What's new

Wife Not Happy-Left Town and Left A Note

Green light to spend money on shaving goodies?!?!? :001_smile :thumbup: :001_smile

Go to town. And take her with you. Have some fun with the ladies at the perf cologne counter while you're there. Find something you both like. Don't forget to take care of her for letting you indulge.

Caron Third Man, Caron Yatagan, Guerlain Jicky EDT, Guerlain Vetiver, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme EDT, YSL M7, Davidoff Cool Water EDT,
Creed Green Irish Tweed, Comme des Garcons Series 3 Avignon,
Czech & Speake No. 88

Nice!

Note that if you end up liking the Creed, it will put "don't worry about the cost" to the test! :lol:

Pappy,

I say samples, samples, samples.
You can buy some samples (as you have).
Some of the excellent houses including Penhaligon's, L'Artisan, Dyptique, Floris, C&S, Truefitt & Hill, and Trumpers to name a few are either generous with samples or have sample kits for nominal fees or postage.

From dept stores and Sephora you can sample a bunch more and Neimann Marcus has Creed and those samples can sometimes be generous.

I'd strongly suggest a sample of Terre D'Hermes (I think I got some at Nordstroms and I've seen it at Sephora). It's a great fresh scent and I would think it has fairly broad appeal).

Once you and your wife figure out what kinds of things you like, you can hone it down more.

For example, my wife & I like vetivers a lot (Floris helped me figure this out). Once I figured this out, I was able to buy some samples and decants of different vetivers. I also figured out that I like sandalwood and cedar, etc.

Keep in mind that a 100 ml bottle of cologne will last a really long time (I'd guess well over a year if you wore it every day. So, if you find a few that you love, even if they're high-end, it's doable.

Finally, unless I'm sure I love a scent (or it's cheap) I don't buy a bottle unless I've acquired a sample and worn it many times and still think it's great.
One exception was Racine (MPG) which I bought here for $65. It came with an extremely high recommendation from Rorschuck who new my tastes and I love it.

Have fun!!!

Caron Third Man, Caron Yatagan, Guerlain Jicky EDT, Guerlain Vetiver, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme EDT, YSL M7, Davidoff Cool Water EDT, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Comme des Garcons Series 3 Avignon, Czech & Speake No. 88

Very interesting selection. Keep us posted. Jicky, huh? I'd love to hear what she thinks of that.

Interesting that she likes Chrome. That's kind of a modern, light citrus/woody scent, and certainly the anthesis of Clubman, Tabac style scents.

Sounds like some interesting stuff. I agree that the Jicky is a wild card in the collection, but a good one. Maybe let it settle down for a while before you let her smell it. Or work up to it by wearing the 3rd Man for a while before you try it.

C&S 88 and CdG Avignon are pretty cool too. They're supposed to be among Morrissey's favorites--but he's getting to be an old guy too, I guess.

both my father and my grandfather used the normal azzaro, my mom told me litarly "dont bring that c**p in to the house" after my parents divoce,

anyways, its a tricky situation becuase on one side, it has to be something she likes, on the other hand, it has to be something that reflects how you feel and how you are, very personal,

i found myself abusing my reserves of floris elite latley, it has that 80´s executive spice wuth without the dirty money and cheap musk,

i suggest you order some samples from floris, penhaligons, and maybe stop by a sephora next time you´re in town, or some other store that offers samples,

or in the worst case, wear lilac vegetal for a week and then go back to the old spice, i suspect she will find it largly improved,

btw, with all the talk about that garbage juice in a bottle, i might pick up a bottle just to expiriance it first hand,

OP here again...

Here's a thought:

I have 10 sample vials coming from Perfumedcourt. I'm not familiar with any of the scents other than what has been recommended by a few folks here. My wife may or may not be familiar with the names/scents either. For example, I have never smelled Creed Green Irish Tweed but I am expecting it to be "awesome" based on recommendations where, in fact, I may not like it at all.

Just for fun I may have one of my teens label each vial #1 through #10, etc, and keep a master list of what is what. Maybe add in a couple of vials of, oh, how about Old Spice and Pinuad Clubman AS? :w00t:

Only the teen would know what was actually being used. Keep a few notes regarding each scent. Declare a few winners after a good use trial.

I know that is WAY overthinking this whole deal but it might be fun!

