What's new

Will a five o'clock shadow show up sooner with a safety razor?

I've heard that cartridge razors pull up on the hair and cut it, where as a safety razor cuts flush on the skin. I just ordered my first DE safety razor (it will arrive in two days), but I was thinking that a five o'clock shadow would come on quicker with a safety razor because the hair is not being pulled up and cut. Is this the case?

I have 5 o'clock shadow even when applying my aftershave, after the best BBS I had in my life, so it depends on your hair and your skin, but I don't think it would be razor dependant. I had that problem with both of them.

I find that it makes no difference in the long run. I adjust my technique to match the razor genre I’m using at the time.

I’ve used DE for years but the shave is the same with a cart.

I have found as I’ve gotten older though that I PREFER carts not for the result but because the experience is smoother and therefore more enjoyable.

I wouldn’t have said the 12 months ago. I vary between gamechanger.84 and Mach3. Sometimes both on the same shave.

Hey, what works for you is right for you

You can get just as close with a DE razor, but it usually requires several passes. It may take two passes + touch-ups or three passes + touch-ups. That makes the DE shave take a bit longer, but it is still quick with some practice. Getting a very close shave with a DE takes a little more technique than cartridge razors do.

Many people find the DE shave is less prone to problem with ingrown hairs.

Last edited:
One reason I quit cartridge razors is that this action of cutting below skin level gave me more ingrown hairs. With a single blade, I never get one anymore.

As noted, shadow is really dependent on your beard. Before mine turned gray, I often had to shave again if we were going out in the evening.

I can get a very good shave with a Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel but a better ( closer,
less irritating ) shave with a DE. IMHO the razor is only partly responsible for the shave, - Blade/cart choice, prep, lather, technique all determine in varying degrees the shave you get.

No five o’clock shadow since my beard turned gray!

The reasons I prefer ‘traditional’ wet shaving are because my skin is better and I get fewer ingrown hairs than in my cart days. But mostly, I enjoy my shaves much more than I did in the bad, old days!!

:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I already have 5 O'clock shadow right after a cartridge shave, but with a safety razor I get it around 2PM. I have a very dark and course beard (although the chin has been getting white..).

When you get a 5 o'clock shadow is totally dependent upon the razor, your technique and to some extent the blade you choose.
I can get a BBS with nearly any razor with enough passes, skin stretching, attention to detail and additional time. Even with what feels like a BBS, the time difference to my 5 o'clock shadow is between 12 hours and up to 24 hours! For me, the blade and razor will make a huge difference, even though my technique and process is essentially the same. As you improve your technique over time, you can shave with more aggressive razors which should improve the "actual" closeness of your shave. The "actual" closeness is something which you may or may not be able to feel with your fingers or hear with a credit card test. The bottom line is this: As your technique improves over time, you should get better results with the same razor. If you want even better results, you will need to change to a more aggressive razor. Have fun and enjoy the learning process. Happy DE shaving.

No five o’clock shadow since my beard turned gray!

The reasons I prefer ‘traditional’ wet shaving are because my skin is better and I get fewer ingrown hairs than in my cart days. But mostly, I enjoy my shaves much more than I did in the bad, old days!!

:thumbup1: :thumbup1:
I'm in 100% agreement. Well said, sir!

I've heard that cartridge razors pull up on the hair and cut it, where as a safety razor cuts flush on the skin. I just ordered my first DE safety razor (it will arrive in two days), but I was thinking that a five o'clock shadow would come on quicker with a safety razor because the hair is not being pulled up and cut. Is this the case?
I can do a three pass shave and not need to shave the next day.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I think the thing for me when wet shaving weather its a half de shavette or a DE razor is the enjoyment. Yes I get better shaves absolutely with these rather than carts. But now my shave time is something I really enjoy and is very relaxing. Its my own private time and now my shave time is something to really look forward to instead of just one more thing I have to do. Happy shave sir

Welcome to B&B.
...but I was thinking that a five o'clock shadow would come on quicker with a safety razor because the hair is not being pulled up and cut. Is this the case?
I get a closer shave with the DE than I achieved with the cartridge. Good technique with the DE is the aim and you need a multi-pass shave..

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Shaving regularly with a de made my skin feel much better than cart shaving and probably better for overall skin health and for acne issues. With no increase of 5 o’clock shadow. I believe I get a smoother and closer shave with a de blade too.

Welcome to B&B.

I get a closer shave with the DE than I achieved with the cartridge. Good technique with the DE is the aim and you need a multi-pass shave..
This.

I used to do one pass and done with cartridge razors, and I had a lot of stubble by the next morning.
With old-school shaving my technique and focus is much better and my shave actually lasts longer.

Top Bottom