What's new

Wooden Razor box. Any interest

the new rare earth neodymium magnets are incredibly strong.
I saw one website that sells them had a disclaimer that some of the larger ones can crush bones and such.
They also do a number on the magnetic strips on creditcards

Have you thought about using magnets instead of a latch?

I hadn't and I just did a search and nobody makes a magnet catch small enough.

I was a little late with my suggestion, maybe next time.

I made the suggestion back on the first on post #27 of this same thread, I guess it went unnoticed.
Bob, I had a question about a travel size wooden box on that same post. Would that be something feasible to fabricate?

I made the suggestion back on the first on post #27 of this same thread, I guess it went unnoticed.
Bob, I had a question about a travel size wooden box on that same post. Would that be something feasible to fabricate?

I don't know what you mean by travel size, the box is only as big as it needs to be. It has to fit a variety of razors.
I'm going to have the niche where the pack of blades go made for them to be on their side instead of flat, so that will shrink the width a bit.
About 2 by 4 inside.

As far as making a box for a dissembled 3 piece, no plans at this time.
Do what I do, spray paint an Altoids box.

Smaller wooden boxes can be just as much labor as larger boxes and without specialized jigs more dangerous to cut the small parts with full size equipment.
Then there's the notion that a smaller box should cost less because it has less materials.
The reality is when making small items it's the labor not the materials that determines cost.
There's also demand which is why I started this topic, I got an e-mail asking if I'd make a wooden razor box.
Well it just as easy to make 10 at one time as it is to make a single unit and it lowers the cost for everybody.

Smaller wooden boxes can be just as much labor as larger boxes and without specialized jigs more dangerous to cut the small parts with full size equipment.
Then there's the notion that a smaller box should cost less because it has less materials.
The reality is when making small items it's the labor not the materials that determines cost.
There's also demand which is why I started this topic, I got an e-mail asking if I'd make a wooden razor box.
Well it just as easy to make 10 at one time as it is to make a single unit and it lowers the cost for everybody.

:confused::confused: Just like that e-mail you got, mine was just a question about feasibility. I didn't mean to imply I was looking for something cheaper than what you are planning to do now, I guess it's good to clarify.

Travel size was the wrong term since anything is travel-worthy if anyone is willing to lug it around.
You answered my question though, no plans for a disassembled 3-piece razor box.
What I have done myself is restore an old Gillette pocket edition box that was falling apart inside, covered it in leather inside instead of the velour and turned out pretty nice.
I liked the idea of a wooden box and seen cigar and pen boxes with this design
proxy.php

Figured one made to order with the insides carved out or divided for a razor would be very nice.

:confused::confused: Just like that e-mail you got, mine was just a question about feasibility. I didn't mean to imply I was looking for something cheaper than what you are planning to do now, I guess it's good to clarify.

Travel size was the wrong term since anything is travel-worthy if anyone is willing to lug it around.
You answered my question though, no plans for a disassembled 3-piece razor box.
What I have done myself is restore an old Gillette pocket edition box that was falling apart inside, covered it in leather inside instead of the velour and turned out pretty nice.
I liked the idea of a wooden box and seen cigar and pen boxes with this design
proxy.php

Figured one made to order with the insides carved out or divided for a razor would be very nice.

I wasn't taking a shot at anybody.
Also I'm willing make anything with in reason if there is enough demand to make it worth while (profitable).
Sorry but my main purpose is for Bob to survive this recession without losing my house.
The purpose of this topic was to see if there was a demand for a copy of the old Gillette box, I wasn't soliciting ideas.
I also didn't read every reply.

Here's a picture of my progress so far.
I'm making 5 boxes that will fit any DE with OAL of 4 inches or less.
These are a little taller and narrower then the Gillette box because I'm making the niche for the blade storage box to be on it side instead of flat.
I'm finishing the outsides of the boxes before I cut the lids off so they will lose 1/8 inch in height.
proxy.php

Here's a picture of my progress so far.
I'm making 5 boxes that will fit any DE with OAL of 4 inches or less.
These are a little taller and narrower then the Gillette box because I'm making the niche for the blade storage box to be on it side instead of flat.
I'm finishing the outsides of the boxes before I cut the lids off so they will lose 1/8 inch in height.
proxy.php
Bob,

I was wondering if you could also make a straight razor coffin. I'm willing to bet a few people here would be interested.

Just caught this thread. I'm up for at least one of those boxes. Keep us posted :smile: . Maybe when you've got stock, put a pic on the bst? I'me sure you'll get loads of orders

Nice work Bob, the box looks really good. What are the dimensions of the box in the photo?

It's 2 5/8ths by 4 5/8ths and 1 5/8ths high, it going to lose 1/8 in height when I cut off the lid.
It 2 by 4 inside and when finished it will be tall enough inside for a pack of Derby to side on their side.

I had to put this project on hold while I waited on some tooling and hardware.
I still need to install the hinges and latch and finish the inside.
Here's it compared to the Gillette box.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom