’t mean it’s an easy shaver at that max setting. It’s easier than the other two razors and yet it gives a near identical quality shave that was without question more comfortable. The real question though is, is it really necessary for one to take it there in the first place? And are there significant gains for one approaching that level of performance from this razor? Yes and no. In the no you have to understand that the settings between 1-6 will be more that sufficient for the far majority of shavers out there with some of those in that group probably never seeing anything past setting #4. It is that efficient (of course depending on growth, hair thickness and skin sensitivities) and quite smooth in giving real close and comfortable shaves. The yes well, I say this with the knowledge in knowing there are a few out there like myself that like to test their own skill set and performance of a said razor. At the same time, there are shavers out there that prefer a 1 to 2 pass shave to save time and potentially avoid skin irritation from multiple passes. These last two reasons would also have to employ shavers with sound technique to exploit performance advantages that a particular razor exhibits or is inherently designed into the razor for those with the curiosity to explore.

In the end, you get a razor that shaves exceptionally well from 1 to whatever setting is your max on The Final Cut from Yaqi. It actually shaves reasonably well at the 1 setting which for me is almost nonexistent with only one other razor in my den that gives me that same performance which is the Rocnel Sailor ‘21 (and of course at a significantly higher cost as compared to the Yaqi but, the precision and make up of the Sailor has to be accounted for as well and I see it as justifiable for what it brings to the shave realm) as nothing else can do that for me in the adjustable razor grouping. 5 shaves in and it has given me some of the best shaves rivaling the more expensive and so called “heavy hitters” in razor wet shave land. And all that for $44 total, shipped. Yes, Brass & Zinc construction but, the price is more than just right and is actually a bargain for what it brings to the table. If we’re going to compare apples to apples, it shaves as good as a Progress/Mergress and throw in the Parker Variant as well while providing a bit more cutting prowess to those if one needs a bit more oomph in their shave routine.

For the money and the proverbial price/performance ratio addict, this is about as good as it’s going to get in the adjustable category. Very good balance, great feel in hand with ease of use by just turning a knob, has a slimmer head profile than either the Progress & Variant and it covers the blade tabs for those that consider that an important factor in acquiring a razor.

Third time was the charm for Yaqi. It’s just a good deal on a good razor, period.

Great shaves to all….

AD2A0DB8-A093-4985-86C1-92C38AA27021.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For the purpose of seeing what the The Final Cut razor can do or, more importantly, can this razor still shave effectively and still provide a comfy shave at its max setting? Basically, is the risk worth the trouble for a marginal acceptance in gain in relative shave terms? I had to find out just out of curiosity for my own shave purposes and just wanted to share what I came across and experienced with todays shave. Took the Yaqi adjustable and set it to as far as it would go and that is a full turn to setting #6+ nearly 3 full more gap sizes on top of the max #6 size setting. In essence the razor was set to nearly #9 but, fell short by a smidge so, I’ll just say it was a healthy 8.75 setting on the dial. Still kept the same Wilky Sword blade from the start as it still had some cutting legs from the last shave earlier this week. Shave is on with a full 3 days worth of whiskers to address.

