What's new

WK Fougere Mania

I received two jars of fougere mania in the new siero base, and shaved for the first time with it. The weapon of choice was a Feather Artist Club SS paired with a Kai Captain Mild blade. I've included a picture, along with some of its closest competitors, and the initial assessment is very good. It offers excellent slickness, but I'm not sure the post shave feel can match the GD Nai base, although is is still excellent. More shaves are needed to get a better idea of the performance.

20191118_182345.jpg

I just received my Fougere Mania yesterday and plan to shave with it this morning. Unfortunately, I have not yet gotten my hands on the GD Nai formulation or the M&M Kodiak formula, both of which I want to try as well.

I have tried Declaration Grooming Milksteak Massacre of the Innocents. It is a great soap, but post shave is not as good as some other soaps in my den.

The scent on the Fougere Mania is a nice take on the Fougere theme, but it does have a powdery scent typical of many Fougeres. Here are the scent notes:

Neroli forward with notes of Lavender, Amber, Oakmoss, Coumarin, Tonka Bean, Musk, and Labdanum.

The use of Neroli rather than bergamot is interesting, although both scents are similar.

I have Nantahala as well, but I've only used it a couple of times. Shaving with a straight/AC I've started to value slickness almost as much as post shave feel. I agree that the scent is slightly powdery, and rather mild. My only other experience with a fougere is B&M fougere gothique, which I love.

My SAD is becoming very hard to fight on this one. I had it in my cart, but couldn't pull the trigger (yet anyway) I have tons of soap, but really find it hard to do $30 for 4oz. I may still grab the unscented Siero soap because I am really interested in this base and it's a bit less expensive.

My SAD is becoming very hard to fight on this one. I had it in my cart, but couldn't pull the trigger (yet anyway) I have tons of soap, but really find it hard to do $30 for 4oz. I may still grab the unscented Siero soap because I am really interested in this base and it's a bit less expensive.

I agree that $30 is a pretty steep price to charge for a shaving soap. However, after shaving with Fougere Mania, I feel that it is worth the price, at least for me. The slickness, cushion, and post shave feel are outstanding. The scent is nice. It did take just a little longer to develop a smooth lather than with DG Milksteak, but the postshave was better with the Siero.

Thus, I now consider WK Siero to be at the top of my extensive soap collection. However, every king is subject to being dethroned. I have not yet tried M&M Kodiak base or GD Nai formula.

The latest soaps from top artisans have now become so good that it is hard to distinguish one from the other in performance. They will all give a superb shaving experience. A&E Yogurt formula, B&M Excelsior, DG Milksteak, GD several formulations, M&M Aon and Kodiak, WK Bufala and Siero and Zingari Man new tallow formula are all superb soaps. However, there are many others who are just slightly behind, some at more attractive prices for those not willing to pay the top prices.

it really is hard to distinguish the top level artisans. M&M Aon has spoiled me a bit because the price/oz ratio is so good for such an excellent soap. Zingari man is also on my list to try, the list just seems to keep growing! i think i will throw Fougere Mania and a few others on my Christmas wish list to my wife. though in complete honesty, i don't really like her to know the prices of some of these things that always show up in our mailbox! I mean it's not lying if you just don't fess up to prices right?! :biggrin1:

it really is hard to distinguish the top level artisans. M&M Aon has spoiled me a bit because the price/oz ratio is so good for such an excellent soap. Zingari man is also on my list to try, the list just seems to keep growing! i think i will throw Fougere Mania and a few others on my Christmas wish list to my wife. though in complete honesty, i don't really like her to know the prices of some of these things that always show up in our mailbox! I mean it's not lying if you just don't fess up to prices right?! :biggrin1:

Ask your wife to give you gift cards to your favorite shaving supply store. That way, she controls the total value, but you get to spend the funds any way you wish without her knowing specific prices.

Another thing I have done is order items prior to my birthday, Father's Day, Christmas, etc. and telling her to confiscate the package when it arrives, releasing it on the appropriate date.

They said $15 was too high for a soap a few years ago and then they said $20. Then it became $25 and now it's $30. The price of "crack" goes up and the addicts keep comin' back.

Two face and a head shave down with Bare Siero. Definitely a better lather and post shave than DG Milksteak. I have not tried Mohammad’s Nai formula yet but Siero is the best of the bunch so far having used most every homemade soap cooker from 2011 to present. Great base.

Two face and a head shave down with Bare Siero. Definitely a better lather and post shave than DG Milksteak. I have not tried Mohammad’s Nai formula yet but Siero is the best of the bunch so far having used most every homemade soap cooker from 2011 to present. Great base.
That is good to hear as I have a Fougere Mania set on order. How does Siero compare with B&M Excelsior in your view? I have been enjoying Excelsior. That said, I am having a real hard time comparing soap bases these days as I have been using Grooming Dept Pre-Shave--that product makes every soap I use slick.

I think Excelsior still holds its own in terms of slickness. Post shave falls a bit short of the newest offerings. One place B&M excels is their ability to create incredible scents

Ask your wife to give you gift cards to your favorite shaving supply store. That way, she controls the total value, but you get to spend the funds any way you wish without her knowing specific prices.

Another thing I have done is order items prior to my birthday, Father's Day, Christmas, etc. and telling her to confiscate the package when it arrives, releasing it on the appropriate date.
Excellent idea, i actually just forwarded her the GC links to Maggard, Stirling and West Coast Shaving.

That is good to hear as I have a Fougere Mania set on order. How does Siero compare with B&M Excelsior in your view? I have been enjoying Excelsior.

Excelsior is a nice soap but this new Siero was a much better thought out base when developed. It’s a better product. I can’t come to any other conclusion after using it. The lather and post are unmatched today. Again, I haven’t tried GD Nai yet.

They said $15 was too high for a soap a few years ago and then they said $20. Then it became $25 and now it's $30. The price of "crack" goes up and the addicts keep comin' back.
It’s getting out of hand!!! There are so many soaps I want to buy but just feel insane paying more than $20. I have recently (over the last 6 months) purchased Seville in excelsior, apr passione and DG MOTI. I love them all. MOTI is incredible for me. Just wish prices would stay under 20 so I could justify buying more.

Last edited:
It’s getting out of hand!!! There are so many soaps I want to buy but just feel insane paying more than $20. I have recently (over the last 6 months) purchased Seville in excelsior, apr passione and DG MOTI. I love them all. MOTI is incredible for me. Just wish prices would stay under 20 so I could justify buying more.

There are still some bargains out there (UNDER $20) The performance might not be quite as good as the best soaps, but it will still be good enough for a great shave.

Ariana and Evans- several scents
Barrister and Mann Excelsior Base- most scents
Declaration Grooming- non-Chatillon Lux collaborations
Murphy and McNeil Aon base

In some cases, these are older formulation from Artisans who have moved on to new heights.

Top Bottom