What's new

Worst Wet Shaving Product You’ve Ever Bought?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Unfortunately not one of a kind, others have reported the same results, although rare. Happy it works for you.
Bummer. Bang for your buck Arko is solid. Sorry to hear of anyone suffering from its use. As always, YMMV.

I think someone already mentioned Lightfoot's pine soap. That one was terrible, wasn't even worth using as shower soap.

Perfecto 100% pure badger brush.

I got this 8 years ago when I had just started DE shaving. It was the first badger I ever bought and it shed like crazy. It even turned my lather brown! Absolutely terrible!

It nearly turned me off from wet shaving completely.

I actually still have it and used it to clear stray hairs from my hair clippers. So it wasn’t a total loss!

Caswell and Massey soap and brush, maybe 15 years ago. Couldn't get a lather and thought I was doing something wrong. Tried again with Stirling 12 years later (at a third of the price), great lather. Avoid C&M!

The folks that get all giddy about stuff used by astronauts seem to be the techmatic enthusiasts today.
I couldn't care less about what astronauts used or didn't use. I just like quirky stuff. And when I kept reading about how terrible the Techmatic was, I figured I'd try it. Come to find out its not bad at all. As I said, its all about the angle and pressure. When done right, it gives a great shave. If you dont pay attention, and treat it like a TracII, it will bite you. That being said, I only have the adjustable band carts for it. The fixed carts are a different story.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I couldn't care less about what astronauts used or didn't use. I just like quirky stuff. And when I kept reading about how terrible the Techmatic was, I figured I'd try it. Come to find out its not bad at all. As I said, its all about the angle and pressure. When done right, it gives a great shave. If you dont pay attention, and treat it like a TracII, it will bite you. That being said, I only have the adjustable band carts for it. The fixed carts are a different story.
I haven't tried one, just an observation from posts I've seen. TracII was a great razor. If I shaved like grandpa, that would be my go to. I can remember him having one.

I haven't tried one, just an observation from posts I've seen. TracII was a great razor. If I shaved like grandpa, that would be my go to. I can remember him having one.
I still have a TracII as well. Yep, not a bad razor at all and nearly fool proof. But it has its quirks too. Really light and so you have to watch the pressure just a little. Still, its almost impossible to cut yourself, though you can sure get a raging case of razor burn, if you ham hand it. :)

Caswell and Massey soap and brush, maybe 15 years ago. Couldn't get a lather and thought I was doing something wrong. Tried again with Stirling 12 years later (at a third of the price), great lather. Avoid C&M!
Well..............

I am happy to report to you that shaving soaps sold by Caswell-Massey right now are actually made by our friends at The Holy Black. Seems that the Caswell-Massey bigwigs probably heard a lot about how much their shave soaps didn't work, and they got tired of hearing it. So they reached out to The Holy Black and set up a deal in which the boys at The Holy Black formulate/make the soap using the scents from Caswell-Massey. Win-win, I'm guessing, although I haven't actually tried them because they are pricey. But Caswell-Massey makes good scents, and The Holy Black soaps are a LOT better than the old Caswell-Massey soaps were.

So, for people with some cash to burn, I don't think it is necessary to avoid Caswell-Massey anymore.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I bought this Dovo Shavette...and for the life of me...I have no idea what kind of blades it takes. Have tried several different kinds with no success. I finally gave up on it. It is resting comfortably in the bottom of my dresser drawer with it's extra special plastic blade holder clips. If anyone has seen the blade that fits the description of, "Works in this Dovo Shavette" let me know. But until then, I've classified it as a failed purchase. Remember...Dovo spelled backwards is Ovod. That pretty much sums it up for me.

Dovo Shavette.jpg

Last edited:
TOBS Lime shave cream. I got really bad irritation! One shave was all I managed. Must have been a perfume thing. The only other variety I have tried is Mr Taylor’s which I absolutely loved.

I bought this Dovo Shavette...and for the life of me...I have no idea what kind of blades it takes. Have tried several different kinds with no success. I finally gave up on it. It is resting comfortably in the bottom of my dresser drawer with it's extra special plastic blade holder clips. If anyone has seen the blade that fits the description of, "Works in this Dovo Shavette" let me know. But until then, I've classified it as a failed purchase. Remember...Dovo spelled backwards is Ovod. That pretty much sums it up for me.

View attachment 1162312

Clear insert? Takes 1/2 of a DE blade.

I'm new to wet shaving but I've already had one bad experience. And when I say "bad experience", understand I mean in a cowering in the corner of the bathroom in the fetal position sort of bad; a douse your face in acetone, light it on fire and shave with a broken beer bottle while praying for the sweet, sweet release of Death sort of bad.

All compliments of... of... (deep breath) ... Shave Secret.

Last edited:

reformulated two years ago......holy black also makes it for them.

20200918_052752.jpg

i like it........ a little.

camo

View attachment 1162312
This is, by all accounts, a pretty good shavette. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would happily take it off your hands.

Probably anything clove scented, bought some Stirling bay rum a while ago good soap but just couldn't stand the clove in it, so that's a $20 loss for me

Well..............

I am happy to report to you that shaving soaps sold by Caswell-Massey right now are actually made by our friends at The Holy Black. Seems that the Caswell-Massey bigwigs probably heard a lot about how much their shave soaps didn't work, and they got tired of hearing it. So they reached out to The Holy Black and set up a deal in which the boys at The Holy Black formulate/make the soap using the scents from Caswell-Massey. Win-win, I'm guessing, although I haven't actually tried them because they are pricey. But Caswell-Massey makes good scents, and The Holy Black soaps are a LOT better than the old Caswell-Massey soaps were.

So, for people with some cash to burn, I don't think it is necessary to avoid Caswell-Massey anymore.
Good to know!

Tabac set by a country mile. The set contained the shaving cream, AS splash and AS bam.

I can't recall what the quality of the shave was, as odor was repugnant.

I came out of the bathroom and my wife asked me throw the whole thing away. And it the bin it was, the whole set.

And so it was the only shaving product ever that I did not 3017.

Shave Yeti Soap. The lather was extremely airy and light. The lather started dissipating before I even put the brush down to pick up my razor. I threw the soap in the trash and was so ticked off that I didn't shave that day.

Top Bottom