What's new

Williams Mug Soap Grating Test (Pic heavy)

OK, we've all seen so much about this soap and how it's basically a "love / hate" relationship. Because I've found grating and pressing into a bowl somehow changes the "lathering" characteristics, specifically, how the brush picks up the soap, I thought I'd give it a try.

Note, I haven't used Williams with a decent brush before so I'm going in blind, except for the opinions of others, and don't have anything to compare it to.

This morning I picked up 3 pucks at a grocery store for the meager cost of $1.39 each. Below you'll see the "tools" I used for this:

proxy.php

Here's 1 puck grated and partially in the bowl, and below that, rest in the bowl and pressed with my Espresso tamper (covered with 1/2 a sandwich baggie):

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see that the 1 puck pressed left plenty of room in the container for the other 2 pucks.

Off to the bathroom where I wet the top of the soap cake and soaked the EJ brush (Best Badger, I selected that one only because it was the next in the rotation):

proxy.php

I swirled the brush for maybe 20 seconds:

proxy.php

And then added a little water to whip up what I hoped would be a good lather:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lathered up on my hand a little, and you can probably tell it's a little watery:

proxy.php

It is, however, very slick feeling on my hand and between my fingers. The smell is wonderful too. Not overpowering, just a nice "old time" scent. I think tomorrow morning I'll try this "face lathering" and see how it works out. From this one test, it seems to be quite reactive to a little water added to the lather in the bowl, and I do find it easier to control how "wet" the lather is when face lathering with other soaps.

All in all, I consider this enough of a success that I'm going to grate the other 2 pucks and add it in.

For those of you familiar with William's, it has the "Mug" pressed into the top of the puck. When I grated it I left a little round part showing that impression, and placed that in the bottom, logo down and pressed the soap on top of that. It doesn't really show up well in this picture because of the glass and the name formed across the glass, but to hold it up to the eye, the mug logo stands out clear. Nice little touch that I don't have to label this.

proxy.php

I'll report back tomorrow after I face lather with this.

I can get a ton of lather with Williams if I use a stiffer brush and also the amount of water makes a big difference. The synthetic bristles on my "inherited" brush (was my grandfathers), while not the most pleasant feeling on the face, works up a mean lather!

I found the following formula works great for me.

Mug+Semogue 1305+water soak+30 seconds of brushwork= awesome lather of the rabid dogs.

I grated a puck once just to see but found it really didn't make a discernable difference. after some experimenting I've found the brush makes all the difference.

oh yeah, in before Michiganlover

Thats the box I've always used as well, probably Canadian specific because its English/French due to our language laws up here. Packages must be in both official languages.

HAHA, i saw this at sobeys today, sniffed it and thought sure why not
will be trying in the morning, or maybe even before work tonight

oh yeah, in before Michiganlover

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am not sure what I can say about Williams that I haven't already said about a million times, but for the record:

In my opinion (and your millage may very...:laugh::laugh:), the current formulation is one of the worst soaps available, and is most at home in the bottom of your trash can.

However, if the product can be made to work at all, I am sure the results would be superior with a boar brush. :tongue_sm

I have not tried grating it myself, but I don't think I will bother, as I have enough of the Vintage Williams goodness accumulated to last me for probably a good five to ten years!!

Last edited:
Michiganlover should to a picture tutorial of the real way to use it.

But then he'd have to buy a puck to take a pic of himself throwing it in the garbage. :lol:

Glad to hear the milling worked out, I may try that sometime but am content with the lather I get from it now.

But then he'd have to buy a puck to take a pic of himself throwing it in the garbage. :lol:

While it would amuse me to make such a thread, I am pretty sure I would get a reprimand from the Mod Team for doing so. So while it would be amusing, it wouldn't be worth it. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
The method I've found that works best is to grate some Williams directly into a blender, add a touch of glycerine, and the appropriate amount of water. Set the blender to "whip" and turn it on. You will immediately see the foamy goodness begin to form...

While waiting for the blender to do it's thing, go up to the bathroom, grab your brush, and whip up some Tabac and have an enjoyable shave. After applying AS of choice, go back to the blender, shut it off, and take the frothy, bubbly container out into the back yard. The citronella aroma will keep the skeeters away for days.

Top Bottom