What's new

With the grain (WTG)twice.your thoughts?

I get the best results from two slightly diagonal WTG/XTG passes crossing in opposite directions, plus a quick XTG cleanup on my cheekbones. ATG hurts, so I don't do it. This results in a very close shave with no irritation.

I was doing 2 WTG passes when I was trying to get my technique down. It gave good results.
If you're happy with the 2 passes, keep doing it. It'll probably save you some grief.

I've had many a morning with just 2 WTG passes and had good results. Glad you have good results too.

Lately I've been doing WTG, then 2X XTG (once starting on left side and once starting on right side). I stole this idea from Nick Shaves on You Tube, and it works really well!

I plan on adopting this method of shaving. I find that I can never shave against the grain without bleeding. No matter how little pressure I use, the blade cuts me up. At some point, I stopped caring about the elusive BBS because as much as I want a close shave, having a comfortable shave is slightly more important to me. I have a Joris razor, which is aggressive enough, so I don't look terrible if I only go WTG. I'm just tired of getting irritation, and luckily I don't need to be clean shaven for my job. But if I wanted to maintain a clean look, there is no way I could shave daily unless I only go WTG. Adding passes in any other direction would require at least a day off for my skin to get a break from the abuse.

I'll have to give it a try, although my XTG/AG passes are pretty painless these days now that I shimmed my razor. Before shimming, XTG/AG used to tug like crazy at the jawline and neck.

In my 2.5 weeks of DE shaving I have stuck exclusive with WTG passes, two passes on most days. For me, I think it's safest to stick to WTG because I am prone to ingrown hairs and razor bumps, which is what is what drew me to DE shaving in the first place. I might not ever achieve the elusive BBS shave this way, but so far I'm getting decent results, which are improving as my skill grows and I think I have dialed in on the best blade for me. (Tried a Feather blade for the first time a couple days ago, and it seems to do the trick for me.) My shaves so far look and feel better than with the electric I used previously, and most important to me no ingrown hairs/bumps, so I'll probably stick with what I'm doing.

As others have said, it's all about what works for you! Personally I do more of a hybrid XTG pass followed by an ATG on my cheeks and a strange Gillette Slide/J hook combo on my neck that is somewhere between XTG and ATG.

As you gain experience, you will learn how to maximize smoothness without sacrificing comfort! Stick with it, I promise the end result is worth it!

I plan on adopting this method of shaving. I find that I can never shave against the grain without bleeding. No matter how little pressure I use, the blade cuts me up. At some point, I stopped caring about the elusive BBS because as much as I want a close shave, having a comfortable shave is slightly more important to me. I have a Joris razor, which is aggressive enough, so I don't look terrible if I only go WTG. I'm just tired of getting irritation, and luckily I don't need to be clean shaven for my job. But if I wanted to maintain a clean look, there is no way I could shave daily unless I only go WTG. Adding passes in any other direction would require at least a day off for my skin to get a break from the abuse.
Let me know how the 2 pass WTG works for you. I will be interested in knowing.

I've tried this but a second WTG pass never made any difference for me. I now just do a quick two pass shave up and down and call it a day.

How long have you been shaving with a DE? I used to be the exactly like this but after little bit I was able to add in more passes.

I have been wet shaving for most of my life. Started with a Williams soap puck in an old coffee mug with a cheap drugstore boar brush back around 1976...so it has been a while. Used mostly carts. Only used canned goo occasionally. Shaving was never really any fun...more of a necessary daily chore to be avoided if possible (not shaving on weekends, holidays, winter beards, etc.). Only started with DE a few months ago and now I am enjoying shaving tremendously. If you have been reading my other posts you can see I am having a great time experimenting with new soaps and creams. Even when I started I was never really concerned with achieving BBS...even now. A good clean neat shave was satisfactory. I appreciate that everyone comes to the mirror every morning with a different goal in mind...and this is the beauty of the shaving experience.

My motivation for posting this thread was to see if others had tried the 2 pass WTG and achieved success or satisfaction. Certainly it is not the way to get a BBS shave, but for me it achieves very good results, without irritation or bloodshed. I enjoy hearing other's experiences with this 2 pass WTG approach.

Two passes WTG gives me good results. It's by no means BBS, but the shave is so much more comfortable. Not everyone will be satisfied with the results, but it's a great way to reduce irritation. I think I'm going to stick to WTG passes for now, at least until I feel brave enough to try for a closer shave again. Today I tried three passes WTG, just for the heck of it. Got a CCS shave. I'll probably toss in XTG passes every so often on days when I want to look especially sharp.

Last edited:
Most mornings I do a 2 pass, 1 WTG, the second XTG above the jaw line and ATG on my neck. This has worked for me for years. If I have to look my best for an occasion I add a second WTG before my usual second pass.

I get as good a result with 2 N-S passes and a bit of touch-up under the nose and around the mouth as I do using any other scheme and the stubble 12 hours later is no worse.

Top Bottom