What's new

Wolfman WR1 or WR2 and Blade Gap Help!

Hi all, I am looking for some help and guidance. I have read several posts across the internet about the different head features and some general information about blade gaps, but I am still having some trouble deciding. I know everyone’s face is different, but your experiences with the Wolfman heads and blade gaps would be much appreciated. I’m hoping this will give both me and others trying to decide some clear guidance and some compares to other high end razors out there.

I’ve had a few back and forth emails with Wolfman, but I am not really getting the help I need, however when you are spending hundreds of dollars on a razor, you want to make sure it’s the right configuration. There are no swaps or returns so its even more pertinent I do my due diligence. Here are some details that I am hoping will help others help me decide ;)

I own a Timeless .95 SB and it shaves fantastic
I owned a Carbon .68 SB and had to swap out the base plate to a .88 due to too much blade feel/aggression which has significantly less blade feel, but is super efficient and comfortable. It is now an awesome razor and now up their with my Timeless
I owned a Blackbird SB, but found that while it produced a good shave, I felt like it had too much blade feel resulting in a similar experience to the .68 Carbon
I own a Charcoal Goods L2 SB and it provides a close comfortable shave, but it’s not quite as efficient as the Timeless .95 or Carbon .88. It’s still up there in my list though

So with all this being said, I like the slim profile of the WR1 but I’ve read it has more blade feel. I read the WR2 has less blade feel, but its a tad bulkier so it’s harder to get under the nose. I thought I had sensitive skin, but after using the .95 and .88 I am not so sure, given there is less blade feel? In fact I’ve tried the 34C and ASD2 and neither gave me close shaves. I had to do multiple passes.

Wolfman has serval blade gap choices for each head and I am struggling to pick one. Any help would be awesome! If there is any other info you need let me know and I’ll update the post. Thanks in advance!

Wolfman WR2 SB with 0.95 or 1.05 GAP
Thanks for responding so quickly! Could you provide a little more detail on your choice? Do you have any issues with getting in tight spaces? Did you find the head shape any bulkier then a Timeless or Fatboy, etc?

Although I haven’t tried the WR1, I own an WR2 and the head profile is relatively slim, much slimmer than Timeless razors and the Fatboy.

I hear you about shaving heads and getting up under the nose (my growth is very close to the nose, and to my lips and corners of the mouth judging by other people's shaving videos/reviews). I had the same problem for a long time. My solution was to pull up rather firmly on the nose (each nostril, actually), but that was not enough by itself. Then I essentially take the razor with the handle almost parallel to the face (close to my lips), top cap touching the nose. Then I 'scrape' down and 'roll' the razor head (lifting the handle up, the razor scrapes as it moves since it's against the nose) more than shave until I can get to the right angle. I hope that makes sense.

With the WR2 liking a more ride-the-bar/handle-more-parallel-to-face approach, it shaves that area very well for me. I don't find the WR2 any more difficult than a slimmer head like the Karve, for example.

Thanks all for the comments and thoughts! Please keep them coming. It looks like everyone is leaning on the WR2. I am assuming because of the less blade feel? Now just need to hone in on the blade gap.

I hear you about shaving heads and getting up under the nose (my growth is very close to the nose, and to my lips and corners of the mouth judging by other people's shaving videos/reviews). I had the same problem for a long time. My solution was to pull up rather firmly on the nose (each nostril, actually), but that was not enough by itself. Then I essentially take the razor with the handle almost parallel to the face (close to my lips), top cap touching the nose. Then I 'scrape' down and 'roll' the razor head (lifting the handle up, the razor scrapes as it moves since it's against the nose) more than shave until I can get to the right angle. I hope that makes sense.

With the WR2 liking a more ride-the-bar/handle-more-parallel-to-face approach, it shaves that area very well for me. I don't find the WR2 any more difficult than a slimmer head like the Karve, for example.
Thanks for the info! Any thoughts on blade gap?

Another vote for WR2 1.15 SB

I use the Charcoal Goods level 2 SB as my baseline and was recommended by several members to go with the WR2 1.15. I agree with their assessment of it being a touch more efficient and a touch smoother, but generally similar.

