What's new

Would you shave with a 50+ year old original badger knot?

Over the weekend, I picked up an absolutely mint Stanhome lucite handled shaving brush with the original badger knot. This thing looks like it was purchased and placed in a time capsule. The lucite is clear and perfect, and the knot is big, soft, and fluffy like a brand new knot. It doesn't even smell like soap. I'm really considering just using it as-is, even though it would be striking with a new black badger knot.

I know Stanhome brushes aren't considered collectible or desirable, but my grandmother worked for Stanley Home Products for decades and the brush reminds me of her.

Here we go!

20200720_104544.jpg

That's nice. It looks brand new. Maybe just wash it in Dawn Dishwashing liquid and some hot water and you should be good to go. I normally wouldn't even consider using a "used" brush, but that is very nice indeed. Congrats on the purchase.

That's nice. It looks brand new. Maybe just wash it in Dawn Dishwashing liquid and some hot water and you should be good to go. I normally wouldn't even consider using a "used" brush, but that is very nice indeed. Congrats on the purchase.

I truly don't think it's ever been used. I guess there were guys like us hoarding things and not using them even back in the day, haha.

If the knot is good, yes.

I've got a 120 year old brush I used a couple times. Don't use it any more because it's ivory and old ivory splits/cracks when the knot swells during use. Also owned tons of 50+ yr old Rooney, Kent and Simpson brushes (as well as a few culmak's, Macy's, etc) and used them plenty.

Old badger hair tends to be very, very fine and soft, and old brushes are often quite lofty and not as dense as is the style today, but there are a few exceptions. Quite a few makers had high end offerings that resemble Simpsons low-mid range offerings today. Simpson Chubby's existed, and most vintage Kents are very similar (extremely dense and low lofted) to them. And there are a handful of Vintage "Pure" out there that resemble todays pure but less prickly, and perform very well at moderate densities.

Had a handful of nice vintage boars as well... but vintage boars often suffer from shedding/crumbling issues, as old glues don't hold up to the severity with which boar knots can absorb water and swell up.

Probably my favorite vintage to use is an old Kent Barrel brush in Pure. Nothing modern really replicates it. It's very similar to modern pures from Simpson, but without anywhere near as much of the scratchiness.

I truly don't think it's ever been used. I guess there were guys like us hoarding things and not using them even back in the day, haha.

When my stepdad died in 2001 at 85 years old, I found an unused 1941 Aristocrat buried in the back of a dresser drawer. He and my mom had been married over 40 years and she never knew he had it. I always remember him using a SuperSpeed, but I'm guessing his parents gave the Aristocrat when he went into the service for WW2 and he held onto it as a keepsake.

Nice brush, but I'm guessing it's pure badger which I couldn't go back to using. I'd probably be reaching out to Rudy to see if he had a 2-band Shavemac fan to fit that handle. That would be a sweet brush.

When my stepdad died in 2001 at 85 years old, I found an unused 1941 Aristocrat buried in the back of a dresser drawer. He and my mom had been married over 40 years and she never knew he had it. I always remember him using a SuperSpeed, but I'm guessing his parents gave the Aristocrat when he went into the service for WW2 and he held onto it as a keepsake.

Nice brush, but I'm guessing it's pure badger which I couldn't go back to using. I'd probably be reaching out to Rudy to see if he had a 2-band Shavemac fan to fit that handle. That would be a sweet brush.

Pretty sure it is pure badger. I'll use it as-is for a while and if I don't get along with it I'll start looking at replacement knots. I do enjoy re-knotting cool old handles.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've only got my old Rooney to go by, but if that brush is representative of pure badger 40-50 years ago I'd gladly fill my stable with them. I know in many cases brushmakers labeled all badger brushes as "Pure Badger," but my Rooney is clearly "pure" in the same sense as we understand it today. I'd say the brush might be as soft (but not quite as dense) as most of today's Simpsons best options, or at least certainly better than Vulfix best. Important to remember that this was an inexpensive brush that could be bought at the chemist in every High St in England- the handle is hollow plastic, not bakelite.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm afraid you shouldn't use that knot. It could be very dangerous. I'd hate for you to suffer some sort of horrible consequence due to using an item not suitable for you.

Send it to me for an extensive evaluation to make sure it's safe. I'm an expert on that sort of thing and offer this as a free service to selected B&B members.

Go without hot water and use warm water. Hot water will damage the hair and curl it. As to using it, that is up to you, but I would use it with no qualms.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would give it a spa and then see how it goes. As mentioned, you might be surprised.

Looks amazing. My only concerned would be the glue breaking down over that time. There’s only one way to find out. Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom