What's new

Would you pay $457 for a Gillette Super-Speed?

I routinely find rip-offs like that on ebay. It's getting harder to find good deals there.

As a buyer you have to be very careful buying on auction sites these days. Shill bidding is rampant on auction sites and if my personal experience is any indication, they do little about it. To find good deals, you have to do your homework, always use a snip, never overbid and lastly, be willing to walk away if the bidding gets out of line.

I am with all of you on this, but it just struck me that if I win a $200 million lotto, I would change my stance. Imagine how your Acquisition Disorder(s) change with boo-koo bucks.

-jim

I was watching this item also and was shocked at the final winning bid. Crazy... Does anyone know what the original retail price for this was?

Let's see. No description, and two useless pictures.

Not to mention that there is no way that the blades or the razor are "mint" or "unused".
Aren't the blades normally sealed?

Maybe this did it: "
All items come from a some free home."

Crazy... Does anyone know what the original retail price for this was?

$1 in 1949.

$superspeed2.jpg

IMO, Not in 2013.
Only 3 pictures ? Vague description ? Wow, some one wanted that razor !!
The box's picture indicates it should be a 1947 Super Speed (scarce in mint condition) . Many 1947 Super Speeds , but not all mind you, will have a different handle shoulder than all other 1940's style Super Speed razors and I don't see that shoulder on this razor - so it might be a less desirable 1948 issue ? There is not a picture to show if it has a non-notched center bar...so who knows ? It has a correct cream dispenser for a 1947 super speed set. If it is a 1947 issue, it will certainly increase in value over the years to come. But, I am not sure that I will live long enough to see a complete 1947 mint set reach that price on a regular basis....but who knows? Right now, in 2013, I have seen similar offerings sell for what the Ebay/PayPal fee cost of this razor was...albeit, less a cream dispenser in most cases. The seller & eBay/PayPal are definitely happy, if the buyer is happy....that is all that really matters.
The link that you provided seems to suggest that the razor might be shipping Internationally and possibly to Luxembourg at 23.95 shipping cost and who knows what the import duties/taxes will be? So, the $457 can quickly escalate in price, especially when shipped to a country like the UK, wowser !! These sets were only issued for the US and will obviously be worth more to an International market audience.Still.....

Last edited:
I recently lost on ebay to what I suspect was a phantom bidder sent in to drive up the price. Some sucker paid waaaay too much for a razor although not as high as the one in this thread.

I think the bidder must have been desperate for the box, since that is what looks best. As for making crazy bids I once threw out a nutty bid on a British Gillette 58 only after I hit the button did I realize it was in Euros. I almost turned an ash color and thank God someone other crazy fool beat me. OY!

Top Bottom