What's new

Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence (WISE)

A93EC393-253C-46D4-AC2A-327F59B8AFBE.jpeg
Remaining in the boar brush after first pass

I haven't posted here in a long time. I had to take a little money saving break. But I'm still rocking the Williams, modern or vintage. Because I'm wise. Keep rocking WISEmen.

15 - 1.jpg

Well, I think it is time that I ask to be a member of the WISE club.

Just sticking with the basics today...

Hot Towel
Williams Mug Shaving Soap (got a really good lather quickly...don't know what is with all the negative fuss)
Omega 98 Boar
Ever Ready 1912
Gem PTFE
Cold Water
Alum Block
Aloe Vera (cut straight from my plant and applied to my face and neck).

William's Shave Soap SOTD.JPG

Hoping to join in the W I S E club. Have been using nothing but Williams since I've started shaving almost 50 yrs. ago. Bought a dozen Pucks about a year ago and haven't made a dent in them yet. Hope to be able to start posting some pics soon. Can't compete with these window displays I see all over B&B tho.:001_smile

Is there a way to date when your vintage puck of Williams Soap Mug was made?

I have four. One has the SPECIAL OFFER for the pewter mug honoring the 200th Anniversary of America. So I'm putting that around 1976. It also has the ingredients listed on the side of the box. None of the others do, so I'm thinking they are older. All have the Cranford NJ distribution address. Two have the Net weight on the front of the box, under the logo and words, "mug shaving soap" while two do not. The net weight on those is on the end flaps.

Is there a way to date when your vintage puck of Williams Soap Mug was made?

I have four. One has the SPECIAL OFFER for the pewter mug honoring the 200th Anniversary of America. So I'm putting that around 1976. It also has the ingredients listed on the side of the box. None of the others do, so I'm thinking they are older. All have the Cranford NJ distribution address. Two have the Net weight on the front of the box, under the logo and words, "mug shaving soap" while two do not. The net weight on those is on the end flaps.
From what i’ve Heard if there’s no bar code on the box it’s before the 80’s and there is also the one’s from the Beecham era(if i’m Not mistaken would be from the end of the 80’s till debut 2000. I think when Combe take over they change the soap, but I could be mistaken.

A puck of Williams lasts me about 5 months of daily shaving. I put the left-over lather on the puck, it stays hydrated and soft that way, and lathers up instantly next day.

It will be a while before I get back to it though, as I need to use up some other soaps first, and it appears that I won't get than done until late next fall or winter.

No, but it’s the same formula as vintage Williams.
From what i’ve Heard there similarity but no it’s not the same formula. I have few pucks of vintage Williams and the soap is great, I think you can still found some on EBay and sometimes on Etsy. To my personal experience vintage Williams worth buying it, I use it myself once a month on Williams Wednesday on the first Wednesday of the month. Gino

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m vintage myself and have used Williams off and in since the mid 60s. I don’t recall it ever being much different than it is now. It certainly wasn’t the quality shoap Connecticut Yankee reviews indicate. It was cheap and it just worked - like Ivory soap. The best shave soap I ever found in a drugstore was Palmolive cream. It came in brushable and non-brushable. Williams, Colgate and Old Spice were similar with different scents. There were likely others not carried in pharmacies. It is usual to wax nostalgic and remember things being better than they are now. However, food definitely was. We’re very lucky to have access to the quality soaps we have today. Williams was a decent soap then and is a decent now but it was never a great soap compared to offerings available now.

thanks for posting that Connecticut Yankee soap, once the sabbatical is over and I burn through the rest of the three soaps I have, this one might be a strong consideration.

I've been really digging my ARKO lately and I can't get over how great it is for the price! I know this is a williams thread and all, but between the two I'll take the ARKO any day of the week! I'm not blessed to be one of the WISEmen

thanks for posting that Connecticut Yankee soap, once the sabbatical is over and I burn through the rest of the three soaps I have, this one might be a strong consideration.

I've been really digging my ARKO lately and I can't get over how great it is for the price! I know this is a williams thread and all, but between the two I'll take the ARKO any day of the week! I'm not blessed to be one of the WISEmen
There’s no doubt Arko is a good soap but when you get Williams right to me it’s way better then Arko. To my personal experience I only had one puck of modern Williams who gave trouble, has for the rest it was all good shaves. But it’s a forum and we all have different opinions and it’s ok and it’s suppose to be that way, the great thing about all that is to share our experience so others can decided what’s works the best for them. Me I like Williams so much but I do respect others who don’t. Gino

Top Bottom