What's new

would going back to cartridges help?

You've gotten a lot of great advice, and probably the best is going back to what you were using without irritation, and slowly changing one thing at a time. It probably seems obvious now, but changing everything all at once can make finding the problem impossible. Give Proraso's sensitive-skin soap a try while still using Harry's carts, and Maggard's synthetic brushes. They are inexpensive and extremely high-quality, just like all of Maggard's stuff. Rosacea runs in my family so animal-hair brushes can be a bit of a game of roulette, but I can really scrub the daylights out of my face with those synth brushes.

Depending on how sensitive your rosacea is, you could also be sensitive to some of the ingredients in your gear. Here is an amazing aftershave and face balm recipe: equal parts ALCOHOL-FREE witch hazel, 99% pure aloe, and a few drops of vegetable glycerin to your liking. Shake it like a polaroid picture, then put it on everything except the dog. If you are feeling adventurous or there is an essential oil you like, you can add a couple drops of that for some fragrance.

Give Proraso's sensitive-skin soap a try while still using Harry's carts, and Maggard's synthetic brushes. They are inexpensive and extremely high-quality, just like all of Maggard's stuff. Rosacea runs in my family so animal-hair brushes can be a bit of a game of roulette, but I can really scrub the daylights out of my face with those synth brushes.
Funny you say that. I have proraso sensitive skin soap sample sitting in my cart at maggards right now! also i purchased a maggard synthetic brush about a month ago and i love it. should have never wasted my money on amazon.
Here is an amazing aftershave and face balm recipe: equal parts ALCOHOL-FREE witch hazel, 99% pure aloe, and a few drops of vegetable glycerin to your liking. Shake it like a polaroid picture, then put it on everything except the dog. If you are feeling adventurous or there is an essential oil you like, you can add a couple drops of that for some fragrance.
THIS is a brilliant idea. I have never a DIY, mix and match kind of guy. But you could be on to something here. a few questions though. when you say alcohol free witch hazel, do you mean thayers acohol witch hazel? or do you think that has more ingredients in it than i need? and regarding the aloe vera can i pick up something like at target? they have a 97.7% pure aloe vera gel. or does it need to be 99%? where can i find glycerin? sorry so many questions. i am very curious about this now.

Wow. You have my sympathy and understanding. 1 because I'm guilty of the same thing. when i get into a hobby i really get into it. and i spend all this money. i think we all get hooked on collecting stuff and forget the practicality of it all. Luckily i dont really having the problem of nicking my face. i picked up a styptic pen when i first started cuz i see all these guys cutting up their face and ive used it maybe twice. i get razor burn. i get irritation. but no weepers.

glad to know some one else came from harrys too!
I couldn’t take the lousy shave I got yesterday from the rechargeable razor last night. I used my ATT M1 with a Big Ben blade. I really like those blades!
I got a super smooth shave with no nicks or weepers. Mild irritation on my neck. Who knows perhaps I am allergic to something. I did everything as suggested. Showered first, which I never do. Soak the brush, Pre shave oil, soap. Etc. I’m going to switch soaps and see if that helps. Then if still irritated I will change the balm. I’m also using Witchhazel. I was very gentle today and still got irritated.
Nice shave though.

I'll focus on one thing to start with. There is a loyal brotherhood of those who believe face lathering is the"best" way to experience the manly art of shaving. To the newly exposed this can seem like sound guidance. However, first, you are applying a generally caustic cream or thicker soap product to a small area of skin on your face. Alkaline burns can start right here. Then, using a bristle animal or nylon brush to spread this concentrated product can be a source of mechanical wear to the top layers of the skin. So, now there are two active damaging processes in play. Next, the addition of water is added, which is accepted as good, but we're still speaking of a concentration of alkaline soap which is higher than needed to soften the beard and exfoliate dirt off the face. The brush is still, in all likely hood, mechanically wearing on the skin...and spreading the soap. A new to brushes shaver may not know skritch is actually irritating. That a dry boar bristle is sand paper. Or that a nylon brush, can seem spiffy, and soft on the hand, but still rub you the wrong way.

My take? Start with bowl lathering first and learn the ins and outs of lather here first before diving in full face on a frozen lake, or pit of sand.

Last edited:
I'll focus on one thing to start with. There is a loyal brotherhood of those who believe face lathering is the"best" way to experience the manly art of shaving. To the newly exposed this can seem like sound guidance. However, first, you are applying a generally caustic cream or thicker soap product to a small area of skin on your face. Alkaline burns can start right here. Then, using a bristle animal or nylon brush to spread this concentrated product can be a source of mechanical wear to the top layers of the skin. So, now there are two active damaging processes in play. Next, the addition of water is added, which is accepted as good, but we're still speaking of a concentration of alkaline soap which is higher than needed to soften the beard and exfoliate dirt off the face. The brush is still, in all likely hood, mechanically wearing on the skin...and spreading the soap. A new to brushes shaver may not know skritch is actually irritating. That a dry boar bristle is sand paper. Or that a nylon brush, can seem spiffy, and soft on the hand, but still rub you the wrong way.

My take? Start with bowl lathering first and learn the ins and outs of lather here first before diving in full face on a frozen lake, or pit of sand.
Thanks I’m definitely going to try that. I have some more expensive soaps but I have been using the Vanderhagen Luxury Sented puck. It seems to get great reviews from a lot of people. I started using it and it lasts forever. I was going to switch when it was gone but that’s going to be a long time.
Definitely will try bowl lathering. I have been taking it from the puck with the brush and right on to the face.
Any thoughts on that Vanderhagen soap? It’s cheap but seems to work well. I also hear a lot of great stuff about ARKO stick soap. Even though very cheap people seem to like everything about it except the smell.

Moles can get cancerous. Your derm was right.
As far as shaving is concerned, go back to the product you used when you shaved with Harrys.
After a week, if your skin is settled down, try using the DE again, using the same trouble free product.
This

That’s rather extreme...You forgot the part where you are using a sharpened metal sheet to scrape hairs off the side of your face, further mechanically wearing your skin, and now opening you to the possibility of foreign blood contaminants, thereby death. :117:

Seriously though, I hope you find something that does work for you @Dominick Perone!

That’s rather extreme...You forgot the part where you are using a sharpened metal sheet to scrape hairs off the side of your face, further mechanically wearing your skin, and now opening you to the possibility of foreign blood contaminants, thereby death. :117:

Seriously though, I hope you find something that does work for you @Dominick Perone!
Hahahaha. Yeah that did sound a little extreme but I am definitely going to try a bowl lather. I’m also wondering if the animal brushes have been causing a little trouble. I have a few synthetic brushes I haven’t used yet.
Today was actually a very good shave!
The redness on my neck is slowly but definitely going away.

Hahahaha. Yeah that did sound a little extreme but I am definitely going to try a bowl lather. I’m also wondering if the animal brushes have been causing a little trouble. I have a few synthetic brushes I haven’t used yet.
Today was actually a very good shave!
The redness on my neck is slowly but definitely going away.

That’s great!

Top Bottom