What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

My Yaqi is now working as it should. I received the taps and first made the handle to ensure that my theory worked. As I indicated in an earlier post, there is no stop in the handle - such a small mistake. Once I confirmed my "thoughts" I then made the twist and the adjuster knobs to complete the job and shortened the handle about 7mm to what I prefer. The adjuster knob has a nice big red dot that I can now see.

The handle was inspired by an Italian Radimi. I've been pretty keen to make one but didn't have a need for another handle until this popped up.

My shaving experience differs to yours.
I find the DE89 fixed head that this was based on to be a mild shaver. On the lowest setting this is about the same. When you open up the gap it turns into a pretty decent shaver. I found that it has some blade feel and expected it to be more efficient then it is. There is also a bit of drag but my vintage Personna and an Aluminium Gibbs both have more so I don't see it as a big negative.

Overall, I managed a BBS in 2Passes plus some touch-ups.

SOTD210316.jpg

My Yaqi is now working as it should. I received the taps and first made the handle to ensure that my theory worked. As I indicated in an earlier post, there is no stop in the handle - such a small mistake. Once I confirmed my "thoughts" I then made the twist and the adjuster knobs to complete the job and shortened the handle about 7mm to what I prefer. The adjuster knob has a nice big red dot that I can now see.

The handle was inspired by an Italian Radimi. I've been pretty keen to make one but didn't have a need for another handle until this popped up.

My shaving experience differs to yours.
I find the DE89 fixed head that this was based on to be a mild shaver. On the lowest setting this is about the same. When you open up the gap it turns into a pretty decent shaver. I found that it has some blade feel and expected it to be more efficient then it is. There is also a bit of drag but my vintage Personna and an Aluminium Gibbs both have more so I don't see it as a big negative.

Overall, I managed a BBS in 2Passes plus some touch-ups.

Dude, I’m impressed! When you design and manufacture your own adjustable DE, message me. I’ll buy it!

Sorry to hear but thanks for the review. I’m still hoping Heritage Collection Shaving manages to complete their original project and put out a quality, Gibbs replica, that stays true to the original design (but adapted for standard blades of course). Alas, their website hasn’t changed for many months so who knows what is happening or not happening.

I'm pretty sure that the Heritage has the same problem as the Yaqi, so I offered to take a look for him.
He asked some questions, I send him a pic of the problem and offered to make him a handle that corrected the issue in return for a head - but nothing...
I personally think that he has lost interest in the project.

Going by an interview I heard with him on Lather Talk he’s a pretty busy guy, but yeah the site hasn’t changed in quite awhile. The razor pictured on the Heritage site looks great, but I’m worried it’s gonna be pricey for a Chinese made razor. That’s not based on anything other than the brushes are made in China and somewhat pricey. I do love the look of the brushes and everything I’ve heard says they’re of quality so I’m hoping the Gibbs replica is as well.
I'm pretty sure that the Heritage has the same problem as the Yaqi, so I offered to take a look for him.
He asked some questions, I send him a pic of the problem and offered to make him a handle that corrected the issue in return for a head - but nothing...
I personally think that he has lost interest in the project.

Used it 2nd time.
Vikings Sword 2
Muhle synth
Fitjar
Now the razor (number are not in order, mine starts at 6, so I guess turning to the left 4 #'s is where I used it); maybe that is a 4/6?

2+ passes, was smooth, no accidents, close, really not irritating (to the skin).

It does work, but its frustrating not knowing where you are....; the actual gap looks large, but it does not feel bad as it looks.
Shave was so close I did not shave next day.

I received mine and immediately asked for a refund. I found this not usable or worth trying. I followed the instructions and it was dumb. This was the exchange between yaqi and I
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

- Fayiz D.
I'll give you $5 credit...... did you finally get ALL your money back?

I am still debating.....the razor is a pain in the rear end.....sometimes when I read those messages I wonder what on earth they are thinking...... it's like a different train of thought....

I'll give you $5 credit...... did you finally get ALL your money back?

I am still debating.....the razor is a pain in the rear end.....sometimes when I read those messages I wonder what on earth they are thinking...... it's like a different train of thought....
I did get my money. Well most. They sent $27 goods and services so I got $25 and change. Good enough. I'm not sending this back as it isnt worth paying postage so whatever. They never asked for it back or gave a return postage

- Fayiz D.

Let me start by saying that I am not condoning anything that Yaqi have done and the QC on this is simply not there.
That said - All I wanted was a razor that I would be happy to use so I set about fixing the issues that I had with mine.
The bad numbering you can't change and this post is for anyone that wants to fix the dial so that it starts on 1.

The center piece needs to be twisted in relation to the adjuster plate. Its actually two pieces so it does twist.
The arrow in the left picture points to what has to twist and the tool that I use to do so, but really all you need is something to grip it and twist it without marking it. The right hand picture shows it in position ready to adjust it. Just give it a small twist, assemble it and check - repeat if necessary.

BTW - The same thing happens to some Gibbs' at some point.

Yaqi Dial Adjust 01.jpg
Yaqi Dial Adjust 02.jpg

Mine never had uneven blade-gap. All Pearl did to fix that was fit a stronger spring apparently.

I picked up one of these recently, so thought I'd share my thoughts.

Firstly, the build and quality. It feels reasonably solid and of decent construction. QC needs a little attention though; the red dot's paint was smeared around the dial a little, which was easily removed with a cocktail stick. Also, the numbers are in the wrong order (1-2-3-6-5-4).

The blade gap is ever so slightly uneven on one side. It's so minor I can't get it to show in a photo, but it's there.

Moving onto the adjustment, it's an usual setup. You have to loosen the dial at the bottom, then loosen the handle, then make the adjustment. Once done, tighten the handle, then the bottom dial. It's easy enough to do once you've got the hang of it.

Shave wise, one side of the razor gave different audio feedback to the other. One side is quieter, the other louder. I can't visually see any difference in exposure, so I'm assuming the blade is clamped down more firmly on one side than the other

No issues at all paired with a Nacet. Smooth and comfortable with a good range of adjustment. I started on 3.5 for 3 passes, and switched up to 6 for some final touch ups. Between 2 and 3 feels like a DE89/R89/34C. 3.5 feels somewhere around a Rocca/3ONE6. 6 feels a little above that.

There's no arguing with the final results. BBS, no nicks, cuts or irritation, and a pleasant experience.

The QC issues mean I can't recommend it at this stage. If Yaqi can get their act together on the QC, we can have a pretty good adjustable here for the price. Until then, it's one to avoid.

Attachments

• PSX_20210328_112313-01.jpeg
    PSX_20210328_112313-01.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 30
The easiest way to get a refund from Aliexpress in case whatever you've ordered isn't working properly or it doesn't match the description is to break it and take pictures of it and send them to the seller and tell him that it arrived that way. Obviously, you should not confirm that your thing has arrived and that everything is ok in order for that to work.

I've received a couple of things in the past and they either didn't match the description or they look like they could break at any time, and since they are ok at the moment, I can't really complain so I had to damage them.

I did get my money. Well most. They sent $27 goods and services so I got $25 and change. Good enough. I'm not sending this back as it isnt worth paying postage so whatever. They never asked for it back or gave a return postage

- Fayiz D.
Ok..so we have a fix that works much better....i just got mine yesterday and have been fiddling with it for about a day trying to figure out how to move the dial without opening everything up.

Here is my fix.
1. Put it together like its supposed to...ring goes in both ways but do it so it tightens up to number one...well it stops slightly short of 1 in my razor.
2. Now loosen the bottom piece to release the head and unscrew the middle piece of the handle so you can loosen the ring.
3. Rotate ...unscrew the ring anticlockwise and go two rounds till you reach 1 again.
4. Now tighten the middle piece till.it hits the ring.
5. Lock the head in with the bottom piece.
6. The razor now.looks like it has massive gap..it is basically on setting 13.
7. Once the bottom is locked with the head, the middle piece get tightened...rotate the ring back two circles.to.get back to.setting one...
Tighten the head with the bottom pin.

Now you are.back at setting 1 and can rotate the dial ring without fiddling with the handle....you take take it beyond 6 ..all the way to 13...

I will be using this tonight and will.report

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It moves....I thought I had it set....wasn't going to get blade out for a while.....but the gradual/spinner moved....
Also when changing blades...better to take it to its max position with the biggest gap so the spinner hits the middle piece...then unlock the head ..change blades and lock head back in...that keeps the middle piece in position and does not let it move

Ok..so we have a fix that works much better....i just got mine yesterday and have been fiddling with it for about a day trying to figure out how to move the dial without opening everything up.

Here is my fix.
1. Put it together like its supposed to...ring goes in both ways but do it so it tightens up to number one...well it stops slightly short of 1 in my razor.
2. Now loosen the bottom piece to release the head and unscrew the middle piece of the handle so you can loosen the ring.
3. Rotate ...unscrew the ring anticlockwise and go two rounds till you reach 1 again.
4. Now tighten the middle piece till.it hits the ring.
5. Lock the head in with the bottom piece.
6. The razor now.looks like it has massive gap..it is basically on setting 13.
7. Once the bottom is locked with the head, the middle piece get tightened...rotate the ring back two circles.to.get back to.setting one...
Tighten the head with the bottom pin.

Now you are.back at setting 1 and can rotate the dial ring without fiddling with the handle....you take take it beyond 6 ..all the way to 13...

I will be using this tonight and will.report

This worked but the blade gap is still really badly uneven.

- Fayiz D.

Top Bottom