What's new

Wife Not Happy-Left Town and Left A Note

If you read through this forum you'll discover that there are a number of "classic" type scents that may be more appealing to your wife than Old Spice or Pinaud, yet won't leave you smelling like the teenagers at the mall. For example, you can call Penhaligon's US customer service number and they'll probably send you a few samples. Of course, a lot of these fragrances are expensive, but if you keep an eye on the B/S/T forum you may be able to get a deal.

Good luck - finding something both you and your wife enjoy can sometimes be a tall order.

Yeah, when the wife feels strongly enough to write a note and then she even says go buy something, then our job just got real easy. I suggest English Fern from Penhaligon's, and also Domenico Caracini 1913. Something like Floris 89 might also be a strong possibility. They're not giving any of these away for free, unfortunately, but if my wife's happy, then you bet I'm happy. Lucky Scent will provide a sample of the DC. Smells exactly like the shaving cream of the same name by the way.

How old are you? Azzaro Chrome is a nice scent but I think its too young for me. I'm 34.

My guess is that she's using reverse psychology to convince you to buy a big jug of Lilac Vegetal. Don't play hard to get--give your lady what she wants.

Worst advice in this thread! :lol::lol::lol:

As a Man of 52 I would have thought you would be wise to the Willey ways of women by now!
As Chris has said the scent of Old spice is so alluring to the female persuasion that you are making your bride uneasy. All you need to do to turn the situation around is to reassure her that any 23 year old red headed lingerie models that fling themselves at you will be rebuked.

Its all good!

It is best not to mention the Blondes, unless it is in this context:

Why don't you get a couple of sample sets over at the Perfumed Court, then let your wife pick a scent. She'll appreciate the effort.

When she picks one, say, "Oh that's the same one that cute blonde behind the counter liked on me too. She completely agreed with you about the Old Spice, too, honey."

You could compromise and get a barbershop scent that smells really good. Try Brooks Brothers 1818. It's about $50 and you can test it at any BB store.

I think that you may need to pick up some YSL Rive Gauche.

I'd recommend Guerlain Vetiver or Caron Third Man.

If you are the reckless and dangerous type try Caron Yatagan.

Excellent choices. If you like "barbershop" scents, I think you'll really like 1818 - it's very refined. Other possibilities:

Azzaro Pour Homme
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Gucci Envy

I've used both that your wife suggested and I think they're alright. For me I'm going to stick to Pens and Floris :001_tongu

S

Sam

Pappy, same thing here. I am 50. Wife wants me to look 40. Has me dye my hair and never fails to point out when it needs touching up. Trying different haircuts because I am thinning on top. I do it because I love her and I know she wants me to look good to her and others. But aging is natural.

She has never liked Pen's English Fern, Trumpers Spanish Leather or Sandalwood, any of the Royalle line of fragrances, and other scents she calls old man, soapy or barbershop. Does not like lavendar on me, so Bois du Portugal is gone. I guess it is my skin chemistry, because scents like that which I try, most women I ask their opinion of agree. But I don't want the Acqua di Gio and Tommy Hilfiger scents that all the teens and early 20's wear.

Same situation here, was ordered to ditch the bay rum, Aqua Velva, and Booster's E-MEDIATELY!

I went to Nordstrom's and met a very helpful saleslady in the Men's Fragrances section. Explained my predicament to her, and then tried a dozen spray-it-on-a-cardboard-strip sniff tests, including the shot glass of coffee beans after each one (to clear the nose). I found two that I really liked, and bought them (Armani Code Black, John Varvatos Artisan).

And then I realized: Hey, what about this Internet thing? Maybe it could help? So I looked here and elsewhere, and found this spectacularly good idea at a very fair price: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Product...ces-Sampler---10-samples__BNMENSBEST2008.aspx

Small samples of the ten finalists in the Basenotes "Best Mens Fragrance" contest - for 30 bucks. Many of these are hard to find in local stores, and you'd never find all ten of them in the same place at the same time (for side-by-side comparison), so this is a tremendous convenience. I ordered the set on Saturday, and eagerly await its delivery.

