What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

Well, finally there has been some movement after being in LA Int'l Distribution for 13 days. Ordered on the 29th of November. But, what can you do with shipping issues affecting the global marketplace? Just got to roll with it and hope for the best especially during the holiday shipping frenzy. Hopefully it will be delivered within the next week or so. Reviews look quite promising so far. Looking forward to giving it a run....

Well, finally there has been some movement after being in LA Int'l Distribution for 13 days. Ordered on the 29th of November. But, what can you do with shipping issues affecting the global marketplace? Just got to roll with it and hope for the best especially during the holiday shipping frenzy. Hopefully it will be delivered within the next week or so. Reviews look quite promising so far. Looking forward to giving it a run....
Mine seems to be bouncing around nearby processing centers, it's also been "out for delivery" twice now only to go back to a sorting center each time. I should get it some time in the next century.

Alrighty then. Guess what decided to show up today? Yup, the Yaqi Adjustable. I had just mentioned before in the post previous to this that tracking had shown it had left the Los Angeles area and was on its way to the east coast. They must have either flown over the area and had the package parachute in or the shipping system is in complete total chaos in terms of updates, status & delivery. Who the hell knows! Anyhow, I’m glad it’s here so, I’ll shut up and be grateful it made it intact.

Looks good out of the package with a nice chrome finishing job on the top cap and razor. The adjusting plate looks sort of crystallized in finish but, that’s no biggie. The feel in hand is quite nice with a good balance geared slightly towards the head while also exhibiting good knurling on the handle. I can’t speak of any previous iterations of the Yaqi Adjustable in only that in reading about it across the shave forums, they were not up to spec or standards for what Yaqi was shooting for. I’ve never shaved with one so I can’t give feedback on earlier models versus the latest V3/The Final Cut razor in my possession. I installed a fresh Wilkinson Sword blade and checked out alignment and it looks pretty spot on as @Clouds and a few others here had mentioned previously. The adjustment moves nicely without feeling flimsy or too stiff. The bottom knob releases the top cap with ease and attaches to it with equal action. That knob also stays attached a la the Rex Ambassador which to me is a nice touch. Might bother a shaver or two who would perhaps like to disassemble their razors completely but, not a dealbreaker for me. I did notice that blade support in this razor does not extend further out as compared to other razors. There still is some space from the pinch point to the edge of the blade that could be a factor in blade rigidity or blade deflection/flex when in action cutting through whiskers. Only using it though will tell me if that is an inherent issue with the V3. I do have a couple of razors that also don’t offer total support for the blade and they have performed quite well. We will see as I get to run this razor for this evenings shave. Another thing is that this razor goes a full turn plus almost 3 full adjustment sizes past the 6 setting. It’s a formidable gap and one that has me curious on how it will shave at its very limit. That we’ll check further down the road.

I’ll be gearing up for a full weeks of shaves with The Final Cut Yaqi Adjustable and put it through its paces from min to max adjustments. I’m preparing to get a quick shave in just for some preliminary thoughts & observances. Those will follow in a bit.

A few pics below with finish and adjustment settings at min & max settings….

51A217D0-02F6-486E-9781-01D50DDC7F69.jpeg

969B45DF-5ABF-4133-9E51-0CB5D4262D61.jpeg

FBB5EC75-DC9C-4DCA-98C2-B6157EAC2B1A.jpeg

6D3C8186-B0E2-4695-810B-58E348673A32.jpeg

7730EC7C-18F4-4B8A-96EB-D52CFC7BFC36.jpeg

FD47822C-7BD7-48B4-A586-4066865E4C66.jpeg

0B53B2FD-2EE9-4296-8878-56FDF3B16CFE.jpeg

E21A3F00-1FFC-4E29-B5AC-F3396AB7A331.jpeg

B65FFDFE-A07B-4844-83E6-C361FF8F1322.jpeg

Attachments

• 61A882C8-8B98-44CE-9163-3462EAAECB5C.jpeg
    61A882C8-8B98-44CE-9163-3462EAAECB5C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
First preliminary results are; quite good actually. Nothing groundbreaking nor run of the mill. A 3 pass shave on almost 24 hours of growth. One tiny weeper (on me, not the razor. Just being overzealous on the chin) and no irritation nor cuts. Used setting 3 for the first pass and dropped it down to setting 2 for the last two passes. Still plenty efficient while being easy on the face. Like I said, it was light growth and a first shave but, $33 for an adjustables that actually shaves, handles and feels good. Yaqi stepped up……

Great shaves to all.

