What's new

Withstanding the Test of Time

I've spent the last month up in northern Vermont. Got a very nice shave kit up there, which now includes a Georgetown Pottery scuttle.

Now i'm back in NYC and was looking forward to my shave this morning. Rummaging through my drawer, I saw a container of what used to be Art of Shaving Lemon cream but now contained Virgilio Valobra Almond soap. I'd put it in there many years ago and kind of forgot about it. I decided to give it a shot.

I put some hot water over it for the bloom and showered. Used the bloom to prep my beard. Although the aroma wasn't as strong as what I remembered; it was still there. Subtle and very nice.

I skimmed the top with a small spoon, spread it on the bottom of the bowl, and worked up a great lather in no time. This after my second pass:

IMG_2981.jpeg

Great soap which I wish was still being produced and sold. Alas...gone the way of the dinosaur. But so impressive that it's still excellent after all this time.

I do still have a bar of their menthol which I just can't seem to make myself open up and use. It was my go to for years:

IMG_2982.jpeg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Valobra Crema di Sapone Purissima, available in Menthol and Mandorla (Almond), was of my favourite in the early years of my wet shaving journey. A SUPERB soft soap, among the very best of them all.

Virgilio Valobra is unquestionably one of the greatest soap makers Italy has ever had. A true legend.

Valobra Crema di Sapone Purissima, available in Menthol and Mandorla (Almond), was of my favourite in the early years of my wet shaving journey. A SUPERB soft soap, among the very best of them all.

Virgilio Valobra is unquestionably one of the greatest soap makers Italy has ever had. A true legend.
One of these days I'll open that Menthol box. I agree: excellent soap!

I really enjoyed the Valobra hard shaving soap, sold in sticks. Unfortunately, when I ran out of the soap, it was no longer available. If I had known, I would have stocked up.

I like your old scuttle, too!

I have used a brick (maybe 2) of Valobra menthol. Good summer soap. When you were using it frequently, how did you obtain it? I’m sure I ordered the two bricks online, though I can’t remember from whom. No local retailers in my town.

I have used a brick (maybe 2) of Valobra menthol. Good summer soap. When you were using it frequently, how did you obtain it? I’m sure I ordered the two bricks online, though I can’t remember from whom. No local retailers in my town.
I ordered online. Don’t remember what site.

The Pereira scuttle is great. Works as it should and the grip fits my hand perfectly.

I got a block, thankfully before they discontinued it and pressed into a mug. I haven't used it in a while, but am inspired to pull it out soon.

What a wonderful soap.

I got a block, thankfully before they discontinued it and pressed into a mug. I haven't used it in a while, but am inspired to pull it out soon.

What a wonderful soap.
It preserved really well in the screw top jar I used. Great soap!

These days Italian "croaps" have become my goto, I almost exclusively use Cella brick, and Vitos. Fantastic lather, fantastic price, and whipped up in no time.

But, I never had much success with the Valobra hard soaps, unfortunately. I really "wanted to love them", it was such a cool soap, loved the subtle scent of the stick, but I found that it was just way too much work to whip up even just a half-decent lather. I went through a couple of sticks that way, and a tub of pachouly hard soap.
But eventually I gave up on Velobra hard soaps. I didn't even notice when Velobra went out of business.

Top Bottom