What's new

wrong angle, maybe?

This post is concerning just my face, not my neck. I've mapped it all out and do my first pass WTG, second pass XTG. I read about other guys getting their shave 'close enough' with only 2 passes, but there is no way I can stop with just 2. Not that I'm trying for BBS, mind you, because I'm really not. But after 2 passes, I still have way too much growth on my face to be acceptable. And since I'm right-handed, the left side of my face has more stubble than the right. I can hear the whiskers being cut, so I know that they are truly being trimmed, but if I rub my face after 2 passes, it feels like I haven't hardly done a thing. Therefore, I'm forced into doing a 3rd pass, ATG diagonally chin-to-ear. This gets it close enough, but I would be happier if I could get away with a 2-pass shave. I've tried different angles and have also switched to a new brand of blades, but no luck.

Any thoughts?

I cannot get a smooth shave in two passes. I always do a third pass, against the grain (light pressure, correct blade angle) and find no problems. If the first two passes don't reduce the stubble enough for an easy against-the-grain pass, I would do a third pass XTG the other direction (and in fact on my upper lip, I always do two XTG passes, one in each direction, so that the against-the-grain pass there will go smoothly).

Two passes won't do it for me either. I have to do a minimum of three, sometimes four or five on the chin area to get it really BBS. What razor and blades do you use?

I've found that the number of passes required to get a good shave can vary from day to day. When I first started shaving, I was attached to doing 3 passes since this is what I heard most from the message boards. Now however, I let me face tell me how many passes I need. Sometimes if my skin is feeling a bit irritated, I might only do 2 passes. Othertimes I do four or five to achieve BBS.

Also, there is no need to shave your entire face each pass if this is not necessary. On the later passes, I sometimes only shave my neck area. No sense in overshaving areas that are already done.

All the best,

Top Bottom