What's new

WSP Shaving Cream

I just found out recently that WSP is coming out with shaving creams. Their Formula T line of soap has been in my top 5 since I first cracked a tin of Gaelic Tweed, and I have high hopes for the creams. I was fortunate enough to check my email a few minutes after receiving the June newsletter from WSP, which included an announcement that a few tubs of pre-release cream were available, and immediately hopped on the website and ordered one. I'm really excited about this, and will post a review once it gets here and I get a chance to try it.

I know he has put a lot of work into getting the cream "just right", I hope it lives up to Lee's expectations. Releasing in the heat of the summer may be an issue, some creams (TOBS) don't fair well in the mail when it's hot.

I look forward to your review, WSP soaps are quite good I would hope the creams are as good.

Mail Call:

proxy.php

The scent strength seems fairly mild in the tub, which is somewhat surprising since WSP is usually one of the more strongly scented products in my experience, but that can change once it's lathered. The scent itself is fantastic and reminds me of Maggards London Barbershop, and the consistency feels more like a croap. The top label is waterproof but the side label is not. I'm not sure if that will change when these are officially released, but since this has a thicker consistency than your average cream I had planned on loading from the tub, so that label may be a brush loading casualty lol. Here are the ingredients:

proxy.php

Tubs that are packed up to the top are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, so for those who care there is plenty of room to load a brush without anything slopping over the sides.

proxy.php

It's on deck for tomorrow's shave and I'll post a review then.

Their hair pomade, Gaelic Tweed, is wonderful. It zoomed to my top 3. Btw medium and strong hold
and leaves hair semi wet looking and quite shiny. Love that stuff.
Their Blackbeard shaving soap is to die for too. Great lubricating lather and has a mysterious, dark
and unique/wonderful scent. Not for everyone. Something Charles Bronson would wear.
Rumor has it, that Lee is kin to Bruce Lee, the Little Dragon. Buy from this guy...they have great DE and Straight shaving items.

Last edited:
It's great to see more soapmakers getting into creams. Creams can be a bit more challenging than soaps. It'll probably be a great product as they adjust the formulas based on trial and feedback.

I broke out the Weck Sextoblade and my Wolf Whiskers brush with the Envy White knot for this test shave with the new WSP cream. So without further ado:

Packaging - (2.5/5)

This cream comes in a large tub with plenty of room to swirl the brush around. The top label is waterproof but the side label is not, which is enough to drop it a couple stars. The water on my fingers when I held the container while loading the brush was enough to soak in and remove some paper, and I could see it being mostly gone in a few shaves if care isn't taken. This is a pre-release version so I don't know if it is an issue that will be addressed before it officially goes public, but this is the rating I'm giving it based on how it is now.

Latherability - (4.7/5)
I mentioned that the consistency of this cream is much more like a croap, and for the most part that remained true while loading the brush. I went with a fairly dry brush and a paste quickly formed, but there was a lot of resistance and it didn't seem like a whole lot made it onto the bristles until I dipped the tips in water. That did the trick, and a few more seconds of loading had the kind of full paste that I normally go for. I went into a face lather and found that the water band on this cream seems pretty wide. I probably could have stopped and shaved after dipping the tips of the brush in water 2-3 times, but I wanted to see how far I could go and went back to the mug 5 times total. The result was a shiny, slick lather of medium thickness. It was easy to get it where I wanted and seemed forgiving of extra water.

Stability - (5/5)
I took plenty of time with the shave and there was no lather breakdown at all.

Slickness - (5/5)
Outstanding slickness, which is the thing I usually worry about most when trying a new product. This cream is just as good in this area as WSP's shaving soaps, and the Sextoblade slid across my skin with ease.

Residual slickness - (4/5)

This is one that doesn't impact me much, but I included it for those who like to be able to do a water-only pass. There was not enough residual slickness for a water-only pass, but more than enough for blade buffing in the trouble spots.

Post-shave -( 4.3/5)
I know there are plenty of people that don't care one way or the other about the post shave feel of a cream or soap since the lack thereof can be made up for in aftershave products, but it's always been important to me and has been a deal breaker on occasion. I have very dry skin, and there are some shaving products that dry me out so badly that it just isn't worth having to slather on the crazy amount of moisturizer required to counteract it. I'm happy to say that the post shave of this cream was extremely good, and while it wasn't good enough to skip using an aftershave it is still in the upper tier of shaving creams in this regard.

Summary - (25.5/30)
If you want to discuss the quality of the cream and not include the packaging this number changes to 23/25. The performance was excellent and I'm happy to have it in the den. I don't give a rating for scent or scent strength since everyone has their own preferences, but the strength of scent is mild to average and the scent reminds me of Maggards London Barbershop, which I really like. The price was $24 for 5.5 oz which may be a little on the pricey side for a cream(depending on where you fall between Proraso and Acqua di Parma with regards to price), but considering it's thicker consistency I think it will last quite a bit longer than the same amount of a thinner cream.

Thanks for the review. I agree that the price is a little high. But it is nice to see a reputable artisan broadening the horizons. If he put as much care into the formula as he did the formula T I have a feeling that we will have a winner on our hands.

I just learned the cream was out. Now that you've had a chance to use it a few times, would you adjust the scores at all? The review almost sells me--WSP Barbershop is one of my favorite scents, so I'm a little disappointed to hear the scent is so mild.

I just learned the cream was out. Now that you've had a chance to use it a few times, would you adjust the scores at all? The review almost sells me--WSP Barbershop is one of my favorite scents, so I'm a little disappointed to hear the scent is so mild.

I'd say they are probably the same. But keep in mind that this was a pre-release of the cream, and I think things may have changed since it went live. I would be worth picking some up just to see, or see if there are any other reviews out.

I have never used WSP products but I now have the Amber Vanille and Barbershop soaps in my cart along with some Castle Forbes Lime cream. I'm itching to pull the trigger.

Received a recent addition to WSP’s shave cream line, one of the best scents in my opinion that Lee offers. Yes sir, Olympus is offered in cream form. A very close dupe to the Famed Creed Aventus scent. Good scent strength out of the tub with a nice juicy pineapple aroma that is very well done. Performance is what is to be expected, just excellent. Super easy to lather and provides all the protection and glide a man could want. An excellent addition to WSP’s shaving cream line up.....

B6202186-8CE6-4C16-8170-D209B19E43B9.jpeg

Top Bottom