What's new

Wife Not Happy-Left Town and Left A Note

Hmm, having only been married a year, I may not be the most qualified to speak on this subject, but if your worried about ruining your marrige over your aftershave I recpectfully submit that there is more going on then just the aftershave. Sit down, talk about it, tell her you enjoy this and go out and buy something she likes so that when you go out on the town use that for her. But, it is unreasonable for her to tell you you are unable to use the things you desire. Give and take, thats what it is about.

Oh sure, take the reasonable route. :rolleyes:

Has it been a year already? Congratulations! Sorry, don't mean to derail.

The most important thing is that the scent fits YOU.
There must be a scent that can act as a consensus between you two.
You're 52, so a young fragrance most certainly won't fit you.
You probably don't want to smell like everybody else either.

Either you could look for proven scents which were once very popular, are still available but are less popular now.
Eau Sauvage comes to mind. A classy lighter scent which is very compatible with your age.
Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir is almost the same but with a leather twist. Very, very nice.

Or go straight to the more niche markets and get some samples.
Penhaligon's do have very classy and classic scents which I'm certain your wife will like.
Truefitt and Hill, Trumpers, Floris and others do have some great scents as well.

I have some recommendations:

Armani Attitude- Came out in 2007 and smells outstanding. Sophisticated scent that's not, as someone put it, "obnoxiously young", and can be dressed up or dressed down. Light and sweet, a woman should love it.

Burberry Weekend- Light and spicy. I wear this when casually dressed. Smells similar to Eton College A/S from TOBS, but not exactly the same. I wore both in conjunction with each other on Monday to what I believe were pleasant results.

Banana Republic- You run the risk of being obnoxiously young with this one. Unfortunately, stupid teeny boppers jumped on this scent and proceeded to ruin it by wearing it. I love the smell. Always have. My dad wore it to some extent if I remember correctly. Another light scent.

Gray Flannel- You may or may not strike out with this one. In my experience, body chemistry plays a big role in whether this cologne will work for you or not. On some, it smells like a horrible old man. On others, like me, it's a pleasant, musky scent. Very manly. Your results may vary.

Avoid: Lucky Number 6 and J.P. Gaultier (or however you spell that name). They're both, in my opinion, the scent of obnoxious young punks.

On the second date with my little lady, I had her sit on the bathroom counter and sampled each soap/cologne/aftershave that I had for her reactions. Thankfully she liked nearly all the same ones I own.

Just saying- if she didn't like one, I wouldn't wear it. But for the same reason, she had me smell her perfumes to make sure I liked them as well.

You need equality in a relationship!:w00t:

Haven't tried it myself but I hear Vulva is all the craze
/facetious off

-Sadly the product actually appear to exist :lol:

Why would somebody buy this? Women spend a lot of time and good money to get rid of the smell of vag, just to have some go out and bottle it?

Show her this video.

The go shopping with her & let her pick out the scent she likes. Wear it when you're around her. When you're at work wear what makes you happy!

After being married forty or more years, the wife leaving may just be something to look forward to... with or without a note.

B

bluefoxicy

So involve her. Pick up one or two things she likes, but keep experimenting-- with her.

I don't like citrus. I like spicy things, things with a bite. I like the warmth of tobacco and leather. I despise sweet-smelling things, because "sweet" always mixes with the other scents to smell sort of like rotting fruits in trash bins. I don't like florals.

Given this, I tend to land scents I'm in a love-hate relationship with. SCS Dagger, Illusion, New Spice, Aspect... I found Dagger too floral; New Spice was sweet but not nasty sweet, but didn't become a favorite (or a most hated) of mine; Aspect and Illusion had interesting scents that didn't become favorites of mine, but did please me. SCS Bay Rum I like; Col. Conk bay rum I like; Dominica Bay Rum I like but less so, and wouldn't explore a cologne scent like that. I've found I like leathers and pipe tobacco.

Given this, I have developed a sense of which colognes I'd probably like, and which I'd probably hate. Anything marked rose, lilac, or lime (I like the smell of limes, but not on me) I avoid. Tobacco, leathers, spices, and bay rums I tend to try and find some enjoyment or total satisfaction. This leads me to experiment and find things I don't absolutely hate; and in the set of things I don't absolutely hate is often things I like. I do have an easy metric for picking out things I WILL absolutely hate, and things I probably really won't like.

You could do the same with your wife. Get a few different colognes, apply one, have her smell you when it goes on. An hour later. Two hours later, four hours later... ask her what she dislikes, and if anything in there seemed interesting to her. Make notes. Notice she hates Vetyvyr, or citrus, or leather or sweet spices like the overly powerful clove smell. Avoid things that express those strongly. Pick things that strongly express stuff she likes.

It could work. It's better than just splashing yourself down with Tabac and going "uh I smell like a girl?"

B

bluefoxicy

Haven't tried it myself but I hear Vulva is all the craze
/facetious off

-Sadly the product actually appear to exist :lol:

That is obscene.

Not complaining. Just yeah. I think I actually winced. But hey, I've been exposed to something... new... and ... interesting... ...

I'm going to go do something else now. :sad:

I was under the impression that most guys on this board like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman and the various higher end barbershop type scents because of the history with regards to shaving and because they make you feel good wearing them.

You don't actually think most women find these scents alluring do you?

I'm not a fan of strong, overpowering scents but I'm still curious to try things like Lilac Veg just by reading the descriptions on this board but I wouldn't go out on a date bathed in them.

Data: I hate this! I really hate this!
Guinan: More?
Data: Please

If "everything still works" - then, perhaps, it would be best to wear what your wife suggests. There is something about a women that puts them in controll of certain situations. Of course this advice is only acceptable if "everything still works" with her.

I was under the impression that most guys on this board like Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud Clubman and the various higher end barbershop type scents because of the history with regards to shaving and because they make you feel good wearing them.

You don't actually think most women find these scents alluring do you?

That noise you're hearing is the sound of about 2500 bubbles bursting simultaneously. :lol:

B

bluefoxicy

If "everything still works" - then, perhaps, it would be best to wear what your wife suggests. There is something about a women that puts them in controll of certain situations. Of course this advice is only acceptable if "everything still works" with her.

Speaking as a permanent bachelor that's never had a girlfriend and never went to sleep or woke up with a girl in my arms, I'm going to put in that there's something agreeable about having the woman crawl over to you, put her arms around you, and snuggle up tight.

Just something.

Even if you don't put everything into gear that night.

But that's just my opinion. Don't ask me how I came up with that, because I don't know.

That noise you're hearing is the sound of about 2500 bubbles bursting simultaneously. :lol:

LOL. Seriously though, some guys can make the old traditionals work for them and some can't.

I wouldn't wear them on a date right now unless I knew the woman liked the old stuff. But I do dabble with Old Spice and Clubman.

Top Bottom