68CA9B93-A469-433D-95CD-B11134552DFD.jpeg

Just got mine today, which is weird since tracking showed it the the next state over... it still says that actually. Mail is really weird right now with the holidays.

The only complaint I have with it so far is the finicky blade loading.

I've gotten spoiled by the gamechanger where you don't have to mess around with blade alignment, it would be easier if the tabs weren't covered.

The Shave itself went just fine once I got the blade loaded. A little too aggressive feeling for me for a daily driver even on the low settings but I do tend to prefer mildish razors.

DFS with no irritation or weepers so all in all a good shave.

2 shaves in with the Yaqi Final Cut adjustable. Went with 5 on the dial and finished with 3 for today’s shave. A lot more blade feel but, not in an intimidating factor unless your all thumbs. It gave precise feedback on what it was doing from first stroke to last. 3 really good passes that made short work of 2 days growth. Very nice little razor so far…..

D21C8B47-E567-4875-BD73-C08668B5DE2F.jpeg

My second shave on my Yaqi Final Cut.

I used it at 6 for the entire shave but switched to WTG then ATG. I ensured that I used little to no pressure and let the razor do the work. There is blade feel but it's not unpleasant. I needed to buff my normal spots.

After this shave, I believe that it still retains its top spot as "best bang for buck current adjustable"
(Although as of writing this, I think that they are sold out.)

sotd2114.jpg

206C10B4-0809-4838-A224-60EEFCCB1A58.gif

Real nice shave this Christmas morning. Set it to 4 and finished with 2. An easy yet nicely efficient shave. This razor actually shaves quite effectively from 1-6 with excellent audible feedback. Not a screamer but, it lets you know what it’s doing. And yet if you aren’t perfect with your technique it still exhibits some forgiveness unless your up in the higher ranges. Impressive so far and looking forward to taking it to its limit in the next few days as this one that I have goes to 6+ and an additional 2.5 settings. Tempting.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Great shaves to all…

6CD30814-88A1-453E-A9CF-128EAC305DBB.jpeg

Where is it from?

It looks like a V2 with a Black handle. The numbering on it is wrong (like a V2)
On a V2 the 4 and 6 are swopped around.

Very interesting and esthetically pleasing razor.

Anybody has an idea which razor has a flatter top cap and a narrower head, the Yaqi adjustable or the Pearl flexi? I like narrow heads with protruding blade ends because I shave under the nostrils sideways / East-West. I suppose there will be no protruding blade ends on either, but would still prefer the narrower one. Looking at pictures I would say the Yaqi has the more nimble head, but pictures can be misleading.

More insights about these two razors are of course welcome. Thanks.

Very interesting and esthetically pleasing razor.

Anybody has an idea which razor has a flatter top cap and a narrower head, the Yaqi adjustable or the Pearl flexi? I like narrow heads with protruding blade ends because I shave under the nostrils sideways / East-West. I suppose there will be no protruding blade ends on either, but would still prefer the narrower one. Looking at pictures I would say the Yaqi has the more nimble head, but pictures can be misleading.

More insights about these two razors are of course welcome. Thanks.

Out of my own personal experience, though still early I prefer the shave ability and the results of the Yaqi adjustable over the Pearl Flexi. Now, I only had the Pearl Flexi for about 2 weeks and managed about 8-10 shaves with it. I quickly moved it on to the b/s/t. For the money it is a very nice shaver but, I had/have other adjustables that for me performed better at the expense of nearly all of them costing substantially more than the Flexi. The Final Cut Yaqi adjustable is better than half the cost of the Flexi and it gives a bit more blade feel at nearly equal comfort of the Flexi. The feedback that it provides is more appreciative on my end as I prefer a bit more blade feel in my shave while still trying the find that compromise of smoothness & easy face feel that leads overall to a more comfy shave. In short, the Yaqi lets me have my cake and it too. It also exhibits a bit less weight with good balance though it’s not a light razor. It has the knurling providing a more positive feel with excellent tactile grip. The blade tabs are completely covered so, for those that prefer covered ends, that’s a plus. The Flexi has a much better alloy throughout its whole build which is brass while the Yaqi is both brass & zinc. Potentially the Flexi will hold up better in long term use over the Yaqi and it has a leg up on it as well in terms of the build quality the Flexi over the Yaqi. I can’t give you any information pertinent to shaving under the nostrils as I maintain a stache. The head seems compact enough to work in that area so I don’t think it will be an issue with many but, I’m sure some will have an issue with it on that aspect.

Shave #4 earlier today with the same blade set up, which is the Wilkinson Sword. I went with the #6 setting and went from there on what was being reduced and adjust accordingly. First pass was just an excellent whisker removing show. Great to excellent blade feel while still showing some good manners on the smoothness end of it. Blade ripped through the hairs without skipping a beat or any blade chatter whatsoever. Brought it down to #4 setting and went ATG on this pass. Nearly flawless and a total clearing of the whiskers from neck to face. A tiny blood spot as the razor annihilated a tiny pimple between the chin and lower lip. Didn’t even feel it that’s how smooth & efficient the shave was going. A quick alum stab and the trickle of blood ceased. Pass three I set it to #2.5 and it was just a formality to clear out the Adams Apple area and a few stragglers still lingering along the jawline & chin. Total BBS finish that was clean, smooth and hair free. Minus the pimple eradication, it was a flawless shave without any other incidents including irritation free skin. Best shave yet.

Great day and shaves to all….

4AA240FB-2C4A-4F44-B778-C5B791C6D1E2.jpeg

Out of my own personal experience, though still early I prefer the shave ability and the results of the Yaqi adjustable over the Pearl Flexi. Now, ... ... the Flexi over the Yaqi. I can’t give you any information pertinent to shaving under the nostrils as I maintain a stache. The head seems compact enough to work in that area so I don’t think it will be an issue with many but, I’m sure some will have an issue with it on that aspect.
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. My gut said Yaqi, but great to hear from a person who used both. I have 2 Futurs that I like a lot, but just looking for another different adjustable. The Rex probably feels too much like the Futur, and the Taiga's adjustment knob just ruins the otherwise good looks on top of the different price point.

Now I hope they will be back in stock some time soon. I check the the final cut page a couple of times a day, but no luck so far.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. My gut said Yaqi, but great to hear from a person who used both. I have 2 Futurs that I like a lot, but just looking for another different adjustable. The Rex probably feels too much like the Futur, and the Taiga's adjustment knob just ruins the otherwise good looks on top of the different price point.

Now I hope they will be back in stock some time soon. I check the the final cut page a couple of times a day, but no luck so far.

I know for a fact that they made an announcement somewhere that they will have them back in stock, barring any setbacks sometime in mid January. I’m looking at perhaps even getting another but, in the Slate Grey option as that one looks a bit more aesthetically appealing to me and is closer in scheme to the legendary Gibbs Reglable. We’ll see.

Happy shaves…. :straight:

... the Slate Grey option as that one looks a bit more aesthetically appealing to me and is closer in scheme to the legendary Gibbs Reglable....

I would prefer the grey as well for the same reasons. I am not always a fan of a black handle, but in this case it is gorgeous. Anyway, waiting game.

I like the look of the slate handle as well. I hope these become a regular item. If/when they are back in stock I will try to snag one.

I know for a fact that they made an announcement somewhere that they will have them back in stock, barring any setbacks sometime in mid January. I’m looking at perhaps even getting another but, in the Slate Grey option as that one looks a bit more aesthetically appealing to me and is closer in scheme to the legendary Gibbs Reglable. We’ll see.

Just ordered a chrome one. No black handle available though. Can't wait to try it, so just grabbed the opportunity.

Top Bottom