What's new

WM Wilkinsons seem sooooo familiar!

I stopped in and picked up five packs of the Wal-Mart Wilkinson Sword blades made in Germany today and what strikes me is the dispenser is the EXACT same one that was used on the WM Schick Platinum blades that WM carried in the late 90's up until the mid 2000's which was replaced by the WM Personna blades.
I have shaven once with the Wilkinson and it seems very similar to the shaves I get from the old Schick product.
Also the blades and dispenser is unmarked on the Wilkinsons which makes me wonder if maybe they are the exact same blade that was once sold as Schick Platinum.
Either way it seems to be a really nice blade at a good price. I can foresee buying another hundred or so of them soon to add to my stockpile.
Wp

Also, knowing the secretive world of DE production (and origin), these blades could be made in Germany and then packaged in USA or Mexico, especially because that sure looks to be the Schick DE dispenser.

Was anyone buying Schick DEs that were not NOS, say 2 or 3 years ago? Did they ever come from Germany? The last ones I saw were at Big Lots, and they had the old dispenser as well, but don't recall where they were from. It was after it was clear that the injectors had moved to Germany.

They may just have made a lot of inventory before they stopped production. I bought a bunch of the last of the US made injectors in 10-packs on ebay from someone who was getting them from the Company Store in Milford CT. Turns out they were earmarked for Japan, even after they were selling the 7 packs from Germany here in the USA.....

Was just in Europe and all the Wilkinsons I saw had the plastic dispenser with paper wrapped blades.

Also, knowing the secretive world of DE production (and origin), these blades could be made in Germany and then packaged in USA or Mexico, especially because that sure looks to be the Schick DE dispenser.

Very likely scenario.
It IS the old Schick dispenser filled with German Wilkie blades.

The last non-NOS Schicks I bought were around 2004 or 2005 and I believe they were made in USA.
The old Schicks were much better than WM Personna and I am gonna go ahead and say the new Wilkinsons are also.
Wp

You do know that Schick = Wilkinson Sword.

The two brands are both owned by Energizer Holdings. The Schick brand is primarily used in the USA, and the Wilkinson Sword brand is more prevalent in Europe. So Wilkinson Sword/ Schick certainly still has the blueprints for the old blade dispenser.

You do know that Schick = Wilkinson Sword.

The two brands are both owned by Energizer Holdings. The Schick brand is primarily used in the USA, and the Wilkinson Sword brand is more prevalent in Europe. So Wilkinson Sword/ Schick certainly still has the blueprints for the old blade dispenser.

and those blueprints for the dispenser can be filled in china....the blades are no doubt german,but the dispenser could be made anywhere.....I picked up a couple of packs today at wm...10 blades for $1.75

and those blueprints for the dispenser can be filled in china....the blades are no doubt german,but the dispenser could be made anywhere.....I picked up a couple of packs today at wm...10 blades for $1.75

Yes good point....It could be filled in China where they do the injectors as well. The packaging on the cases could give a clue, as the paper maker puts a mark on the bottom indicating where the box was made.....

Wherever it is they came from, I tried one out half an hour ago for the first time ever. I used my Treet Delrin razor and got a nice shave from this.

How this blade compares with the Wilkinsons in fancier packaging I don't know. Does anyone here? A question of coatings? Or are they -wait for it- just screwing with our heads for a change? >Sigh!<

Before the Energizer deal sometime in the mid-1990's, Wilkinson sold a shaving foam in a grey 7-oz. can that was significantly better than others I'd tried. The same discount drug store where I purchased this cream also sold a single-blade disposable razor called Wilkinson Colours in packs of 7 for $0.42. They worked quite well for me and made me aware, along with random comment from someone at work, of the effects of twin blade vs. single blade razors.

Wilkinson's U.S. headquarters at the time was in Atlanta. When their canned shave cream disappeared from local store shelves, I called them in Atlanta only to find out the cream had been discontinued.

The Wilkinson Colours razor then disappeared from the shelves, probably about the time of the Energizer deal. It re-emerged briefly in a bag labelled "Schick Colours," then disappeared for good.

Though I didn't realize it at the time, those days were probably the beginning of the end for me and cartridge razors.

As for the Wal-Mart Wilkinsons, they may be OK for 19 cents a blade, but I just finished a week of very nice shaves with a Treet Durasharp Classic, 15 cents a blade, including shipping, and I intend to start the week with a new Treet.

I used to use Wilkinson Colors! Single-blade disposables were what I shaved with and they were good and cheap. Don't remember what I paid.

The WalMart Wilks @ 19 cents apiece tax-paid are worth no more to me. The Indo-Bengali-Pak manufacturers deliver the same or better product for less money. :001_smile

The Colours were a great value. I also used to buy the Retractor at Target. It was wonderful, a more expensive single blade disposable. There is an ad on youtube from Australia for it......

I bought Colors as long as they were available. Went ultimately to the Bic Sensitive single-blade disposable.

My dermatologist told me to use single-blade shavers and he was right. I have not had a problem in all that time and now with DE I have come full circle. :thumbup:

***, the Wilkinson Sword blades I see locally are ~$1/blade. And I haven't seen any at Wal-Mart.

Third shave with the WM Wilkinson today and still going strong :thumbup1:
WTG and ATG were both smooth.
I am believing these blades will hold up.
Wp

Last edited:
Top Bottom