At full tilt it’s an impressive looking gap and for a second or two I thought to myself “this is either going to be a feisty shave or all downhill from the get go”. Started WTG and went from the sideburn, mid-ear on down to the jawline before the bend towards my neck. And that felt very, very good with plenty of blade feel yet not harsh or abrasive. I still held the razor in a neutral like position, nor close to the cap nor the safety bar and it cut through the whiskers with authority. No blade flex or skipping on each one of the strokes as I cleared out both sides of my face and saw no red spots anywhere. Moved onto my neck and same WTG pass downward from jawline to say an imaginary line just below the Adam’s Apple on each side that culminates just underneath both earlobes on both left and right sides. Lost the angle just slightly on my left side closer to the Adam‘s Apple and felt a bit of harshness from the blade. Made the concerted effort to keep the angle at a neutral position and cleared out the rest of my neck with relative ease. A quick rinse and feel and not a red dot or nic anywhere. Decided to keep it at the max setting and go ATG to see if this would be a make or break pass. Reversed everything and started at the bottom of my neck moving upwards towards the jawline and on up the cheeks/sideburn area. I made sure not to go over any area that I’d just passed without soap as the blade feel is significant but, not terrifyingly so. Slow and methodical approach sort of like shaving with an Ikon Tech or Asylum RX. Easy and steady strokes which was perhaps a bit on the more cautious side as this razor does not exhibit the potentially skin ripping or gouging action that either one of those two razors that I mentioned can do and that’s being extremely careful with those legendary whisker whackers. You can be on point with those two and still pay the price, I know as I’ve sacrificed a few spots on my epidermis to qualm the shave gods. No bueno. Anyhow, I finished my shave with The Final Cut without much fanfare minus that spot that I had mentioned earlier near the Adam’s Apple and a corner of my mouth where a tiny weeper showed itself. But, I was done in two with nothing else to move on. A rinse and feel left no doubt that this was a BBS finish that rivaled some of the best I’ve ever given myself. Did a full alum pass and felt the slightest of heat at the spot mentioned near Sir Adam and dabbed the corner of my mouth where that weeper sprang up. No irritation anywhere else and my face was feeling pretty darn good. I think the Wilky has seen it’s last shave as somewhere during the second pass, I felt that the blade was just starting to get fickle with me and I felt the slightest in tugging in a couple spots. Still it managed to finish the job exceptionally well and that was 5 solid shaves from it. Not bad in my book.

How did it feel? Compared to the Ikon Tech or Asylum RX it was an easier razor to use and manage around my face though, that doesn’t mean it’s an easy shaver at that max setting. It’s easier than the other two razors and yet it gives a near identical quality shave that was without question more comfortable. The real question though is, is it really necessary for one to take it there in the first place? And are there significant gains for one approaching that level of performance from this razor? Yes and no. In the no you have to understand that the settings between 1-6 will be more that sufficient for the far majority of shavers out there with some of those in that group probably never seeing anything past setting #4. It is that efficient (of course depending on growth, hair thickness and skin sensitivities) and quite smooth in giving real close and comfortable shaves. The yes well, I say this with the knowledge in knowing there are a few out there like myself that like to test their own skill set and performance of a said razor. At the same time, there are shavers out there that prefer a 1 to 2 pass shave to save time and potentially avoid skin irritation from multiple passes. These last two reasons would also have to employ shavers with sound technique to exploit performance advantages that a particular razor exhibits or is inherently designed into the razor for those with the curiosity to explore.

In the end, you get a razor that shaves exceptionally well from 1 to whatever setting is your max on The Final Cut from Yaqi. It actually shaves reasonably well at the 1 setting which for me is almost nonexistent with only one other razor in my den that gives me that same performance which is the Rocnel Sailor ‘21 (and of course at a significantly higher cost as compared to the Yaqi but, the precision and make up of the Sailor has to be accounted for as well and I see it as justifiable for what it brings to the shave realm) as nothing else can do that for me in the adjustable razor grouping. 5 shaves in and it has given me some of the best shaves rivaling the more expensive and so called “heavy hitters” in razor wet shave land. And all that for $44 total, shipped. Yes, Brass & Zinc construction but, the price is more than just right and is actually a bargain for what it brings to the table. If we’re going to compare apples to apples, it shaves as good as a Progress/Mergress and throw in the Parker Variant as well while providing a bit more cutting prowess to those if one needs a bit more oomph in their shave routine.

For the money and the proverbial price/performance ratio addict, this is about as good as it’s going to get in the adjustable category. Very good balance, great feel in hand with ease of use by just turning a knob, has a slimmer head profile than either the Progress & Variant and it covers the blade tabs for those that consider that an important factor in acquiring a razor.

