What's new

Wunderbar is back (a small batch)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
This is your chance to get the predecessor of the Superslants. It rather shaves shallow than steep, if this is your thing, Italian Barber just sent me a mail with this info:

UPDATE: October 6, 2023 - NOW AVAILABLE! We have had so many customers ask for the Wunderbar to come back so we have decided to run a small batch of them for those who missed out when they were available.

This is your chance to get the predecessor of the Superslants. It rather shaves shallow than steep, if this is your thing, Italian Barber just sent me a mail with this info:

UPDATE: October 6, 2023 - NOW AVAILABLE! We have had so many customers ask for the Wunderbar to come back so we have decided to run a small batch of them for those who missed out when they were available.

I'm not a fan of Slants but I'm curious, have you ever tried a Wunderbar and a Superslant?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Which of his do you prefer?
I will sum it up, but searching on B&B with my username and Wunderbar or L3 will give some additional insights.

The Wunderbar is a marvel of a razor, it gives a superclose shave but also has very little warning. I cut away a chunk of chin skin, didn't feel it till I looked and noticed a slab of chin on the razor cap. Nice, huh?

If you like the feeling of just suddenly everything is gone and you felt nothing, the Wunderbar is supreme. It also gives a super close shave. The drawback is, with little feedback I often miss stubble and have to touch, doing corrections with the Wunderbar when necessary also suffers due to lack of feedback.

The L-Series of Superslants is supposedly between L2 and L3 in Wunderbar territory. But it shaves with a steeper angle and gives better feedback and fair warning, unlike the Wunderbar. It is supposedly also easier to machine, the bent of the blade in the cap more dramatic. Some people reported broken blades. I only found them deformed enough not to be able or even trying to use them in another razor after putting them in that vice of a razor.

The L3 was not quite up to the Wunderbar level of efficiency, but I liked it due to better feedback and shaving at a steeper angle, which I prefer.

The L3++ OC finally surpasses the Wunderbar, higher efficiency, better feedback, but also a drawback, it is vicious. But unlike the Wunderbar it does bark before biting. When the Wunderbar does cut into skin, one often doesn't feels it right away. Or before, for that matter.

That's why I prefer the L3++ OC. The Wunderbar is one of my near favorites, but I always wished it would have some more tacticle feedback. For me it was almost like shaving blind and without feedback, but the results were stunning nevertheless.

I will sum it up, but searching on B&B with my username and Wunderbar or L3 will give some additional insights.

The Wunderbar is a marvel of a razor, it gives a superclose shave but also has very little warning. I cut away a chunk of chin skin, didn't feel it till I looked and noticed a slab of chin on the razor cap. Nice, huh?

If you like the feeling of just suddenly everything is gone and you felt nothing, the Wunderbar is supreme. It also gives a super close shave. The drawback is, with little feedback I often miss stubble and have to touch, doing corrections with the Wunderbar when necessary also suffers due to lack of feedback.

The L-Series of Superslants is supposedly between L2 and L3 in Wunderbar territory. But it shaves with a steeper angle and gives better feedback and fair warning, unlike the Wunderbar. It is supposedly also easier to machine, the bent of the blade in the cap more dramatic. Some people reported broken blades. I only found them deformed enough not to be able or even trying to use them in another razor after putting them in that vice of a razor.

The L3 was not quite up to the Wunderbar level of efficiency, but I liked it due to better feedback and shaving at a steeper angle, which I prefer.

The L3++ OC finally surpasses the Wunderbar, higher efficiency, better feedback, but also a drawback, it is vicious. But unlike the Wunderbar it does bark before biting. When the Wunderbar does cut into skin, one often doesn't feels it right away. Or before, for that matter.

That's why I prefer the L3++ OC. The Wunderbar is one of my near favorites, but I always wished it would have some more tacticle feedback. For me it was almost like shaving blind and without feedback, but the results were stunning nevertheless.
Thank you Sir for the short but complete summary
Allota Wunderbar is not for me, I'm not for razors where there is a total absence of blade
At this point I would prefer Ss L3 than blade feedback.
Instead, what are the differences between L3, L3+ and L3++? The blade sensation

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Instead, what are the differences between L3, L3+ and L3++? The blade sensation
Gap and aggression.

Quote from IB

The RazoRock Superslant will have three core levels of aggression, from L1(MILD) to L3(AGGRESSIVE), but within these core levels there are 4 unique base plates including the OC(open comb) to dial in the shave even further. Each and every base plate will be perfectly compatible with one universal top cap meaning you can change the way the Superslant shaves simply by swapping base plates.

Please keep in mind that within each level, the addition of a PLUS sign increases the aggression. (Example: Level 1 which would be the mildest group available - L1, L1+, L1++,L1++OC...L1 would be the mildest and L1++OC would be the most aggressive in this grouping)

I also lost a piece of face to a slant. I guess we are like shark attack survivors that get back out on the surfboard. I have to tell you, this is a terrifying commercial for the Wunderbar. For those that want one, act fast. If they sent me an email, they sent anyone that has purchased from them before. On the missing face chunk topic, I've never had any damage near what I suffered with any other razor including a straight.

