What's new

Wolfman WR2 0.75 vs 0.85

The Wolfman WR2 0.95 SB is a mild but efficient razor on my face, but still requires some attention. So I decided to try a lower gap. Since I could not find many reviews, I decided to order a 0.75/0.85 head.

First shave: I knew that a three days beard would have been a challenging test.

Feather blade, Boellis soap, Zenith Manchurian. 0.85 on R, 0.75 on L, both used with a steep angle.

Generally I use 2 passes (WTG/ATG) + touch-ups.

Results: No audible feedback on either side during the WTG. Very minimal on the 0.85 side during the ATG. The smoothness is truly impressive and blows the 0.95 away. But the efficiency is not quite there yet, so I decided to do a third XTG pass + touch-ups. The final result is very similar to the one I generally obtain with the 0.95, but with a much higher degree of smoothness, easy feeling and comfort. Alum block gives minimal tingling on R side, negligible on L.

When I bought this razor the idea was to use it as a daily shaver, the 0.85 WTG and the 0.75 ATG . Tomorrow I will shave again (1 day beard) using that mode and I will let you know the results.
Thanks, Claudio
IMG_8200.jpeg

I will follow this with interest.

While I am a big fan of the WR2 1.55 gap (used very steep with a light touch), I think the 0.95 gap is an equally good choice, with a very different feel (used at a neutral angle). Both give me very efficient, very close, but very comfortable shaves, with almost no effort or need for buffing - they just do it very differently.

The 0.95 has a luxurious feel and it is still a very efficient razor for me - perhaps more efficient than is really needed. It makes me wonder if the 0.85 or 0.75 gaps would offer an even more gentle, luxury feel but still be efficient enough. The 0.95 feels like overkill sometimes - which I didn’t expect, coming from the 1.55.

It sounds like you experienced the 0.95 gap similarly to me, and you’re asking the same questions.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as well, while I wait for my name to get to the top of the Wolfman list. I keep counting down the weeks until I Hear from Tara officially. She's returned several emails already... just not the one authorizing a purchase.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as well, while I wait for my name to get to the top of the Wolfman list. I keep counting down the weeks until I Hear from Tara officially. She's returned several emails already... just not the one authorizing a purchase.

Watched!

I use the .95SB. Great razor, but if I am in a hurry, I can nick myself. I didn't even know Wolfman made those gaps below .95mm. Interested to hear more since most of my other top-tier razors have gaps between .67mm and .77mm. So these lower gap plates from Wolfman are massively intriguing.

Efficiency would be much better if you went shallow. When you go to low-gap razors that don't have much blade exposure (much less those with zero or negative exposure), steep angle shaving becomes much less efficient.

Give it a try as shallow as you can go and see what happens.

Efficiency would be much better if you went shallow. When you go to low-gap razors that don't have much blade exposure (much less those with zero or negative exposure), steep angle shaving becomes much less efficient.

Give it a try as shallow as you can go and see what happens.
Hello, with my Wolfmans I have always used a steep angle. And I can guarantee that even the low gap performed very well. But what you are suggesting makes sense. So, in the morning, I will compare both techniques as well (steep on one side and shallow on the other) and let you know. Thanks

Well, I did shave again this morning. So, 1 day beard. Same soap, blade and brush. 0.85 for the WTG and 0.75 ATG, but using a shallow angle, as suggested by Kingfisher, on the R and a steep angle on the L. I also went back to my usual 2 passes + touch-ups.

Results: Efficiency and smoothness, no cuts or irritation. Indeed the shallow angle added a slight increase in audible feedback and efficiency. This is the best razor for my face and beard. Very similar results to those obtainable with the 0.95 and the 1.05, but the smoothness is at another new level and there is no need to pay much attention for fear of cutting yourself. Think of it as an even more comfortable but very efficient Feather AS-D2.

Claudio

Recently, a friend of mine had the pleasure to test a WR2 1.25 and while he really enjoys efficient razors, he said that it was too much for him and I was left with the impression that the WR2 1.25 isn't that scarry according to many folks around. At some point I will ask the guy who owns the WR2 to lend it for a few days and I will give him something else for him to test in return.

I really want to see how the legendary WR2 performs, because I keep hearing how it's a very steep razor and I enjoy steep razors more than anything else and if I like it, I might pull the trigger and buy just the head. The Wolfman handles look nice, but they seem very impractical imo as well as unnecessarily expensive.

