What's new

Wild Caught Rubberset 400 & Bakelite Ever-Ready!

I got off work a little early today and my family is out of town so i decided to hit up one of my local haunts for shaving gear.

I've pulled some awesome stuff out of this place before but I haven't been there in about 6 months.

After about an hour looking, I was about to leave and I noticed a new booth that hasn't been there. I looked in one of their cases and there it was! The Holy Grail of brushes!

I didn't want to leave to get somebody to open up the case for me for fear it may disappear in that amount of time it took me to walk to the front!

Anyway, when I got in the case, I noticed another brush I've been searching for, the Ever-Ready 500 badger/bristle. Then, low and behold, an awesome Made-Rite 400 PB!

The Ever-Ready 100t and the Rubberset 103 are ones i already had but figured they go well in the pic.

Either way, I'm glad I stopped in to that little antique store this afternoon and I can't hardly wait to restore these beauties!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Amazing. Just amazing

Thanks for bragging.... Errrr... sharing :)
So... Yeah I MAY be bragging! I'm just super stoked to grab that 400! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. When I was checking out, I told the lady that I've been looking for one of these for years and that 20 bucks was a steal! She looked kind of confused like "this crap is worth money" lol.

So... Yeah I MAY be bragging! I'm just super stoked to grab that 400! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. When I was checking out, I told the lady that I've been looking for one of these for years and that 20 bucks was a steal! She looked kind of confused like "this crap is worth money" lol.

It's not bragging when you are excited about finding something fantastic.

When I ask about shaving goods I'm always told "we throw that junk away"

Last shaving item I was able to buy was an early NOS Simpsons keyhole... quite a score but that was 6 or more years ago.

proxy.php

Wow! That’s terrific. The stores in my area never seem to have anything, at least not when I go.

I got off work a little early today and my family is out of town so i decided to hit up one of my local haunts for shaving gear.

I've pulled some awesome stuff out of this place before but I haven't been there in about 6 months.

After about an hour looking, I was about to leave and I noticed a new booth that hasn't been there. I looked in one of their cases and there it was! The Holy Grail of brushes!

I didn't want to leave to get somebody to open up the case for me for fear it may disappear in that amount of time it took me to walk to the front!

Anyway, when I got in the case, I noticed another brush I've been searching for, the Ever-Ready 500 badger/bristle. Then, low and behold, an awesome Made-Rite 400 PB!

The Ever-Ready 100t and the Rubberset 103 are ones i already had but figured they go well in the pic.

Either way, I'm glad I stopped in to that little antique store this afternoon and I can't hardly wait to restore these beauties!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Congrats as they clean up nicely. Tips can be found here The Rubberset 400 Club
IMG_20180219_113331109.jpg

Stunning!
It's not bragging when you are excited about finding something fantastic.

When I ask about shaving goods I'm always told "we throw that junk away"

Last shaving item I was able to buy was an early NOS Simpsons keyhole... quite a score but that was 6 or more years ago.

proxy.php

Man that's awesome! I love your decision to go synthetic with it. I use synths 99% off the time but I'm SO close to pulling the trigger on a high end badger. I've been looking for something worthy enough to drop some dough on a knot.

Set with silicone to easily change if wanted. They used to have spare ferrels available to change out brush knots easily but I missed them at PAA.

I do have a question. Do all of the 400s come apart? I see some that are taken apart and some not and I was wondering if they ALL screw together.

Set with silicone to easily change if wanted. They used to have spare ferrels available to change out brush knots easily but I missed them at PAA.
I saw those a while back at paa along with their version of the brush but it seems like they sold out of those as quickly as they got em!

I do have a question. Do all of the 400s come apart? I see some that are taken apart and some not and I was wondering if they ALL screw together.

Nevermind. I finally got this little guy apart. I ended up steaming this thing for an hour before it finally gave up! I guess 70 years of shaving gunk boogers up threads really good!

Congratulations, I’ve been lucky enough to find two in the wild, and had a third one disappear right under my nose.... Unfortunately I no longer own any of them, I chose to sell them off for big profits on the auction site so I could find my RAD addiction. Too bad I didn’t know at the time I had a brush acquisition disorder brewing in the back of my mind. You are a lucky guy today, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't resist! I had to start working on this beauty right away. Instead of sanding it down and putting a mirror finish on it, I decided to leave as much of the original character as I could. It seemed almost sacrilegious to get rid of all the brushe's history. I just removed the knot (which was A PITA!) and put a light polish on it.

Now, I may or may not have placed an order to Nathan Clark 's website at midnight after a few rounds! I guess a new premium silvertip is in this girl's near future!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Got my knots in from Nathan Clark... Finished up the two rare birds! I'm super excited with how they BOTH turned out. I especially like how the green bakelite has a sort of brown patina to it. I'm not sure how common this ER is but I'm having a tough time finding one just like it. Overall, I'm one happy camper!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I dunno. I don't get the appeal of the 400.
I'd get more excited over the knot-less black and white handle on the right. What's that one called?

[edit] Never mind. Ever-Ready 100T, if Google serves me right.

Last edited:
I dunno. I don't get the appeal of the 400.
I'd get more excited over the knot-less black and white handle on the right. What's that one called?
That's an Ever Ready 100t that I'm restoring. I love it too! I think it's going to get a semogue transplant when I get ready to knot it

Top Bottom