I own timeless SS 95 OC and SS 95 scalloped , and Wolfman 1.15OC and they seem all almost the same to me if that’s any help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer the Timeless .68 SB and ordered the WR 2 SB with a 1.05 gap. Since you like the .95 Timeless I would go with the 1.15 gap.

Thanks all for the comments and thoughts! Please keep them coming. It looks like everyone is leaning on the WR2. I am assuming because of the less blade feel? Now just need to hone in on the blade gap.

No, it’s because the WR2 head design is a masterpiece. A marked improvement in aesthetics and performance over the WR1. The WR2 design is far more unique among DE razors.

I think the WR2 1.15 SB would be right in your wheelhouse.

^I was going to say exactly this. I could have written your razor profile myself, except that I’ve never owned a Carbon razor. I have the WR2 1.15 and it’s the absolutely perfect combination of smoothness and efficiency. It mostly splits time with my Timeless Ti .95SB, and occasionally my GC84 and Karve C/D.

I own timeless SS 95 OC and SS 95 scalloped , and Wolfman 1.15OC and they seem all almost the same to me if that’s any help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
^I was going to say exactly this. I could have written your razor profile myself, except that I’ve never owned a Carbon razor. I have the WR2 1.15 and it’s the absolutely perfect combination of smoothness and efficiency. It mostly splits time with my Timeless Ti .95SB, and occasionally my GC84 and Karve C/D.
Awesome! Thanks for the added details!

Do you shave daily? Then WR1 .80 or WR2 1.15
Every 2 or 3 days? WR1 .94 or WR2 1.35
I am the odd man out as I prefer the WR1 over the WR2 it has a little more blade feel, not BBird or Carbon level, but is extremely smooth for me. I kept my WR1 .61, .74 and .94 and my WR2 1.45.

Do you shave daily? Then WR1 .80 or WR2 1.15
Every 2 or 3 days? WR1 .94 or WR2 1.35
I am the odd man out as I prefer the WR1 over the WR2 it has a little more blade feel, not BBird or Carbon level, but is extremely smooth for me. I kept my WR1 .61, .74 and .94 and my WR2 1.45.
I shave every other day. I can grow a healthy beard but I don’t have think coarse hair. I also don’t have a 5 o’clock shadow. I do a 2 pass shave, WTG and XTG. My skin tends to get a bit sensitive after that. Thoughts? When I was considering the WR1 I was thinking the .74, again I’m unsure though. For the WR2, it seems the 1.15 or 1.25 are the best options based off others feedback. You consider even more aggressive?

I have a WR2 1.15sb/1.35sb. I can use both sides daily comfortably. Before it, I was using a CG lvl 2, vector, CG lvl 3, Nodachi. Both gaps blew everything else out of the water. Like said above, the design is unlike anything else out there in the way it clamps the blade down. More efficient than the lvl 2 but same smooth shave. Lvl 3 vs 1.35 was about the same results, but WM was much smoother and CG required more buffing. I’d say go for 1.25 if you can handle the CG lvl 2. That’s what I’ll be ordering next time round.

From experience, having tried the razors you listed above, I would go for WR2 1.15 if you like Timeless.95 efficiency. If you would like Carbon Cx++ efficiency then go for Wr2 1.25, and if you like Blackbird efficiency then go for Wr2 1.45. Just my 2cents, good luck with your decision.

for reference i have the Timeless 0.95 SB SS and the WR2 1.25 SB.

The general consensus on this forum is the WR2 1.15 and the Timeless 0.95 SB are on par in terms of efficiency.

I opted for the 1.25 gap and i find this just as smooth at the T 0.95 SB but a little more efficient.

Hope this helps, but i dont think you can go wrong with either.

Last edited:
I don't think you could go wrong with the WR1 or WR2. They are both great razors and each have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't have any trouble getting under my nose with either. It sounds like you would like the WR2 115 or 125. I would probably say the 125 since you shave every other day.

Top Bottom