Third time was the charm for Yaqi. It’s just a good deal on a good razor, period.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1386349
Great write up Gus with the Yaqi Final cut DE adjustable. You sure have a way with words and was a enjoyable read. I think I will have to purchase one down the road. I don't care for aggressive razors but it was still manageable at it's highest setting for fellows who just like aggression or lots of blade feel. Price to performance ratio is a good way to quickly explain it's highlights also. The razor looks OK also, if a person wants one that has a lot more detail and finish there are some other Gibb style adjustable razors that will fit their needs for a little extra money.

Great write up Gus with the Yaqi Final cut DE adjustable. You sure have a way with words and was a enjoyable read. I think I will have to purchase one down the road. I don't care for aggressive razors but it was still manageable at it's highest setting for fellows who just like aggression or lots of blade feel. Price to performance ratio is a good way to quickly explain it's highlights also. The razor looks OK also, if a person wants one that has a lot more detail and finish there are some other Gibb style adjustable razors that will fit their needs for a little extra money.

Thanks amigo, much appreciated. Honestly though, to some who consider this a budget razor and don’t intend nor have the impression that this will supplant their more expensive & exotic alloy razors are within their right to think that. I for one won’t pack up all my top dollar & high performance razors and send them off to razor b/s/t purgatory for others to contend with. I enjoy the “luxury niche razors” and yet I still appreciate value conscious products that bring a performance & price proposition that makes it accessible for every shaver in the business. We know that for the most part, there are many fly in the pan vendors and producers that are trying to make a quick buck and some of those products leave a lot to be desired. So, when a manufacturer comes in and tries their hat at producing a replica of sorts from an iconic razor that had some kinks to iron out from their first two outings, you try to give them a fair shake and try to be as subjective as possible. Value is still a big word & arguably is still the no.1 reason when a wet shave consumer is debating on whether to spend their dollar on product A or B. I buy razors that interest me regardless of price (not all the time, I have a limit too :001_smile) nor exotic alloy. I also look at form, function and overall value. And that is spread along a wide spectrum of affordability to many different users. To some, $50 is plenty enough and even consider it on the high end of expenditure for a shaving tool while some others think that dropping a couple Ben Franklins is worth the investment for the tool of their choice that has all the bells and whistles from an artisan razor producer.

The argument that many pose is that if they spent $300 greenbacks on a particular tool well, of course it has to shave better than that $30 Gillette Slim or that $50 Rockwell 6C. But, as you know and many here as well, that is not always the case. And in many instances, the lower cost/budgeted razor actually performs just as good as the big dollar/ticket item and in some cases outperforms them as well. I’ve been lucky and blessed to be in a position at times to spend some $$$ on this hobby in both high ticket items and budget featured products with a bias towards neither. If the cheapie dances with the big dogs and then some, that’s a win as it puts a light on something that is of value to the shave community, in my eyes at least.

Do I think that what I put into these posts really does help anyone? I really don’t know but, I would like to think that in some way, shape or form it does in a small way. I think there are others in here that are much better than I in putting their thoughts & experiences down in these posts/threads with better and clearer or more precise data on any particular product. I just wing it and give my $.02 on it and let it ride. Makes it more fun and enjoyable for me.

Happy shaves & a blessed New Year to you my friend….:thumbup1:

For those that are interested, aliexpress still has a few of the all chrome versions of The Final Cut razor. Not sure if I can post the link so, just type into the search box on their website “Yaqi razor” or specifically “The Final Cut razor” and a listing should come right up.

GlazedBoker...
I own a Rex Ambassador. The matt finish does exhibit a minor drag issue, when compared to a highly polished stainless or chrome finish. This issue has been reported by many Rex owners, even with very slick soaps/creams. It appears that the Yaqi has a pretty good chrome finish.
Question: When compared to the Rex, does the Yaqi have a smoother ride (less drag)? Thanks for your response.