Hello. The steep angle provides me with unsurpassed confort, although slightly less efficient than the shallow angle. Is it the case also for you?
yes same for me. i think the optimal angle is having the top cap and the safety bar both touching your skin. that’s when the razor blade is as close as possible to your skin. a steeper angle takes the blade a bit further from your skin so it loses efficiency but gains comfort.

The Wolfman WR2 0.95 SB is a mild but efficient razor on my face, but still requires some attention. So I decided to try a lower gap. Since I could not find many reviews, I decided to order a 0.75/0.85 head.

First shave: I knew that a three days beard would have been a challenging test.

Feather blade, Boellis soap, Zenith Manchurian. 0.85 on R, 0.75 on L, both used with a steep angle.

Generally I use 2 passes (WTG/ATG) + touch-ups.

Results: No audible feedback on either side during the WTG. Very minimal on the 0.85 side during the ATG. The smoothness is truly impressive and blows the 0.95 away. But the efficiency is not quite there yet, so I decided to do a third XTG pass + touch-ups. The final result is very similar to the one I generally obtain with the 0.95, but with a much higher degree of smoothness, easy feeling and comfort. Alum block gives minimal tingling on R side, negligible on L.

When I bought this razor the idea was to use it as a daily shaver, the 0.85 WTG and the 0.75 ATG . Tomorrow I will shave again (1 day beard) using that mode and I will let you know the results.
Thanks, Claudio
View attachment 1593077
muscle memory with the proper angle, ride the bar, perfect shaves...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you were to order a regular lower gap WR2, without the two different gaps, which would you choose: the 0.75 or the 0.85?

I get along with my WR2 0.95 but I don’t reach for it often enough, hence the question. My name is coming up in a couple weeks and I was going to buy a WR4, but I’m loving my two La Faulx razors so much, I don’t think I would appreciate it as much as I thought I would.

My money might be better spent on a lower gap WR2. I should add: I’m an every other day shaver and typically do a 4 pass shave as I do 2 XTG passes, one in each direction. I’m guessing, until I read your collective input, the 0.75 would be more noticeable than a reduction of 0.10 from my 0.90. DE razors I find myself choosing over the WR2 0.95? The Blutt BR-1 1.20, the Rocnel Elite, Lambda Athena and the Timeless TI 0.68OC, to name a few.

All thoughts are welcome.

Hello. It really depends on your ultimate goal. If you value more comfort, then the 0.75 would provide that. I always tend to use less “aggressive” razors (Timeless 0.68 CC, CG level 1, Feather As-D2) and I find the 0.75 excellent. The 0.85 is obviously milder than the 0.95, and perhaps could be a good choice for you, because of the 4 passes technique.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello. It really depends on your ultimate goal. If you value more comfort, then the 0.75 would provide that. I always tend to use less “aggressive” razors (Timeless 0.68 CC, CG level 1, Feather As-D2) and I find the 0.75 excellent. The 0.85 is obviously milder than the 0.95, and perhaps could be a good choice for you, because of the 4 passes technique.
Thx for your quick response. All my razors fall into the upper mild to lower medium range. I’m going to get a few shaves in with the WR2 0.95 over the next two weeks to see if anything settles out.

I noticed, just this morning, I haven’t used it for months. I need to figure out why that is. It might be nothing but it strikes me as odd I’m not choosing to use it. It’s a lovely razor, especially in bronze, at least for me.

I just checked My Shave Den. I started using it in January and haven’t used the WR2 once so far this year.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Don’t get me wrong. I have great shaves that last for 12 hours. I have always thought they were smooth and comfortable. Finding the sweet spot doesn’t seem difficult for me. I didn’t record any issues with the WR2.

I’m questioning myself because I noticed I haven’t used my WR2 this calendar year and I’m wondering why that is.

Edit: It’s quite possible the only reason why is because I’ve added a few razors and have been trying them out.

Don’t get me wrong. I have great shaves that last for 12 hours. I have always thought they were smooth and comfortable. Finding the sweet spot doesn’t seem difficult for me. I didn’t record any issues with the WR2.

I’m questioning myself because I noticed I haven’t used my WR2 this calendar year and I’m wondering why that is.

Edit: It’s quite possible the only reason why is because I’ve added a few razors and have been trying them out.
The use effect of cnc double-sided knife holder is better than that of antique gem. Theoretically, the blades of ac and gem are better than double-sided blades. The use effect of la faulex has begun to surpass that of cnc double-sided, and it is more comfortable to shave.
So, your wr2 .95 was forgotten!:c1:

Top Bottom