What's new

wowed by the scent

For me it is the humble Palmolive shave stick. I had read that it has a mild soapy scent or almost no scent at all, but I get a strong smell of eucalyptus or spearmint. It reminds me of gum or sweets I enjoyed as a child and I find that really uplifting. Using this soap can actually elevate my mood, and it also leaves my skin feeling wonderful. One of the best soaps I have ever used.
Nice -- the green Palmolive stick is very special for me too. Part of it is the scent, but it's also the pale green color. Together those two dimensions send me right back to an imaginary 1950s shaving session ... I just love the color and scent of that stick. I do not get eucalyptus or spearmint. Hard to put words on that scent. For me.

"Notes:
Bergamot, Loose Black Tea, Jasmine, Strawberry, Vanilla"

How strong is the jasmine note? Other than lavender, I don't typically like flower-forward fragrances. But those other notes are right up my alley.
I definitely don’t think of it as overly floral. Certainly not in the way that other jasmine-scented soaps can be, if anything it’s a complimentary note but I doubt you’d use it and say This is way too floral.

1712597275860.png

Alive — Mammoth
Tobacconist — Mammoth
Old Strathcona — MacDuff's
Yo Sólo — Joserra
London Barbershop — Maggard

Barbería — Joserra
Holland Glen — Talbot

Joris is another that stands out to me -- scent-wise. It was my favourite soap and scent for quite a while when I first found it. These days I find the soap's performance more average (not bad, not outstanding, no tallow, but good ingredients otherwise), but I still find the scent heavenly. Again, I find it hard to put words on that scent. What springs to mind:
"clean laundry at its best; early morning misty air; fresh-floral".
Joris.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, two more:

Musgo Real Classic shaving soap
(again, for the scent alone, soap performance more average).
As with Green Palmolive stick *see my post further above), there is something about the combined pale green color and scent of Musgo Real Classic that goes straight into my brain, here to some imaginary Mediterranean port city on a warm and moist morning ....

Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap 🐑:
scent AND performance.
MWF remains one of my all time favourite soaps, and is one among only three that remain in my regular rotation (the other two being Cella (Brick) and Vitos, not for scent, but for performance). What keeps MWF in my regular rotation is also performance (wow/wow//!!), but it's also one of my absolute favourite shaving soap scents. "clean laundy", no-nonsense. Nothing more, nothing less. MWF was also my very first shaving soap when I started adopting traditional wet-shaving as a hobby in earnest. I am still reminded of that first excitement every time I load a brush with MWF.
And then it also helps MWF's image for me, that the MWF hand soap bars are among the few I do not get an allergic reaction to in the arm pits when showering. MWF is clean stuff, no bad chemicals in it.

Last edited:
Stirling Green. It is a Polo Green clone and smells better than the current RL Polo formulation. And the soap and AS are strong as hell. Strongest I own. Fantastic stuff.

Top Bottom