What's new

Wyoming Nephrite Jade hone

You mean a subsequent polish or the stones together? I feel like you mean the first

Together.
I would be very interested to see the effect of each upon the other.
But they're your stones, so if you have any misgivings then you definitely shouldn't.

Last edited:
I have a very fine and hard hornfels that works well for knives when rubbed with a washita. It doesn't appear that the washita is contributing to the slurry when I do this. Without the slurry, or surface prep, it's too slow to do much of anything.

so i took a short break and was testing a coticule.. back to the jade.

i took the jade up to very fine surface prep ~1500 and it definitely has a polishing effect. i don't understand metal mechanics but if it's smearing with such little pressure, i understand it less than i thought. I realize i need a bit more structured testing, but thats so slow, so haphazard testing it is.

the water on the 1500 surface barely stays on, it looked reminiscent of the leidenfrost effect, and every time i use the jade after a some other stone, there is this slight crackling noise for only 2 laps like a thin hard snow underfoot. definitely polishing, but no visual swarf. shave tests from 5K to 1500 jade aren't anything to write home about. not sure thats a surprise.

i dont exactly have odd pieces of arks to try, my ark/washita collection is kind of small and at the moment i wasn't feeling rubbing them together just yet. maybe later if i pick up some smaller arks that i don't feel bad about doing the rub. unless anyone wants to send a small natural bout my way to test.

however, i have a few coticule bouts so i slurried up the jade surface which immediately killed that leidenfrost surface effect. after a couple dozen laps with what looks iike fresh bevel sides to the affected apex, i taped up the razor spine, washed off the coti slurry and tried the jade alone and i can definitely see the polishing on a secondary bevel reveal or whatever it could be called.

i'll give it a shave test soon.

Rebeveled the razor from 1500 > 12K on shapton kuromakos to set a baseline and shaved off it to make sure i remembered the feel.

Grabbed a small piece of vintage washita and rubbed it on the jade, hard to tell how the jade was really affected, but the washita contact areas shined right up.

The area around the apex looks a bit more polished and the apex looks affected.

I’ll give a test shave tomorrow.

2E7C46C9-E44B-4E5D-AA98-37EFABDBE8C1.jpeg

I've incorporated 2 similar GD66s into the testing (slightly different usage in high/fine progression and had a couple shaves off each razor, looked under a scope before after many times, and the shaves are good, they don't feel like they are going to slice me open at any moment and they definitely don't feel like it's under 10-12K in cutting hairs, but the edge feels different.

the washita makes no slurry off the jade, no mater how hard or long i rub these stones togethr, and some marker testing on the washita was really odd. little to no wear on the areas i figured would be most affected. maybe the marker ink goes deeper into spaces and is harder to get contact with.

You should try a piece of soft slate on it after coming off an 8k or a worn in washita. I've noticed that slate, bbw, and different hardness coticules on a black or translucent ark can do cool things with a razor and a knife. You should try everything.

You should try a piece of soft slate on it after coming off an 8k or a worn in washita. I've noticed that slate, bbw, and different hardness coticules on a black or translucent ark can do cool things with a razor and a knife. You should try everything.

Back to the jade testing after a bit, 5k to some slate and jnat slurries and a only water polish. The slurries definitely add some effects but not a lot of swarf. It’s an interesting base and polisher.

The shaves off this i think are being biased by the specific razor i am using. I think i need to try a different one. Or perhaps not water as a hone lube.

Top Bottom