Last edited:
both my father and my grandfather used the normal azzaro, my mom told me litarly "dont bring that c**p in to the house" after my parents divoce,
8<

I remember the original Azzaro as a good one but when I picked a bottle of Eau Sauvage and Aramis I got 4 samples of Azzaro stuff. (Silver Back, Now, Elixir and Chrome Legend)
To my nose all synthetic crap.

Here's a thought:

I have 10 sample vials coming from Perfumedcourt. I'm not familiar with any of the scents other than what has been recommended by a few folks here. My wife may or may not be familiar with the names/scents either. For example, I have never smelled Creed Green Irish Tweed but I am expecting it to be "awesome" based on recommendations where, in fact, I may not like it at all.

Just for fun I may have one of my teens label each vial #1 through #10, etc, and keep a master list of what is what. Maybe add in a couple of vials of, oh, how about Old Spice and Pinuad Clubman AS? :w00t:

Only the teen would know what was actually being used. Keep a few notes regarding each scent. Declare a few winners after a good use trial.

I know that is WAY overthinking this whole deal but it might be fun!

That's a great idea! You can make your decision without the baggage of preconceived notions.

Oh, and you've only been here since February. Trust me, you're a novice at over thinking this stuff!:lol:

....I know that is WAY overthinking this whole deal but it might be fun!

...Trust me, you're a novice at over thinking this stuff!:lol:

I think your "blind test" is a great idea!

And yes, saying we are "overthinking" shaving stuff and frags is kind of like saying we don't have a reason to exist!

Just a couple of observations. I'm glad there haven't been a lot of "wear what you want, your wife will just have to deal with it" responses to your post. My wife has let me know what scents she likes, and what scents she doesn't like. Sadly, some she doesn't like are ones that I do. But recently, probably because I'm more aware of this, I've noticed several times when I've been close to someone else wearing a scent that I didn't care for, and I was glad to move away from them. It made me appreciate my wife's perspective - I don't want her to not want to be near me! Fortunately, there are so many scents to choose from, it's not difficult to find some you can both agree on.

Also, you've been given many excellent suggestions for scents to try in this thread, and you've selected a great sample set. But keep in mind, that every scent has those who love it, and those who hate it. Doesn't mean it's "good" or "bad" (except LV, of course - it's always bad! :001_tongu), it's just personal preference. That will apply to both you and your wife.

Good luck on finding scents you both can enjoy. And congratulations on showing her the love!

Have you tried Old Spice Signature? Very reasonable and very nice smelling. If this doesn't work, try chocolate or vanilla flavoring.

Hint: This one is not about the scent. It's about the spouse.
proxy.php

I sometimes forget just how funny Chevy Chase is.

Anyway, my wife doesn't like regular Clubman. It reminds her of Brut and she doesn't like Brut. She says it smells like an old man. I like the barber shop scents. She doesn't. She did suggest that I wear Clubman every day at work, to keep other women away.
She likes OS and AV, which is good since I do, too. She also likes Aramis, which I sometimes tolerate. I like it, just not a lot.
If I ever need to get away from her for some me time(without her complaining about it), all I have to to is put on some Clubman. She'll beg me to leave, then.
She wasn't crazy about the Master Bay Rum I picked up yesterday either, until I put some on after shaving today. She likes it a lot better on me than in the bottle.
Good thing she likes AV. She'd be SOL if she didn't. It's my favorite AS. It feels better than any other I've tried, especially in warm/hot weather.
She wants me to get some British Sterling. I haven't worn that in a couple of decades, since I ran out. Good thing I like it, or I'd be SOL.
I don't mind compromise, but I did not hand my gonads over to her just because I married her.
I don't like every perfume that she does. She doesn't like every AS/cologne that I do. We can compromise because we're a team. That, and I'd rather be single than to be PW, and she knows it. I was happy before I met her, and I can be happy without her, again. I gave up trying to make women happy and keep them that way. It just isn't possible.
Then I reflect on the fact that I'm worth more dead than alive. Hmmm.
Maybe I'll get Clubman Bay Rum instead of Lilac Vegetal.
At least she likes my Nautica.

No, I'm not really cut out for marriage. She knows it. I know it. We make it work, though. Partly because we love each other, and partly because I don't want to pay child support.

Creed Green Irish Tweed

I'm going to get flamed for this, but Green Irish Tweed smells like Lucky No. 6, an obnoxious, teeny bopper fragrance popularized by knuckle dragging retards trying to keep from drooling on themselves while jerking their limbs about in a vain attempt at dancing in a sleazy club. I can't stand it and, by extension, I can't stand Green Irish Tweed.

Top Bottom