What's new

Wish Me Luck

I am finishing my traditional rotating internship and starting next Monday will begin my three years of anesthesiology residency. In terms of fellowships, I have ruled out pain management but am considering fellowships in critical care, cardiothoracic anesthesia, and/or transplant anesthesia.

MJB said:
Good luck--

As someone who has taken and fortunately passed similar tests, a few pieces of advice.

Don't study hard now--it's too late. Just a bit of easy review to build confidence, rent a movie tonight, go to bed early. Eat. Clean up in AM with a good shave (that always helps).

Do not bring study materials to test to look at in between test sessions. Waste of time. Relax during your down time. Performance is important. Unless I am wrong the test sections are 2 or 2.5 hours so focus will be hard enough.

Don't expect to know all the answers. If you know the answer--gravy--answer it and move on. If not eliminate as many choices as possible and your best guess is probably percentage wise good enough for you to pass. If you can eliminate all but two choices and make a best guess--consider that a success. If you know the answer and its option B, don't even read C,D,E--they're called distractors for a reason.

Don't try to second guess test writers, just answer the question with what you know to be right--don't think that "well A is right but I suspect they want me to answer C."

Do not skip questions just move on down the line. If you clueless, guess and move on.

Don't redo test with extra time. You'll probably change more correct answers than fix wrong ones and the extra rest time by turning the paper in early will result in better scores anyways.

Don't discuss correct answers or look things over right after the test--that's poor form.

Good luck, it's exhausting--especially the 6 to 12 week wait to get the darn score--they do that just to pour salt in the wounds.

MJB

Now why didnt the teachers in my time gave me this great advice id run thru almost any test with this attitude ! and yes I agree good luck are not the words I would like the express I mean I would hope a Doctor would diagnose medicine for me not based on luck but on his knowledge that it will help me.

I wish you lots of fun just showing them how much you know and enjoy about
medicine.

Top Bottom