What's new

Would you shave with a 50+ year old original badger knot?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
i was very lucky to grab an ever-ready badger in nos condition.
maybe 40-60 yrs old.
gave it a few shampoos and it's great.

View attachment 1128180
This, like the original post, show a very nice three-banded hair - although it says Pure Badger, this doesn't mean anything other than all the hairs are from a badger....both look like silvertips to me. Remember, in Germany and France the badgers, even in the highest grades, are called Pure Badger (Reindachs or Pure Blaireau) - meaning the same: it is only badger hair!! I believe these designations were used in the past to make sure that someone got the high end of shaving brushes. i.e. a badger, and not the "lowly" swine's hair or horse hair.
Today, unfortunately, Pure Badger is used to name the lowest hair grades....

BTW, the Lucite brush as well as this one are truly stunning brushes!!

I have a boar brush that is approaching 40 years old. It still whips up a great lather.

Clean your vintage badger brush will and try it out.

This, like the original post, show a very nice three-banded hair - although it says Pure Badger, this doesn't mean anything other than all the hairs are from a badger....both look like silvertips to me. Remember, in Germany and France the badgers, even in the highest grades, are called Pure Badger (Reindachs or Pure Blaireau) - meaning the same: it is only badger hair!! I believe these designations were used in the past to make sure that someone got the high end of shaving brushes. i.e. a badger, and not the "lowly" swine's hair or horse hair.

There it is! Approval from the man himself!

Keratin protein (as in hair) is pretty durable stuff, depending on conditions. Thousands of years, in the dry desert where mummies are found. Properly stored and maintained, the hair in a badger brush could last quite a long time relatively unchanged, again depending. The older types of adhesives and handle materials, sometimes not so much. Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) - Lucite, Plexiglass, Perspex et al - is a very durable material as well though, UV resistant and non-yellowing, and can last decades unchanged also. That brush looks mint, so the only issue, if any, might be the knot adhesive, but that could be replaced as needed. Beautiful brush! Use it....

@_MementoMori_ : Clean it and use it. If you take decent care of a brush it can last a very long time. I bought this Hoffritz brush about 30 years ago. At one time it was one of two brushes I used and it has been used thousands of time

Interesting, Rudy. I bought this brush from the Hoffritz store in the then World Trade Center back in the early 1990s. It says it's from Germany and is "pure badger." This brush has been fantastic over the ages. My only regret is that I didn't get another one - but larger. I have no idea who made the brush.

Hoffritz.JPG

Top Bottom