GlazedBoker...
I own a Rex Ambassador. The matt finish does exhibit a minor drag issue, when compared to a highly polished stainless or chrome finish. This issue has been reported by many Rex owners, even with very slick soaps/creams. It appears that the Yaqi has a pretty good chrome finish.
Question: When compared to the Rex, does the Yaqi have a smoother ride (less drag)? Thanks for your response.
Short Answer - Yes

GlazedBoker...

Short Answer - Yes

In a nutshell, what shave bro-ham @Clouds has stated. I think blade curvature is not as pronounced as say the Progress and The Final Cut might exhibit a bit more blade exposure/reveal so it’s not as buttery smooth as the Merkur counterpart in my experience so far but, it is very close to that shave feel or if you will profile it as such. It more than makes up for it in shave prowess and with a better balance plus feel to the overall package. Not a premium feel such as the Sailor or the Rex but, for the money it’s a banger.

Happy shaves & a Happy New Year….:thumbsup:

A few pics for those that are intrigued by what some of the available options are out there and how they stack up in size, head profile and overall aesthetics.

From left to right (and these are the only remaining adjustables in my shave den. Had a Taiga but, sold that some time ago and just ordered their Ti version and waiting for that to join the pack in the near future) Parker Variant, Merkur Progress, Rex Ambassador, Yaqi TFC, Rocnel Sailor ‘21 & Gillette Slim. In the background is the Merkur Vision.

8D6D366F-621E-4FF7-874F-1F8AB209082B.jpeg

8E96BD11-18B5-4AC0-A6E5-D49A7A6B815D.jpeg

7B66FB71-24F3-4EF7-97E4-0C1619D9DB7E.jpeg

E86180A4-1F4D-4E58-91DB-80BABBFC63D0.jpeg

D66770BF-11E9-4C0F-B826-1BAABA9296A6.jpeg

3EFC47EF-C7AA-4F37-96AF-515C84C66A68.jpeg

Not a great pic on a side by side revealing blade exposure in relation to the safety bar between the Rex & TFC. Just to give an approximation on similarities or differences without going into full details or specifics of shave plane or razor and blade geometry.

6B006522-9E02-4A14-BBC5-2D1F8D0DDCFD.jpeg

25976B47-023C-420F-9544-2AF681C5CB03.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A few pics for those that are intrigued by what some of the available options are out there and how they stack up in size, head profile and overall aesthetics.

From left to right (and these are the only remaining adjustables in my shave den. Had a Taiga but, sold that some time ago and just ordered their Ti version and waiting for that to join the pack in the near future) Parker Variant, Merkur Progress, Rex Ambassador, Yaqi TFC, Rocnel Sailor ‘21 & Gillette Slim. In the background is the Merkur Vision.

View attachment 1387093
View attachment 1387094
View attachment 1387095
View attachment 1387096
View attachment 1387097
View attachment 1387098

Not a great pic on a side by side revealing blade exposure in relation to the safety bar between the Rex & TFC. Just to give an approximation on similarities or differences without going into full details or specifics of shave plane or razor and blade geometry.

View attachment 1387099
View attachment 1387100
Great pictures of comparing the different adjustable's, Yaqi new adjustable TFC seems to have a thicker cap leading edge closest to the blade edge + the safety bar is scalloped with the width of razor seems slightly wider.
These 3 strengths lead to a more comfortable shave IMO, the Parker Variant is the only adjustable that has a thick top cap leading edge closest to the razor edge and a lot of folks seem to enjoy that razor also.
It's a fine balance of not making top cap to thick or razor to wide because the razor will not shave properly. I'm a firm believer in safety bar serrations and a lot of MFG's do not incorporate this feature to save a few dollars or don't think it helps.
With safety bar serrations you do not have suction of razor effect and it tends not to squeegee the lather protection a way IMO.
Thanks Gus for sharing some great photo's!

Top Bottom