What's new

Worst Blade

For me it's Astra SP - aka The Devil's Blade. That thin sliver of hatred cut me to ribbons and seemingly caused some kind of reaction on my uncut skin that took nearly a week to go away. I think I'd have got a better shave using the lid from an old open can of beans that had somehow dodged the dustbin.

My technique has improved a lot since then but I still can't bring myself to try Astra SP again. I haven't even summoned the courage to try a pack of Astra SS that I have lying around.

+1 on the Graham Fields, along with Flying Eagle and Lan Fei blades.

However...if there was an open invitation for a group to try a known bad blade, and we were doing this together, and posting our experiences, I'd mostly likely join in. Have to say that it would actually be fun!!

PS. Early in my DE adventure, I didn't like Derby Extras, but find that they're ok now, not awesome, but not as horrible as I remember.

Graham Field and Lan Fei! Agree.
OP - if you think Derby Extra are dull, you really need to try one of these. I still have a few Graham Field blades left if you want to give one a try!

Here is one that will wrankle many of you. Bic Chrome. Tried one today in my Bevel razor. Two strokes and said no thanks. The Bevel is a mild shaver, but this felt like way too much blade feel and yet the two strokes were not close. I'm hoping a got a bum blade and will try one tomorrow to see if I confirm the same result.

BIC Chrome Platinum blades are plenty sharp and they get even sharper after the first shave.

I have never shaved with a Bevel razor, so I am not certain of its specific design characteristics. One issue with razors that have a small blade gap is that they often have a very narrow range of acceptable shave angles. If the blade exposure is negative, there is a tendency to shave with pressure. With a blade as sharp as a BIC, you cannot afford to shave with the wrong angle or with pressure.

Flying Eagle from China, or as I renamed it, Flying Eagle $h!@. So bad it make Derby feel like a GSB.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I'm reading some of these responses and many people here don't really have a clue what a really bad blade is like. I feel bad that I complained about blades like Derby before trying these. Never again, a Derby blade is heavenly compared to the Chinese Flying Eagle blade. This one made a Derby blade feel as sharp as a Feather blade in comparison. To experience the same effect you could probably take a blade that you really enjoy outside and scrape it on the cement driveway several dozen times and then shave with it.

I found the Flying Eagle blades to be just sharp enough to dig into the hair but not sharp enough to actually cut through it. This way they dug in just enough, to not actually cut through the hair but, to get a very firm hold on it. This is what allows you to pull the stubble out root and all like you're pulling carrots from the garden. Absolutely miserable.

I don't know what kind of a sadistic SOB thought is was a good idea to sell these things. Probably the same person that invented vegan Macaroni and Cheese. I'd rather grow a mullet or get waterboarded than use one of these blades again. The only blade that I couldn't actually finish a shave with. I tried more than one of these thinking I must have gotten a bad one. Nope, that wasn't the case. I don't think I made it through a complete pass with any of them. Unfortunately each one I tried was just as bad as the one before it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
One issue with razors that have a small blade gap is that they often have a very narrow range of acceptable shave angles.
I've used Bevel, Merkur and GSB in it with no issue and have the angle down. The Bic was crap. Now that may be a one off and next shave I'm trying a new one as I know my findings run counter to most others. But that doesn't mean they aren't correct - for me. If blade 2 is as bad, I'll toss it in my Feather Popular and see what I think there. There are certain combinations of razors and blades that don't mix, maybe I found one.

@dfoulk whatever moved you to try those Flying Eagle blades?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Very funny. :biggrin1:

If he's serious, I'm right there as well. Polsilver Super Iridium blades rip up my face in horrible ways, like Voskhod also does to me. My wife loves them, but she can't stand Feather. I love Feather, but the Polsilver Super Iridium blades are one that I just can't use. I honestly can't explain why.

Completely serious. Tried them several times, and from different batches. Snatching at the hair with every stroke, and generally a horrible blade to use. I suspect they're fractionally narrower than other blades, and my preference for mild razors doesn't work well with them. The only razor they were tolerable in, was the otherwise face chomping Fatip Grande - I think they cancelled each other's discomfort out. However, it still wasn't any better than any of my preferred blades in my Jagger DE3D14.

