What's new

Wisconsin in the Winter

We are moving to Madison this July. I’ve lived in Georgia for just about my whole life, so the winters are going to be an adventure!

I’m hoping to buy a bunch of cold weather gear at the end of this winter, trying to cash in on deep discounts.

What do I need? I am guessing I need a good parka, good winter boots, and good base layers. I’d love yalls input!

That will be quite a change in climate. I've noticed some discounts on gear already starting.

The hardest part for me to keep warm here in Minnesota is my hands, so good gloves and/or mittens are a must. For boots, I mostly just wear waterproof hiking boots with ultra heavy hiking socks, unless I plan to be out for many hours not being very active or if I'm going to be dealing with deep snow, in which case I'll break out the serious winter boots. You should also get long underwear, a good jacket/parka, and a warm hat.

The right gear can make a big difference. I have a medium weight jacket that I wear a lot, but it's nice to have something made for really cold temperatures, too. We're at 3° F right now and I was out in my heavier winter jacket that is rated to -25° and was quite comfortable. It's a bit bulky, but it sure is warm.

That will be quite a change in climate. I've noticed some discounts on gear already starting.

The hardest part for me to keep warm here in Minnesota is my hands, so good gloves and/or mittens are a must. For boots, I mostly just wear waterproof hiking boots with ultra heavy hiking socks, unless I plan to be out for many hours not being very active or if I'm going to be dealing with deep snow, in which case I'll break out the serious winter boots. You should also get long underwear, a good jacket/parka, and a warm hat.

The right gear can make a big difference. I have a medium weight jacket that I wear a lot, but it's nice to have something made for really cold temperatures, too. We're at 3° F right now and I was out in my heavier winter jacket that is rated to -25° and was quite comfortable. It's a bit bulky, but it sure is warm.
Any opinion on gloves/mittens? Woolen vs symthetic?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
these 1st two people are giving you good advice on how to keep warm in a cold state.

I don't live in Minnesota, but do live where single digits and sometimes below 0 degrees F come around every winter.

Say no to cotton.

I wear long poly pro underwear when it gets cold. I add fleece or flannel lined pants when it gets really cold.

In the winter, I wear Merino wool blend socks. The colder it gets, the more Merino wool percentage I wear.

Wear layers and learn what works for you.

Mittens will generally keep you warmer than gloves and I'm actually due for a new pair myself. I tend to lean towards leather with synthetic insulation, but wool is great, too.

I currently have a pair of knitted wool gloves that I'll often wear in temperatures of about 30°+ and when I know they won't get wet (e.g. going for a walk). Wool can be great if it has some sort of outer shell to keep it from getting wet (mine don't have that) and to keep the wind out. For colder weather or when I know they will be in contact with snow, I have a pair of leather Mountain Standard gloves that I love since they look good, are warm, and the leather stays very soft no matter how cold it gets. I also have a pair of synthetic Clam Ice Armor gloves that I've been pretty happy with that I use for shoveling/snow blowing (they're not going to win any fashion awards, but they're nice as a work glove). I really like Hestra mittens and gloves, but they're at a higher price point. Based on what I've tried on so far, I'll probably end up going with Hestra for the mittens that I need to get.

I live in Canada and it gets cold here.

Unless you are outside for extended periods of time a good parka or ski jacket, warm insulated boots, warm gloves/mitts and a winter hat (toque here) are all you really need IMO.

If you are skiing, walking the dog for miles or working outside, then I would add good long underwear for a base layer.

As mentioned above, merino wool is excellent and cotton is not great for extreme cold.

One more thing I'll add, my favorite winter socks are the Smartwool Mountaineering Extra Heavy Crew socks. I use them instead of slippers around the house (super cozy) and they're extremely warm when I wear them outside with my hiking boots. I got my wife hooked on these socks, too.

Adding to what SharpieB and ColtRevolver said about wool, merino wool is the best way to go so that it doesn't itch.

Overalls. Slightly over sized, so they are easy to get on and off. Snaps, or large zippers that won't clog with snow, so you can slip them on over your boots.
Base layers are good, but if you need to go in and out of buildings often you need something you can remove easily in order to not overheat while inside.

Merino wool base layers ($15 from Costco), upper and lowers are awesome.

Quality socks, but not thick ones. Make sure your toes have room to move and breathe.

Swany goose down mitts are my new favorite (again, mine were from Costco about $50). Mitts over gloves. Leather with wool are my next warmest. The snowmobile style with longer forearm portion are ok if you haven't will work with them.

Jacket...synthetic. I wear a North Face exo micro puffer that is thin. It is good for -30 or -2 with just a t-shirt.

I can easily go out for an hour at a time, walking with dog and not get cold.

My feet get the coldest as they are in constant contact with snow and ice. Exposed skin too, so keep that to a minimum.

To me, it's all about stopping the WIND . -30 with no wind isn't bad, -30 with a 20mph wind is unbearable.

Last edited:
Born and raised in the Great Lakes States. I live in the Milwaukee area.

- You'll want a VERY warm parka. Preferably one that has enough room for layering. I'm a big fan of LL Beans parkas.
- Wool socks of various weight and thickness. For those super cold days, a thick, heavy pair of socks can be a life-saver.
- Warm boots with GOOD TRACTION.
- Wool cap. Don't skimp.
- Wool neck Buff. Started using these last year and they make a world of difference. Great at keeping cold wind off your neck and face. Kind of like a balaclava only more versatile.
- Wool or synthetic base layers. Wool is great, but it's wool and you may not like the way it feels on your skin.
- Gloves AND mittens. Gloves for warmer days and heavy wool lined mittens for cold days. I buy military artic mittens at surplus stores.
- Grabber warmers for hands and feet if you plan on being outside for an extended period of time.

- Optional....rechargeable socks, gloves or coats. I have a couple friends that use battery heated coats and love them. They're a bit pricey though.

By the way... welcome to Wisconsin. Madison is a fun city with tons to do and a great culinary scene. BONUS, you have access to a great little shop on State Street that sells shaving products. Check out The Soap Opera when you get a chance. They don't have a huge selection of wet shaving gear, but enough to keep you happy.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Snow shovels, and maybe a snow blower. Antifreeze for your vehicles. De-icer of some sort for the locks. Keep an emergency kit in your cars with a blanket and water.

Of course - I made it through numerous Chicago winters with nothing more than a snow shovel, heavy coat, and boots. It just depends on how prepared you want to be.

Excellent advice from everyone. You'll adapt quickly. As a kid, I willingly and enthusiastically played in sub-zero temperatures, but now in my 60's I just whine about it... but I've earned that right.
Remember to layer; protect your hands and feet; they're the most vulnerable - mild frostbite on either will affect you for the rest of your life. My hands are super sensitive from a long ago frostbite episode during deer hunting.
You'll like Wisconsin. Get hooked on beers from New Glarus and stay inside if it gets too cold!

Mittens will generally keep you warmer than gloves and I'm actually due for a new pair myself. I tend to lean towards leather with synthetic insulation, but wool is great, too.

I currently have a pair of knitted wool gloves that I'll often wear in temperatures of about 30°+ and when I know they won't get wet (e.g. going for a walk). Wool can be great if it has some sort of outer shell to keep it from getting wet (mine don't have that) and to keep the wind out. For colder weather or when I know they will be in contact with snow, I have a pair of leather Mountain Standard gloves that I love since they look good, are warm, and the leather stays very soft no matter how cold it gets. I also have a pair of synthetic Clam Ice Armor gloves that I've been pretty happy with that I use for shoveling/snow blowing (they're not going to win any fashion awards, but they're nice as a work glove). I really like Hestra mittens and gloves, but they're at a higher price point. Based on what I've tried on so far, I'll probably end up going with Hestra for the mittens that I need to get.
Hestra Mittens look like the right answer. Buy once, cry once!

Merino wool base layers ($15 from Costco), upper and lowers are awesome.

Quality socks, but not thick ones. Make sure your toes have room to move and breathe.

Swany goose down mitts are my new favorite (again, mine were from Costco about $50). Mitts over gloves. Leather with wool are my next warmest. The snowmobile style with longer forearm portion are ok if you haven't will work with them.

Jacket...synthetic. I wear a North Face exo micro puffer that is thin. It is good for -30 or -2 with just a t-shirt.

I can easily go out for an hour at a time, walking with dog and not get cold.

My feet get the coldest as they are in constant contact with snow and ice. Exposed skin too, so keep that to a minimum.

To me, it's all about stopping the WIND . -30 with no wind isn't bad, -30 with a 20mph wind is unbearable.
Good to know that Costco has some deals. I hope they will be available down here in Georgia. If they are that cheap, normally, may just hold off till we get up there.

Born and raised in the Great Lakes States. I live in the Milwaukee area.

- You'll want a VERY warm parka. Preferably one that has enough room for layering. I'm a big fan of LL Beans parkas.
- Wool socks of various weight and thickness. For those super cold days, a thick, heavy pair of socks can be a life-saver.
- Warm boots with GOOD TRACTION.
- Wool cap. Don't skimp.
- Wool neck Buff. Started using these last year and they make a world of difference. Great at keeping cold wind off your neck and face. Kind of like a balaclava only more versatile.
- Wool or synthetic base layers. Wool is great, but it's wool and you may not like the way it feels on your skin.
- Gloves AND mittens. Gloves for warmer days and heavy wool lined mittens for cold days. I buy military artic mittens at surplus stores.
- Grabber warmers for hands and feet if you plan on being outside for an extended period of time.

- Optional....rechargeable socks, gloves or coats. I have a couple friends that use battery heated coats and love them. They're a bit pricey though.

By the way... welcome to Wisconsin. Madison is a fun city with tons to do and a great culinary scene. BONUS, you have access to a great little shop on State Street that sells shaving products. Check out The Soap Opera when you get a chance. They don't have a huge selection of wet shaving gear, but enough to keep you happy.
We can't wait to explore Madison. We came up for a weekend at the end of November just to take a peak and see if it was really something we could handle. The city was the perfect size for us and had lots of neat offerings. Pretty excited!

Excellent help, y'all! lots of great advice and it's nice to see the running theme of base layers as well as pay for more expensive stuff. We will be there a minimum of three years, so I feel like a good downpayment on clothing now will pay off.

Good to know that Costco has some deals. I hope they will be available down here in Georgia. If they are that cheap, normally, may just hold off till we get up there.
They have the merino wood blend quarter Up top base layers and long johns up here often. They are usually around $20 but often go on clearance for $10-15. They also have a decent selection of mitts. I was hesitant to buy my Swany mitts as I didn't know anything about them and $50 was a lot for me....but they have been the best mitts I have ever owned.

Good luck and hopefully your colder state Costco will carry some good stuff. I've even seen electric heater socks at ours. Your charge them up and they are good for. Few hours.

As mentioned, REI is fantastic too. We have MEC (recently bought out). They will be able to help and you can try it on too. They may even stand behind their suggestions in terms of returns if stuff ends up not working out in terms of cold or fit, MEC does.

We are sitting at -20f to -30f the next couple days, before wind-chill. I went out on 3 walks today and I was fine. You'll get used to it and learn to adapt. When it gets this cold, the trails and forest are empty, it's awesome!

Top Bottom