What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

I do NOT need to know this!! A Nodachi is one of the few things that tempts me even though I’m quite happy with my Masamune. I didn’t love a Wizamet/Polsilver in my Masamune, but I think it’s the first blade that I’ve found that beats the Astra SP in my Henson mild. Feather still rules in the Masamune.
Sorry...I didn't mean to tempt anyone 😂 I'm going to have to try another side-by-side to double-check. Then maybe I'll try each razor alone for a couple of days and see the differences. 🤔

I have to try a Polsilver in the Henson! Thanks for the suggestion!

Don't know about you, but I find the Polsilver smoother than Wizamet!

is the thread on the tatara standard so other handles will fit ?
The post is longer than normal and a standard handle won't allow it to tighten fully. Side note; you can configure your preferred Head/plate/handle on Tatara's website. I just happened to be on there...

I'm having trouble comprehending the point of this thread. Isn't "mildest razor" an oxymoron, like "softest hammer"?

If you want a really soft, er, mild razor, just put the baseplate on upside down (yes, there are people who do this, and then write scathing reviews online).

China churns out tons of ultra-mild razors. They seem to think that hiding the blade is a vital safety feature essential to staying alive long enough to see your children and grandchildren grow up. Just look at the photos accompanying the razors!*

Someone at the beginning of the thread nominated the Baili TTO as the mildest razor. Huh? This is the most aggressive of the very mild Baili line. It has more blade exposure and a wider gap than a Gillette Ambassador TTO, Milord or Super Speed. I get a far faster, closer shave with it than those oft touted classics. But used at the wrong angle, the Baili BD179 can be harsh.

The mildest Baili is the BD191. It is so mild, I tried grinding off much of the edges of the top cap, and still couldn't get a usable shave. But apparently some people like it.

Even milder than the BD191 is that gobbledygook-named adjustable razor with the magnetic cap when set to One, or even Two.** It seems to be a pretty good razor, but has the company making it ever considered hiring an advertising agency, or at least someone competent for their marketing department? Referring to: "the funny sounding named razor with the magnets" (FSNRWTM Razor) only takes you so far. No wonder they are down to selling the razor for $7!

I have mixed feelings about Chinese razors. Sometimes they do their homework and get it right, other times they just seem to do the opposite of everyone else, and call it creative. The Baili TTO got it right.

And this no-name, no-number FSNRWTM razor by the what's-it's-name company gets it right on several points, from my limited experience with it. The most impressive thing about the razor is its svelte looks -- it makes the Merkur Futur look like a plated Tinker Toy. The photos do not do it justice.

View attachment 1285828
-- The FSNRWTM Razor

It is particularly nice with its stand. The FSNRWTM belongs in the MOMA collection.

The magnetic cap does work nicely. On another more expensive magnetic razor site there are claims that the magnetic field reduces deterioration of the razor blade by holding the atoms in place better between shaves. Huh? That would be nice, but prove it. I would have like to see using the magnetic field to hold the blade edges in place more firmly during shaving, thus reducing hysteresis.

Everything fits nicely, provided you don't go disassembling it yourself, and put it back together wrong. (That's where the backup razor comes in handy.)

I haven't used it much, and haven't gotten around to comparing the FSNRWTM razor with the Mingshi Futur knockoff MFKROMN (Merkur Futur Knockoff Razor Of Many Names) -- I can only shave once a day, and have been busy with other interesting razors. But it does have a lot to offer. I used it at a fairly high setting. Also, keep in mind the razor is asymmetrical, so the main side will be milder, the side opposite the number marker more aggressive.

The razor uses 1930s Gillette blade alignment patterns, which is good, but not perfect. Since the tabs are covered, you must push against the blade if you want to make minor adjustments. Or hold the razor tilted to one side when you put the blade in, so it settles flush against the alignment guides.

The big bug, like the Futur, is adjusting the razor while shaving without slicing your finger. This is because the tabs are covered with smooth rounded edges that are difficult to grip. I always put the guard against the counter and twist when making adjustments. If the razor is slippery, rinse the soap off your hand. And it would be nice if the numbers were easier to read, but hey, it's $7.

Frankly, I have very little interest in adjustable razors, as I am happy with a good three-piece razor with one setting. But some people like the gimmick. And for those who like mild razors, this offers other more practical options.

So, my advice is tell your friends about this interesting new razor that doesn't have a name made by a company with a name that is impossible to pronounce. Or recommend: "You know, the one that has magnets in it and is kinda pretty, and they're practically giving away. I think it's called the FSNRWTM Razor. Just do a key word search online."

-=-

* The worst razor ever foisted upon me was a pretty Chinese razor with miniscule alignment pins, hidden tabs and almost no blade exposure. The result was that the blade ended up in all sorts of random positions. Pushing it with a finger as far as possible to one side was the only way to get a shave out of it. I tried using it twice. There seem to be a lot of similar Chinese razors being sold online these days. At least the handle was nice.

I am now extremely wary of buying No Name Chinese razors online. This FSNRWTM razor was my only exception.

** You can partially take apart the razor and tinker with the settings so that 1 and 2 are usable, shifting all the settings to somewhat wider gaps.
Well they could have chosen a better name as snmirn for me it is a futul mk2

with the magnetic the only bit I might be afraid of is blade detoriation where the edge you wear of sticks as build up to the underside. But could not notice that.

But do not really notice that asymmetrical aspect either

and I have several adjustables and never cut my fingers not while loading not while unloading (even if blades sometimes stick) and certainly not while adjusting

And if you want a cheap but good looking set get a Yaqi heavy metal brush to accompany it

an efficient comfortable or easy shaving razoris more like it and that weight helps for me but on a low setting it might be a negative reveal

though I still have a nice horizontal scar from a few months back when I screwed up in my neck so maybe the Chinese are afraid for suicidal tendencies around shavers

Attachments

• 77CC7125-AD36-44CB-B6DD-E5D2F159AA2F.jpeg
    77CC7125-AD36-44CB-B6DD-E5D2F159AA2F.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well they could have chosen a better name as snmirn for me it is a futul mk2

with the magnetic the only bit I might be afraid of is blade detoriation where the edge you wear of sticks as build up to the underside. But could not notice that.

But do not really notice that asymmetrical aspect either

and I have several adjustables and never cut my fingers not while loading not while unloading (even if blades sometimes stick) and certainly not while adjusting

And if you want a cheap but good looking set get a Yaqi heavy metal brush to accompany it

an efficient comfortable or easy shaving razoris more like it and that weight helps for me but on a low setting it might be a negative reveal

though I still have a nice horizontal scar from a few months back when I screwed up in my neck so maybe the Chinese are afraid for suicidal tendencies around shavers

I can't even figure out how to look up this razor (much less order one).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I can't even figure out how to look up this razor (much less order one).

Happy shaves,

Jim

alternative

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

alternative

Thanks. I ordered one. I expect it to be junk and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks. I ordered one. I expect it to be junk and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It is a lot like the qshave/mingshi futul. If you have a good one you might be pleasantly surprised. Though so far I have two which look good and shave better. And I did not read much complaints about it.
Would love a red, blue, brass or stainless one

From the top, they look the same...
View attachment 1285876
From the bottom, the Nodachi (on the bottom) has shorter blade mounting tabs (or whatever they're called):
View attachment 1285878
From the side, the Nodachi (right) looks thinner and flatter:
View attachment 1285879
Fully assembled, the Nodachi head (left) has a bigger blade gap:
View attachment 1285880
Looking at picture three, it appears that the threading goes higher on the the Nodachi head. Is that the way it is in person or is it the way the picture is made?

Well they could have chosen a better name as snmirn for me it is a futul mk2 ....

But do not really notice that asymmetrical aspect either ....

Usually when a manufacturer makes an inexpensive razor that is asymmetrical, some smartass rants and raves and returns it and gives it a 1 star review. Such as for this razor:

RG
1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd item w problems
Reviewed in the United States on June 9, 2021
Color: Safety Razor With Brown CaseVerified Purchase
"In Dec I got one and the blade was held canted. The company thought it might have been "damaged" during shipping and offered to send me a new one if I changed my review. I did not do that. Now 6m later, still attracted by the looks of the razor decided to try again. This time the problem was that the razor keeps the blade NOT centered, one side has more exposure than the other, so one side you get a "harsh" shave and the other it almost doesn't shave anything. Tried 4 different brands of good blades. Razor was sent back as it was pretty much useless. A shame, looks nice, doesn't work smoothly..... Done experimenting"

It is sad that this guy can't figure out that it is adjustable, so you can change the settings if one side is too harsh or too mild.

I find this particularly sad because some razors deserve a 1 or 2 star review as warnings to other buyers, and these crank rant reviews muddy the water. Some suggest ignoring the 1 or 5 star reviews, particularly if they lack specificity.

I'm not sure what he means by "canted." As delivered, the left and right side of the head are equal height at all settings. After disassembly and reassembly, they might not be if the head baseplate is not fully lowered. Presumably, this has something to do with the spring pressure. If you have this problem, try reassembling it with the spring turned a bit, or upside down. But you don't really need to disassemble it until you want to lubricate it, or increase the blade gap.

The poster mentions getting cut, though I am not sure if with this razor. This was a problem with the original. If others encounter it with this one, please mention it. However, the key is proper technique: Get the angle right, be careful when making contact with the face, take your time, and most of all, use a mirror - no shaving in the shower.

I bought the original Futur clone in China when it came out years ago. It was nicely packaged with MingShi blades, so presumably it was made by MingShi, a large manufacturer, though it could have been made on contract. The quality and finish were excellent. It was inexpensive in China, but I didn't expect them to be so cheap in the U.S. later. It had no name, other than MingShi, though I think some called it the MingShi 2000. Now some are calling it the Futul, though that only seems to be an unofficial nickname by the shaving community.

It looks like QShave is just a marketer that sells rebadged razors from many manufacturers. Do they sell this razor?

Amazon's info:
SNMIRN
Business Name: HONG KONG MAILI TECHNOLOGY CO., LIMITED
Business Address:
RM B10, 13/F BLK 1 YIP FAT
FACTORY BLDG NO 77 HOI YUEN RD
KWUN TONG KLN
HONG KONG
HK

Here is the Google Maps link, if you want to see the location and building:

Note the "Room B10, 13 floor" part -- Can't see that on the map. Doesn't sound like a huge international import-export conglomerate to me.

Found online:
Hong Kong Maili Technology Co., Limited
Company Number
Status
Live
Incorporation Date
9 January 2020 (over 1 year ago)
Company Type
Private company limited by shares

Their Chinese name translates as:
Hong Kong Wheat Technology Co., Ltd.
However, "wheat" can have many meanings.

That is the ONLY link I found to this company. Do not expect these Scrabble-named companies to be around in a year. And don't expect the quality to remain consistent.

The question remains who is actually making this razor, and will they be around in a year?

At least with Q-Shave you have a company with a name you can pronounce and remember.

In the meantime, this remains the FSNRWTM Razor, the Nameless Razor from the Nearly Nameless Unpronounceable Company, SNMIRN.

The nagging question remains: What the heck does SNMIRN stand for?

Last edited:
My first futul had blades which did not lock properly so they rotated a bit on the axis giving more blade reveal left or right. But if it did lock in place it shaves very well. So I got a new one and that one is still used a lot.

I try to asses a razor after a couple of shaves being the exception if the first one is excellent. The snmirn (I have also seen it under different branding) was such a razor.
But many were not and some of them I still consider very good shavers after some experience.
And some were not my cup of tea and given away.

Hey All - Thought I would throw another contender's hat into the ring for folks that still may want to explore other mild razors. I recently acquired the Phoenix Meta-4 razor after being out of stock for so long. I'm still getting acquainted to the razor but so far it is perhaps one of the smoothest razors I've ever shaved with. My first shave was a bit inefficient but in subsequent shaves I changed my angle of approach a bit and have been finding a nice sweetspot between sublime glide over my face while efficient enough for my skin and whiskers. And I absolutely love the geometry of the head (thin top cap makes this very nimble in tight areas around the nose) and the handle has great heft and stellar knurling. The bottom tip is replaceable but sadly they were out of the Sci-Fi Blue tips when I purchased.

I've been shaving with a Wizamet Super Iridium and think I will try a Kai next to see how that extra blade width helps with overall blade exposure before trying a Feather and other renowned 'sharp' blades. I think this razor certainly fits the 'mild razor, sharp blade' mantra.

This is definitely not a razor for blade feel hunters. But if the goal is a smooth, effortless, and easy shave then I would humbly recommend this razor as well. I'll update in a few days when I've switched to a Kai if anyone's interested in how that razor performs.

20210624_213441.jpg

The mamba 53 is pretty darned mild, but I’ve never tried anything under plate 4 on my Rockwell 6S.

I’ve also never tried anything under plate b in karve.
Forget everything you know a about traditional angle and pressure and the 53 is a pretty fine shaver. Blade angle on the Mamba is 16 degrees so the razor will be completely ineffective at a traditional 30 degree angle.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey All - Thought I would throw another contender's hat into the ring for folks that still may want to explore other mild razors. I recently acquired the Phoenix Meta-4 razor after being out of stock for so long. I'm still getting acquainted to the razor but so far it is perhaps one of the smoothest razors I've ever shaved with. My first shave was a bit inefficient but in subsequent shaves I changed my angle of approach a bit and have been finding a nice sweetspot between sublime glide over my face while efficient enough for my skin and whiskers. And I absolutely love the geometry of the head (thin top cap makes this very nimble in tight areas around the nose) and the handle has great heft and stellar knurling. The bottom tip is replaceable but sadly they were out of the Sci-Fi Blue tips when I purchased.

I've been shaving with a Wizamet Super Iridium and think I will try a Kai next to see how that extra blade width helps with overall blade exposure before trying a Feather and other renowned 'sharp' blades. I think this razor certainly fits the 'mild razor, sharp blade' mantra.

This is definitely not a razor for blade feel hunters. But if the goal is a smooth, effortless, and easy shave then I would humbly recommend this razor as well. I'll update in a few days when I've switched to a Kai if anyone's interested in how that razor performs.

What angle are you finding the best with the Meta-4?

Forget everything you know a about traditional angle and pressure and the 53 is a pretty fine shaver. Blade angle on the Mamba is 16 degrees so the razor will be completely ineffective at a traditional 30 degree angle.
proxy.php

proxy.php
Wow.
I didn't realize the Mamba 53 had positive blade exposure.

What angle are you finding the best with the Meta-4?

I'm afraid my answer may not be wholly satisfactory here but I'll share what I can. In my shaves I really do let the tool dictate the angle. That is to say I try to find the angle that seems most intuitive or natural based on head geometry without paying particular attention to specific angles or degrees. That being said I tend to favor a steep angle generally and I had to adjust to be a hair more shallow for more optimal results.

The adjustment wasn't too significant where muscle memory and habit made the shaves uncomfortable however if that gives any guidance. So I wish I could give you some optimal numerical range but hope that helps. Maybe I'll pay closer attention over the next few mornings and report back.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm afraid my answer may not be wholly satisfactory here but I'll share what I can. In my shaves I really do let the tool dictate the angle. That is to say I try to find the angle that seems most intuitive or natural based on head geometry without paying particular attention to specific angles or degrees. That being said I tend to favor a steep angle generally and I had to adjust to be a hair more shallow for more optimal results.

The adjustment wasn't too significant where muscle memory and habit made the shaves uncomfortable however if that gives any guidance. So I wish I could give you some optimal numerical range but hope that helps. Maybe I'll pay closer attention over the next few mornings and report back.

Great answer. Thanks.

I do it by feedback - audible and tactile - myself; then I notice what the angle is.

Captain of the steep (meme).jpg

I tend to get along better with razors which reward steep angles.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom