What's new

Wound Clinic

Recently I switched over from a headblade razor to my DE for well, shaving my head. Unfortunately this this comes with a learning curve. What do you guys use to treat cuts and weepers?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll add that another benefit of the Crystal deodorant is its very smooth and rounded, so no rough sides or edges to irritate the skin.
downloadfile.jpg

images.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When we cut the Rooster's spurs off we'd use flour if they bled.

We had one guy so tame he'd let ya twist 'em till they popped off and hardly bled at all.

But if you run around with flour on your head someone is liable to throw your head in an oven.

So I don't recommend that. I wonder if powdered alum from a grocery store would work?

It all depends on how bad a nick/cut you got. For minor nicks, an alum block works a treat. For something that bleeds a bit more, a styptic pencil will be needed.

Of course, for a gusher, you're better off with stitches or staples. But if you're really tough, you could always use ants. 😁

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. Plenty of great information above. As mentioned, Alum Block and a Styptic Pencil and you are set.

what is the difference between an alum block and a styptic thingy?
They're chemically different. Practically, IME, styptic pencils tend to staunch wounds that bleeding a bit better than alum blocks. Put differently, while an alum block may stop the bleeding from a nick, it may not stop the bleeding from a cut.

A shaving alum block is made of Potassium alum.
The one sold as crystal deodorant can be potassium alum, but is more often ammonium alum. It stings more.
A good styptic pencil is usually made of aluminium sulphate, but cheap ones may use shaving alum. The sulphate is more effective, but more painful.
oh, thanks, it's clearer now, it's a bit confusing with all the sulphates sometimes, the street names of them are not exactly precise
Na2S2O (Sodium Tiosulphate, that's for photography but it's another alum) KAl(SO4)2 ((potassium) alum) and Al2(SO4)3 (aluminium sulphate, also called alum, cake alum and other names)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A shaving alum block is made of Potassium alum.
The one sold as crystal deodorant can be potassium alum, but is more often ammonium alum. It stings more.
A good styptic pencil is usually made of aluminium sulphate, but cheap ones may use shaving alum. The sulphate is more effective, but more painful.
True with older stock of pink/purple plastic, but the new clear plastic unscented is advertised by Crystal as having only one ingredient - potassium alum.

Top Bottom