What's new

Will using a stainless steel handle with a zamak head strip the threads on the head?

Well, the title asks the question. Any thoughts or experience on this? I recently bought a couple of Razorock handles with actual knurling to use with my DE86 head, but wondered if this will strip the threads on the post of the head over time?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Always wipe the head and threads after use.
Keep the handle / threads lightly lubed ..
Long as you do go all gorilla on it and drop it....
You are all set...for quite awhile...
BFX
I use a very small amount of anti-seize compound... Loctite makes good ones.... I use Park from the Park Tools because it comes in smaller quantities for less money. Bicycle frames often added parts that aren't in the frame's metals... esp. titanium... Just a little dad 'll do you. I doubt galling is a huge problem but if you have a razor head with different threads than the handle, it could very well happen over time, esp. if you aren't breaking down every razor and some of them sit around on that dissimilar metal handle.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This isn't something you have to do often..... I applied it to all my razors using my Ti Crown handles at the very beginning.... and a year later, I think.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've had zamak razor heads with stainless steel handles on them for around 3 years with no problem. As said above just don't go nuts when snugging them up and you should be fine.

I have been using a DE89 with an iKon Bulldog stainless handle for more then 13 years. The last 7 or so years being daily shaves with, pretty much, the same razor. I do take the razor apart after every shave and clean it. Assuming the chrome plating on the Zamak is intact, no worries there. Chrome is much harder than stainless.
Like others said, do not overtighten or drop the razor.

Inspect the threads of the handle for defects.

Top Bottom