What's new

Will Mergress XL handle fit Merkur 37c slant razor? Or get Muhle r41 instead?

Hello,

I'm fairly new with wet shaving since I've only used hair trimmers for the last 5 years and disposable cartridges prior. I've found this forum to be an exceptional resource. Thank you to all those who have paved my way into the world of wet-shaving.

Over the last 6 months, I have owned and given away the Parker 29L and Merkur 38c safety razors to my nephews. I currently own the Mergress XL adjustable safety razor and love the handle. While my Merkur 39c sledgehammer handle is nicer than the 37c, I would prefer the Mergress XL handle on the Merkur Slant razor instead. I also own a Feather SS Folding Handle Razor that's always used for sideburns, but I've been using this more frequently for 3-pass shaves. I've tried approximately 14 blades and have settled on Personna Med Prep and Feather ProGuard for DE and SR razors respectively; however, Kai DE and Feather Professional blades may see occasional use in the near future.

My dilemma is that I can shave quicker and better with the Merkur 39c (20-25 minutes via 39c vs. 25-30 minutes via Mergress XL vs. 20-40 minutes via Feather disposable straight-razor), but I would like to be even quicker. I've found that the Mergress XL provides a better grip when shaving ATG -- while both long handles have been great for WTG and XTG shaves.

With my current technique/skill, only 3-pass shaves are acceptable to me; occasional 2-pass shaves via the Feather shavette is okay when in a hurry (15-20 minutes). Even my Mach3 cartridge razor requires a daily 15-20 minutes for a decent shave; double-edge/straight-razor shaving only requires a shave every other day. The Parker 29L and Merkur 38c would not give a decent shave with Derby, Kai, nor Feather blades..

Due to great success with the 39c slant, I had also hoped to purchase a Muhle r41 (with a different handle) to see how this might work for me.

Therefore, short of purchasing the shorter handle Merkur 37c, has anyone tried installing the Mergress XL handle onto the Merkur 37c or the Mergress Long Handle onto the Merkur 39c? I would love to know if the handles are interchangeable. Thanks.

-thang d.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No. Buy another razor, those aren't going to interchange. :thumbdown

You can revisit them later.

Unfortunately, you cannot switch handle on a Merkur 37C. They are a Dual-piece razor... you need a 3 piece razor to have access to some after market handles! The R41 is a 3piece so you can use an after market handle and screw it to the head!

Unfortunately, you cannot switch handle on a Merkur 37C. They are a Dual-piece razor... you need a 3 piece razor to have access to some after market handles! The R41 is a 3piece so you can use an after market handle and screw it to the head!
Respectfully, I'd like to swap handles between Merkur 37c and Mergress XL (Merkur Progress Standard)...

http://s1.up.picr.de/3633410.jpg

Those are some seriously long shaves, if they take you 30-40 minutes.
Have I mentioned that I've been out of practice? :)

I think he was talking about the adjustment knob of a Mergress replacing the knob on the 37c handle. The 37c handle is fixed to the bottom plate and not a separate piece. The difference between a 2 piece DE and a 3 piece DE.

Bob
My apologies. You are correct. I'd like to swap the Merkur 37c knob since I like the larger and longer knob from the Merkur XL.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sure, swapping the knob is possible if that's what you want. The numbers won't make any sense. :001_huh:

$Franken-merkur.jpg

Sure, swapping the knob is possible if that's what you want. The numbers won't make any sense. :001_huh:
This is really great news. I'm not terribly concerned about the numbers since it'll be a functional piece; especially, I'd if feels right. The Mergress XL handle looks much better though.

I happened to come across a very inexpensive Mergress XL just as I purchased a new one; so, I'll put the spare knob to use. If it doesn't feel right, then I might just purchase the Muhle R41 instead. Although, the ATT open comb slant seems very interesting.

http://i37.tinypic.com/3485c7a.jpg

Last edited:
Respectfully, I'd like to swap handles between Merkur 37c and Mergress XL (Merkur Progress Standard)...

http://s1.up.picr.de/3633410.jpg

Have I mentioned that I've been out of practice? :)

My apologies. You are correct. I'd like to swap the Merkur 37c knob since I like the larger and longer knob from the Merkur XL.

Oh! I failed hard on that one lol! Sorry my cofee was not strong enough this morning... :p

Oh! I failed hard on that one lol! Sorry my cofee was not strong enough this morning... :p
No worries. I'm sure many people never considered swapping Merkur knobs..

I'd much rather have an aftermarket knob similar to the Mergress XL that matches Merkur Slant design. Just love the way the Mergress knob works for ATG shaving.

That handle will fit quite a few of the fat handle razors.
Right on! What a great fit on all your razors. Maybe I'm the only clumsy one, but the Merkur Progress knob sure makes ATG grip more comfortable on heavy razors.

Top Bottom