Sorry for asking...so you prefer SS L3 oc both for the greater efficiency and for the greater blade feedback
Instead, the difference between an L3++ and an L3++ OC?

I also lost a piece of face to a slant. I guess we are like shark attack survivors that get back out on the surfboard. I have to tell you, this is a terrifying commercial for the Wunderbar. For those that want one, act fast. If they sent me an email, they sent anyone that has purchased from them before. On the missing face chunk topic, I've never had any damage near what I suffered with any other razor including a straight.

So you put me in trouble... I almost take a Wunderbar 🤣

🤣🤣

I have owned the Wunderbar for a very long time now and haven't used it for years now but should really give it a shot. I believe when I bought it at the time it came with a radio knob handle which is currently not being made.

My recollections of it is that it was a fairly efficient but great razor, the reason why I put it down was that it bit me on the upper lip the last time I used it (user error) but that aside it was a fairly great shaver. You just can't go into using a razor like that by being intimidated or apprehensive as you'll certainly have a terrible shave, that goes for any razor or blade really but some razors are just less forgiving than others.

It would be nice if Razorock were to make a few of their older Lupo DLC Razors too some day. I always regretted missing out on that one.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Sorry for asking...so you prefer SS L3 oc both for the greater efficiency and for the greater blade feedback
Instead, the difference between an L3++ and an L3++ OC?
I had a L3 SB and later a L3++ OC. I kept the OC because I liked it better. It's more aggressive but also gives a bloody close shave. Particularly if you'd don't pay attention. 😎

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Sorry for asking...
Let me add, there is rarely or even never a reason for not asking! ✌️

But beware when asking a single person like me for an opinion on a razor, or hoping for an universal consensus. If you know your preferences and how this or that razor performs for that person, there is always uncertainty how a razor will perform for you.

After quite some razors I am still regularly surprised how much I like this or that razor, thankfully mostly positively.

For instance, the Yaqi Harlequin, Mellon and Lamba Ares totally blew me away. Particularly as the latter are rather milder razors I usually don't enjoy that much.

Or the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC compared to the 1.5 SB. Unexpectedly it didn't have only another comb, but also quite some geometry changes that worked out positively for me.

I cannot tell you which of the three L-plates you would like. If you would rather have the normal or the + or ++ version.

Italianbarber has a graphic on their website that might help you figure out what you could try.

The main difference between Wunderbar and Superslant is besides feedback the shaving angle. The Wunderbar shaves more by riding the cap, the SuperSlant goes more towards riding the bar, steeper angle. I personally prefer sitting at the bar. ✌️

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve had a Wunderbar now for 5-6yrs. It was my daily driver for 3-4yrs but as others have said if you’re not careful it will bite, and bite hard. I use it now when I have 3-4 days growth WTG only for a 1st pass then follow up with a RR Gamechanger. The nice thing about the Wunderbar is that I could use literally any blade in it and get a great shave.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have the Wunderbar and two options for the Superslant; L2OC and L3SB.

I keep hearing that the Wunderbar will bite occasionally. Ha. Every once in a while it spits on its hands, hoists the black flag and begins slitting throats, to somewhat misquote H.L. Mencken. But that's part of its charm. (OK, it's not that bad and I often complain about people "over-un-hyping" slants. My bad.)

My honest opinion is that the Wunderbar is also a tool for learning mindfulness. It gives wonderful shave when properly used.

What you're holding when you're holding a Superslant is a razor that's been the focus of an intense effort to keep the lovely shave of the Wunderbar while also dialing back the razor's less admirable attitude. Without that, it's not a Wunderbar but let's not focus on the negatives. The Superslant is a very smooth razor. I haven't yet tried the L3OC but that's on my "maybe" list. I'm really happy with the L2OC. I tend to like OC better than SB, but I'll also say that the L3SB shaves as well as the L2OC which I why I still have that plate hanging around.

If you get a Wunderbar while you can you will never wonder if you should have done so. That comfort may or may not be worth the price of admission to you. :)

O.H.

My honest opinion is that the Wunderbar is also a tool for learning mindfulness. It gives wonderful shave when properly used.

This. I have shaved a lot with the WB and not found it to be fickle or untrustworthy. Nor have I suffered any awful cuts; the odd weeper when I first used it was the worst I can recall. It's fearsome reputation is overstated, for mine.

I haven't used a Superslant, for the reason that the Wunderbar left me no reason to want to acquire one. :)

I was able to FINALLY get one.......always sold out before..... Well used it today, Gillette Plat #2-3; 3 day beard....and I did not even feel it cut.....it was one of the best shaves ever.......close, smooth, effortless, no irritation.....who could ask for anything more.... Soap SV.......Ok I must admit: for some reason in the last 2-3m, if I apply balm after shaving it burns....it did to some extent....no idea why...
Going to save some $$$ with NO more balms

Top Bottom