What's new

Would Red Bull be a 'gentlemanly indulgence'?

Legion

Staff member
If you are mixing your booze with sugary caffeine to keep going, your night is boring, and just go home.

If you are drinking one in the morning to wake up, good luck with the diabetes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It isn't just caffeine; it's the brain chemicals in there too, taurine, etc. ... I really try to avoid them/it.

They are poison. Prohibited for some pilots.

Way better off with espresso.

AA

Helpful stuff on occasion (long drives and the like), taste has grown on me, but way overpriced. There are plenty of similar and less-expensive options.

As for combining with alcohol to go on a long bender... that's just asking for trouble.

Once in a great while when I've decided I need to be punished I'll go to the Elephant Trunk flea market on the CT/NY border to set up. That is a ~3.5H drive for me which means wheels up at 1:30AM to get in line. I am lucky if I get to bed by 11PM.

On the way home by 3PM I'll make my first stop about 30 minutes in to gas up and grab 2 Red Bull small cans. I'll drink the first one 20-30 minutes later. That will get me to Hartford CT before it wears off. The second one gets me home. This is what Red Bull is suitable for.

Helpful stuff on occasion (long drives and the like), taste has grown on me, but way overpriced. There are plenty of similar and less-expensive options.

As for combining with alcohol to go on a long bender... that's just asking for trouble.

+1 for driving. A small can delivers 80-90 minutes before it tapers off.

I used to do tradeshows and managed a number of young bucks. Their goto after hours was Red Bull & vodka. Most were disciplined enough to drag their asses to the booth the next day but were walking wounded. Hysterically bad hangovers sometimes requiring me to send them back to their room to sleep.

I love Red Bull. Just popping the top on a can instantly perks me up. I love the flavor; I love the smell. Funnily enough, it doesn't even have that much caffeine. An 8oz can of Red Bull contains 77mg of caffeine, whereas a regular, 8oz cup of coffee contains 95mg, almost 25% more.

Given the price and the comparative caffeine content, I'd have to put it in the indulgence column. It definitely is one for me.

@dudesweet157 loves that ‘’ Red Bill”.

I like these occassionally, but two servings makes four or more for me. An eight ounce serving is 51 mg caffeine. A can will last me a few days. (I don’t do coffee as it makes my throat spasm.) Yerba Mate is another go to for a gentle lift, and its many health benefits

404FCA27-ECBC-491D-A320-3AE7EE78DEA9.jpeg

I've had one red bull and will never have another. It was used exclusively to keep me conscious throughout a day after no sleep the night prior. It tasted nasty and the buzz wasn't even pleasant, but it did keep me upright.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Crap. Never tried one, never will. A few years back my son-in-law suffered a seizure at my house. We had to call an ambulance and he spent overnight in the hospital. No medical issue was found. Doctors suspected it was too much RB (or other energy drink), combined with lack of sleep and not eating right. The first police officer on the scene told me it wasn't the first suspected "energy drink" seizure he had responded to.
Yep. I've never tried it, never will. I drink one strong cup of black coffee in the AM, maybe a cola if me and the War Department go out. As a heart patient, that's even too much, but I figure I've lived long enough to indulge occasionally.

Caffeine is a drug. That and aspirin should be by prescription for young people.

Yuk. Had group handing out free Red Bull at the office one day. Like fizzy Hawaiian Punch with a sour bite, almost syrupy texture.

+1 for good ol’ black coffee.

Top Bottom