What's new

Wooden pencils??

I know we're all about fountain pens and other fine writing instruments, and when it comes to pencils, mechanicals get a lot of love. I've got some nice Straeders and my 30+ yr old Pentel P205 for detail, but I still love the feel and nostalgia of wooden pencils. The smell of cedar when sharpening a wooden pencil really takes me back in time. People fight over Blackwing 602's and their Mitsubishi's, but these have always been my favorite-the Ticonderoga Black #2HB. Any other old school wooden pencil fans out there?

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I am admittedly not a big pencil guy, but I know that there is a large and enthusiastic pencil community. I think its great! My daughter is budding author and likes to write with a pencil (like Steinbeck!). I gave her a box of Blackwings and she loves them. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that; it might be an expensive habit to maintain.

I tend to just use the staedtler ones now in B. But I’ve gone through the black wings and Mitsubishi and the tombo.
I use the blue ones now or just a lead holder with 2mm lead.

I am admittedly not a big pencil guy, but I know that there is a large and enthusiastic pencil community. I think its great! My daughter is budding author and likes to write with a pencil (like Steinbeck!). I gave her a box of Blackwings and she loves them. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that; it might be an expensive habit to maintain.

@tankerjohn: "Well, honey. It's Blackwings or the college of your choice. Choose wisely!" ;)

I tend to just use the staedtler ones now in B. But I’ve gone through the black wings and Mitsubishi and the tombo.
I use the blue ones now or just a lead holder with 2mm lead.

I went through a couple of the Palomino Blackwings and a Pearl. Bang for the buck, I still really like the Dixon Ticonderoga Black. I still need to try one of the Mitsubishi's or a Tombo.

I went through a couple of the Palomino Blackwings and a Pearl. Bang for the buck, I still really like the Dixon Ticonderoga Black. I still need to try one of the Mitsubishi's or a Tombo.
They are very nice but expensive in the long run, 12 pack costs 30 bucks which isn’t very cheap.

They are very nice but expensive in the long run, 12 pack costs 30 bucks which isn’t very cheap.

Try the Ticonderoga Black and let me know what you think. I think I paid less than $5 per dozen, and think they're a great product. Smooth, hold a point well, and the QC seems to be spot-on. Also, I appreciate the clean look.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I love using wooden pencils but had no idea there was a high end model. I have an electric sharpener in my office and an old school crank in my wood shop.
I'm the only old-school crank in my shop. As for sharpening pencils, I use a Panasonic electric, "borrowed" eons ago, along with a stapler, from an old employer. Mostly, I write with #2 Ticonderogas. And, yes, fresh pencil shavings do bring back memories of youth.

I like mechanical pencils for some writing, when I'm not using a fountain pen. But I have gotten interested in learning to draw in the past few years, and have gotten quite a few wood pencils since then, using them mostly to draw with.

Mitsubishi Hi-Uni pencils are quite nice, and I splurged on their set of 22, running from 10B to 10H leads, with everything in between. I found that I am able to use all the softer leads at least some of the time, but anything harder that 6H is pretty much a waste as far as I'm concerned, and I seldom use above 3H.

Conté makes a nice set of graphite drawing pencils in addition to their "crayons" and pastel pencils.

Conté.jpg
For vintage wood pencils, I pick up Eagle (or Berol) 314 draughting pencils when I can find them at a reasonable price. Because it isn't always easy to find them at a price that I'll pay, I make sure that they last as long as possible.

I love using pencils, both mechanical and wood, but mostly the latter since they help justify another every day carry that overlaps a bit with razors: the pocket knife. Sharpening a pencil with a blade is a fun little whittling activity and allows you to get just the point you want: extra fine for, say, notes added to a document; or wide for rough carpentry or shading a drawing. With practice it only takes a few seconds to bring back a dull point.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like pencils but don’t really use them. Awhile ago I had a happy discovery of the castell jumbo pencil in an art store. They require a larger sharpener. Try as I might I’m just not artistic and pencils don’t float my boat at work.

I’m also fond of carpenter square or flat pencils I have several in the tool box.

I still have a Pentel P200 0.9mm automatic pencil that my dad got for me when I embarked on my O Level Technical Drawing class in 1975 - he was a draughtsman back in the dim and distant and got me a set of Pentels and some templates to draw ellipses, nuts and bolts which I may still have somewhere. The Pentel is definitely here on my desk at work(!)

I also use wooden pencils, mainly for quick scribbling so I don't forget calls or to-do things, the current weapon of choice is one I picked up from the Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta.

Top Bottom