What's new

winter coat recommendations needed

I'm looking to buy a new winter coat, well, because my current parka sucks and does a poor job at keeping me warm in the brutal Minnesota winters. I'd like to get a down jacket of some kind and so far all i've come up with are a couple of coats by North Face. I'd like to keep the cost to $250 or less. The North Face Gotham jacket looks pretty cool, but i'm open to other companies so long as they're proven to withstand cold winters. Any opinions?

LL Bean makes some nice ones. I got one for my wife that she absolutely loves. Hers isn't full length but it does go mid-thigh. It keeps her warm enough for the south dakota winters! :)

There are also lots of reviews out and about. You can google 'Down coat less than $250' and find a lot of them.

Goodness, it's too early for this conversation! :001_rolle

LL Bean was my vendor of choice when I wanted down coats. These days, layering a leather jacket and a wool sweater suffices (not outside as long).

I'm needing a new down jacket also. I have no idea how much I am going to need to be outside shoveling the silly white stuff, but there is a chill in the air already so I figure I have two months before it gets cold. Three before we get the white stuff. My wool 3/4 length dress coat does ok. My OLD Land's End cheapie jacket that I've had for 14 years is losing its fluff but will suffice if I need it to. Santa may be nice and get me one too...

I check out a lot of bargain gear sites like Sierra Trading Post, Overstock.com, Campmor, etc. You may surprise yourself, especially if you were a small or XXL or something. Since I'm a Large I'm not as lucky on a lot of the sites.

I got an awesome Mountain Hardware down parka for $110 last fall. Does a great job keeping me warm in NW Indiana as well as the mountains here in NC.

Find an Arc'Teryx synthetic coat and never look back. Mine kept me toasty for years while I was in Boston (Statistically the windiest city in America). Its never let me down and doesn't show any sign or quitting on me anytime soon.

I picked up an LL Bean mid thigh parka on sale from their website for about $120. It is down filled and rated to -30'F. Darn thing is so warm I never more than half zip it. However your winters in Minn are a little colder than my winters near Pittsburgh.

my winter coat consists of a long sleeved shirt.
when i moved from upstate NY to Florida, i threw out my ice scraper and giant columbia winter jacket.

It's 107F on my front porch! My neighbors are lucky I'm wearing anything! Really lucky, I'm not a good looking man :lol:

I have this nasty, dirty looking bright orange down coat from Lands End that I wore for years working outdoors. I'm not in Minn, but it kept me plenty warm during cold, snowy winters in NJ. I said I was going to toss it when I retired but last year I waited too long and couldn't find one I liked. I'm following this thread because I really need a new one before it gets cold and the good ones are sold out. Otherwise, I'll have to get an empty coffee cup and walk down the street asking for loose change.

It's a little out of your budget but I would look for a slightly used Belstaff waxed cotton jacket. Your winters are more severe then mine in jersey but I had to actually take the lining out because I get to warm in it. Not to mention it blocks all the wind and looks great when its fitted correctly

Top Bottom