* Thierry Mugler A*Men
* Dior Eau Sauvage
* Dior Homme
* Chanel Egoiste
* Creed Green irish Tweed
* Guerlain Habit Rouge
* Yves Saint Laurent M7
* Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
* Hermes Terre d'Hermes
* Guerlain Vetiver

She Who Must Be Obeyed, is delighted with the way it is working out.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it myself but I hear Vulva is all the craze
/facetious off

-Sadly the product actually appear to exist :lol:

Well, if I had to offer advice then it would be do the thing that will optimize your happiness. While at first blush this may seem easy, it's a little more complicated. You can indulge your wants in aftershave but run the risk of making your wife unhappy (not advisable), keep your wife happy but deny yourself something you like (not advisable either), or attempt solicit your wife's help in getting an aftershave that you can both tolerate (a compromise). So, the question is... are you willing to compromise?

BTW, I use Chrome Legend by Azzaro and I like it.

Last edited:
One scent I personally really love is Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Admittedly, only smelled the deodorant stick but if the aftershave is anything like the deodorant...:001_tt1: It isn't a manly man scent by any means, even I as a woman felt comfortable wearing it but then I gravitate towards citrus and sandalwood in my preferences, but since your wife doesn't seem too fond of the classical aftershaves, and want something more youthful (I read it as lighter) then it might be worth at least smelling. It is, just as the description says, a fresh scent that manages to be both citrusy, woodsy, spicey and slightly floral (read lime flowers) all at once. Very interesting, and not all too expensive.

Other cheaper alternatives is actually checking the limited range at Bodyshop. If it is one thing they do know how to make it is scents that appeal to women, after all.

Most importantly though, go check out the perfumery yourself first. Write down the scents you yourself like and could imagine wearing, then bring your wife and present her to your choices and let her choose the one of them she likes the best. If she likes non of them...then let her present you to the ones she likes, and hopefully you will be able to find one that you both like in the end.

My guess is that she's using reverse psychology to convince you to buy a big jug of Lilac Vegetal. Don't play hard to get--give your lady what she wants.

:lol::lol::lol:

Because we all know...everyone woman wants her man to smell like the victim of a territorial skunk.
:wink2:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

As a Man of 52 I would have thought you would be wise to the Willey ways of women by now!
As Chris has said the scent of Old spice is so alluring to the female persuasion that you are making your bride uneasy. All you need to do to turn the situation around is to reassure her that any 23 year old red headed lingerie models that fling themselves at you will be rebuked.

Its all good!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And for heaven's sake, don't expose loved ones to LV!

Friends don't let friends LV.

So, she doesn't like Pinaud, huh? I am sorry my friend but, divorce is the only option. It is a shame she is willing to throw 27 years away for her unreasonable bias and hatred. But, you mustn't blame yourself. You had no way of knowing she was hiding such horrible secrets. But, don't worry. As long as you get a male judge, the divorce proceedings will go in your favour. We'll be here to support you through this difficult time. :cool:

My friend, it is time you requested samples from Penhaligon's. Raquets is old school barbershop with a modern twist that I like.

Penhaligons is what got my wife on board this whole mess. I ordered the sample pack for her also and she loved it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It is best not to mention the Blondes, unless it is in this context:

When she picks one, say, "Oh that's the same one that cute blonde behind the counter liked on me too. She completely agreed with you about the Old Spice, too, honey."

Oh, you are evil. I like it!

Hmm, having only been married a year, I may not be the most qualified to speak on this subject, but if your worried about ruining your marrige over your aftershave I recpectfully submit that there is more going on then just the aftershave. Sit down, talk about it, tell her you enjoy this and go out and buy something she likes so that when you go out on the town use that for her. But, it is unreasonable for her to tell you you are unable to use the things you desire. Give and take, thats what it is about.

Top Bottom