@dfoulk whatever moved you to try those Flying Eagle blades?

At one time or another I've tried just about everything out there. I started by trying every soap I could get my hands on in a search to find the very best ones. I've worked through razors, blades, quite a few aftershaves, and finally higher end brushes in the same manner. So at this point I'm full of worthless knowledge that cost me a small fortune to attain. But as a result, I do know which items I really like and which ones I don't care for.

During the phase where I was trying every blade I could find, someone here sent me a couple packs of the Flying Eagle blades with a soap sample trade, or maybe it was a BST purchase. I don't really remember exactly who I got them from or what other items were involved. I have to admit that I was warned that they were really bad so it's not like he set me up. It was more of a "I found these blades to be really, really bad, let me know what you think" So of course I had to try them.

I should have known better. He probably should have just pitched them instead of sharing them with me. But that's what we do I guess. It's like when a guy says "hey smell this" it's never a good thing.

What’s the worst blade anybody here has ever used and will probably never use again? I’m just curious!
BTW: Mine was Derby. Too dull for my beard.

What year? They changed in 2016.

I'm reading some of these responses and many people here don't really have a clue what a really bad blade is like. I feel bad that I complained about blades like Derby before trying these. Never again, a Derby blade is heavenly compared to the Chinese Flying Eagle blade. This one made a Derby blade feel as sharp as a Feather blade in comparison. To experience the same effect you could probably take a blade that you really enjoy outside and scrape it on the cement driveway several dozen times and then shave with it.

yeah_that.gif

I don't know what kind of a sadistic SOB thought is was a good idea to sell these things. Probably the same person that invented vegan Macaroni and Cheese. I'd rather grow a mullet or get waterboarded than use one of these blades again. The only blade that I couldn't actually finish a shave with. I tried more than one of these thinking I must have gotten a bad one. Nope, that wasn't the case. I don't think I made it through a complete pass with any of them. Unfortunately each one I tried was just as bad as the one before it.

Don't hold back. Tell us what you really feel.

Completely serious. Tried them several times, and from different batches. Snatching at the hair with every stroke, and generally a horrible blade to use. I suspect they're fractionally narrower than other blades, and my preference for mild razors doesn't work well with them. The only razor they were tolerable in, was the otherwise face chomping Fatip Grande - I think they cancelled each other's discomfort out. However, it still wasn't any better than any of my preferred blades in my Jagger DE3D14.
I completely understand! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who can't tolerate them! Everyone has his or her own preferences, but I'm not one for, what I call, Polsilver Super Iritation. :tongue_sm

Merkur, Wilkinson Sword (Germany) are worst/dullest so far. I haven’t used my spare Derbys for years either.

What’s the worst blade anybody here has ever used and will probably never use again? I’m just curious!
BTW: Mine was Derby. Too dull for my beard.
FYI, my Derby’s were pre 2016 made..... I could get get a couple of shaves from each one but had to work at it. They tugged, even early on during the shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Snatching at the hair with every stroke

That’s basically what I think of the Bic. Shaved with a new one today. Just as bad. Shave about 1/2 my face and called it quits. I cannot imagine trying to go atg with these. I will try it in my feather popular and maybe the de89.

FYI, my Derby’s were pre 2016 made..... I could get get a couple of shaves from each one but had to work at it. They tugged, even early on during the shave.
My Derby blades were post-2016, and I thought they were awful. I can't even begin to imagine how much worse the older ones were. [emoji33]

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

For me it's Astra SP - aka The Devil's Blade. That thin sliver of hatred cut me to ribbons and seemingly caused some kind of reaction on my uncut skin that took nearly a week to go away. I think I'd have got a better shave using the lid from an old open can of beans that had somehow dodged the dustbin.

My technique has improved a lot since then but I still can't bring myself to try Astra SP again. I haven't even summoned the courage to try a pack of Astra SS that I have lying around.
My experience exactly with these

Top Bottom