What's new

Worst Blade

Hard to remember all of them as I have tried so many. But yeah, Derby Extra is really there. Blue Birds as well. A few Chinese garbage blades also, most of them I don't really remember the brands. I also have fake Chinese Super-Max blades that are close to terrible.

Sometimes when the price on blades is "too good to be true", you find out you made a bad bargain. I do have some real Super-Max Blue Diamond blades that were inexpensive, but give a great shave.

Tiger 3H. Absolutely horrible. Both blades i tried cracked in half after two shaves. The blade itself also rusted and it was something akin to torture shaving with them. I dare anyone to try one hahaha. I actually sent an email to tryablade.com telling him to stop selling them.

the only really tuggy, irritating blade I have used is the Voskhod, if I spelled it correctly. first one so bad I opened another pack and it was just as bad. I know many like them a lot but nothing I have tried is even close to as bad. I do like, or at least can get a decent shave from - Derby, Derby Prime, Shark, Merkur. Goes to show YMMV

Merkur was my worst. I have fallen waaay out of love with Voskhod.

Merkur, Israeli Personna, Astra SP, Gillette 7 o' Clock Platinum, and VDH all tore me up and made my face very uncomfortable.

If you do not like these blades, which blades do you like? The blades you list range from pretty dull dull (Merkur, VDH) to very sharp (Israeli Personna, 7 O'Clock Black). The Astra SP is at the lower end of the mid-sharp category. Thus, I am wondering if this is a blade issue or an issue with your razor, your lather, or your shaving technique?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There's only one that has a survivors club.

1569713887447.png

If you can find one you simply won't believe it. Give it a spin.

Happy shaves (won't be happy with a G-F),

Jim

If you do not like these blades, which blades do you like? The blades you list range from pretty dull dull (Merkur, VDH) to very sharp (Israeli Personna, 7 O'Clock Black). The Astra SP is at the lower end of the mid-sharp category. Thus, I am wondering if this is a blade issue or an issue with your razor, your lather, or your shaving technique?
My shaving technique is fine. I've been at it since 2012, which was arguably my worst year. 2013 was alright. My top three blades are Personna Lab, Personna Med Prep, and SuperMax Titanium. These three blades never let me down even in the worst conditions. Next in line for me are Blue Bird (Turkey,) Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O' Clock Green, SuperMax Super Stainless. These blades mostly work for me.

My shaving technique is fine. I've been at it since 2012, which was arguably my worst year. 2013 was alright. My top three blades are Personna Lab, Personna Med Prep, and SuperMax Titanium. These three blades never let me down even in the worst conditions. Next in line for me are Blue Bird (Turkey,) Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O' Clock Green, SuperMax Super Stainless. These blades mostly work for me.

Thanks for the additional information. That makes sense now. It looks like you are a fan of mid-sharp blades. You have issues with ones that are not so sharp and issues with ones that are super sharp. The ones in the middle work for you. A lot depends on the razor in which they are used. I suspect you might also like the Astra Superior Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux and Polsilver.

When using a mild razor, I like super sharp blades. When using a more aggressive razor, I like blades in the same range as you. I have never tried Blue Bird and have heard little about them. I have not used the SuperMax Super Stainless, but love the SuperMax Blue Diamond blades.

Thanks for the additional information. That makes sense now. It looks like you are a fan of mid-sharp blades. You have issues with ones that are not so sharp and issues with ones that are super sharp. The ones in the middle work for you. A lot depends on the razor in which they are used. I suspect you might also like the Astra Superior Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux and Polsilver.

When using a mild razor, I like super sharp blades. When using a more aggressive razor, I like blades in the same range as you. I have never tried Blue Bird and have heard little about them. I have not used the SuperMax Super Stainless, but love the SuperMax Blue Diamond blades.
Polsilver is a crap shoot for me. I have more than 150 of those blades and I don't really like them all that much. However, I haven't tried all the blades I hate in my Gillette Rocket or Schick Krona. I also have this cheap Gillette Tech clone from India that I haven't tried them in either. I suspect those blades would be good in my Feather Popular too. Feather works magically in my Krona. It's also been years since I've tried all those blades when my technique was god awful and my lather wasn't great either.

There's only one that has a survivors club.

View attachment 1020978
If you can find one you simply won't believe it. Give it a spin.

Happy shaves (won't be happy with a G-F),

Jim

Actually, I've tried them. They weren't good, but they weren't terrible either. Compared to Flying Eagle, they're a delight.

The reason there isn't a Flying Eagle survivors club is that there have been so few survivors!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Actually, I've tried them. They weren't good, but they weren't terrible either. Compared to Flying Eagle, they're a delight.

The reason there isn't a Flying Eagle survivors club is that there have been so few survivors!

You musta got a good G-F. Didn't know any existed. I couldn't get the G-F to shave my cheeks which are pretty easy to shave with anything.

I'd love to try a Flying Eagle!

Happy shaves,

Jim

You musta got a good G-F. Didn't know any existed. I couldn't get the G-F to shave my cheeks which are pretty easy to shave with anything.

I'd love to try a Flying Eagle!

Happy shaves,
Jim

I'd send you one, but I only ever had the one. It was part of a 20 blade PIF that @Toothpick (Thanks again, Jason) sent out to about five of us back in the spring of 2017. Going through those blades in multiple razors improved my technique more and faster than the 30 day boot camp I started with in 2016.

Review from 20 Blade PIF - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/review-from-20-blade-pif.517845/#post-8978727

Tryablade used to carry them, but I don't see them listed any more. BTW, this was a black carbon steel blade. It looked beautiful, but beauty was only in the eye of the beholder, not in his shave. It remains the ONLY blade out of more than 60 that I found myself unable to get a DFS from. G-F, Assured, Merkur, VDH were no problem.

As near as I can tell, Grundi and I were the only Flying Eagle survivors. Anyone else I've heard from told me I was being charitable in my review.

Worst blade? A tie between Voshkod and Wilkinson Sword (Germany).
Closely followed by Personna Lab Blue. Given this blade is highly regarded by many, I didn't want to accept this, and periodically returned to this blade for another round. After the fifth bout of terrible shaves, I admitted defeat - this blade and I just don't get on.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd send you one, but I only ever had the one. It was part of a 20 blade PIF that @Toothpick (Thanks again, Jason) sent out to about five of us back in the spring of 2017. Going through those blades in multiple razors improved my technique more and faster than the 30 day boot camp I started with in 2016.

Review from 20 Blade PIF - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/review-from-20-blade-pif.517845/#post-8978727

Tryablade used to carry them, but I don't see them listed any more. BTW, this was a black carbon steel blade. It looked beautiful, but beauty was only in the eye of the beholder, not in his shave. It remains the ONLY blade out of more than 60 that I found myself unable to get a DFS from. G-F, Assured, Merkur, VDH were no problem.

As near as I can tell, Grundi and I were the only Flying Eagle survivors. Anyone else I've heard from told me I was being charitable in my review.

Maybe I'll run across one. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Trying those 20 blades was a blast!! (definitely agree, THANK YOU, @Toothpick!!)

The day @lancre and I were released from the ER...EAGLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!

FlyingEagle.gif

There is a Swedish brand called "Rijk" and they are the worst blades I have ever tried.
They are thin, flimsy, and it can not cut through a grown mans stubble.
And they are cheap as hell.

Unexpected. One expects more of Europeans.

But let's face it. We ALL know when we're "slumming it" when it comes to blade purchases.

We know. But the allure of being pleasantly surprised is irresistible.

Top Bottom