What's new

Why synthetic?

I used to be in the badger brush camp, and could not imagine myself using a synthetic product. It just didn't seem right. But, I ordered some blades from the Italian Barber one day and needed an extra $10 to get the free shipping. So, I ordered a RazoRock 400 brush with a Plissoft knot. Now I'm kicking myself for not ordering a synthetic sooner. It is so soft, makes lathering so easy and when I apply the lather to my face, all I feel is that wonderful warm lather. No scritch from the brush.
i do like the look of the yaqi brushes and they seem to be synthetic, you tried any yaqi brushes?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Yea seem like value for money
I have two Yaqi synthetic brushes, and while it's true they are good for the money, I have several others that are equal in price but get a lot more use.
My favorite brushes are Razorock, Maggard's, WCS, and Simpson. All of which I would buy again, but not the Yaqi. However, I must say that a good friend purchased the Yaqi timberwolf synthetic knot and loves it. So like most everything shaving, YMMV.

noob here so ive only ever used a boar and a mixed badger hair brush,
how do synthetic brushes feel in comparison? just as soft or can you tell its man made?

Interestingly worded question.

You can tell that they're man made
because they are softer,
and they don't shed.

Interestingly worded question.

You can tell that they're man made
because they are softer,
and they don't shed.
I'd have to disagree with this... With the exception of seeing the fibers and knowing they are synthetic mine all feel the same as the natural brushes they replaced.

noob here so ive only ever used a boar and a mixed badger hair brush,
how do synthetic brushes feel in comparison? just as soft or can you tell its man made?

Over the past 3yrs I have narrowed down my brush collection to 4 brushes, all synthetic, and doubt I will ever use a natural haired brush ever again. One is a standard Whipped Dog Plissoft type that has delivered time and again and is the only pre-made brush from an artisan that has survived in my cabinet. The other 3 are all brushes I put together in custom handles I had made for each knot. I've had knots from Maggards, APShaveCo, TGN, and TurnNShave and the only ones to survive were the ones from TurnNShave that I set myself. Their knots, to me, seem a step beyond everyone elses!! It took a lot of R&D on my part in testing what works and what doesn't for me but I have been set for brushes now for some time. I chose each brush for their characteristics being very similar, to me, to the original natural haired counterpart. I also found out through testing that I found fan type knots to work best for me. I only have 4 different Stirling tubs that I shave from every other day and use each brush through the 4 tubs then switch to the next brush for the next 4 shaves.

20170202_155054-1 (640x394).jpg

24mm Whipped Dog

Brushes1.jpg

25mm TurnNShave Angelhair in DC Shaving handle (very Boar like)
25mm TurnNShave Quartermoon in DC SHaving handle (very 2 band like)
26mm TurnNShave Timberwolf in DC Shaving handle ( very Silvertip like)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I reach for synthetics when I need to get the shave done quickly. I look at synthetics as the “canned foam” of the shaving brush world. They’re quick, easy, generally inexpensive and get the job done. If I want a more luxurious shave and plan to take my time, especially with a straight razor shave, I reach for badger.

It's hard to believe for me that there is a better brush then my Mühle 23 mm STF synthetic.
Tips are soft, good backbone, good splay, hold water well, dries quickly.
If someone want to gift me a badger brush go for it, but I have my doubts about being it a better performer then Mühle STF

It's hard to believe for me that there is a better brush then my Mühle 23 mm STF synthetic.
I have never tried the STF and really would like to but probably never will because Muhle only sells the complete brush with no option for the knot only and it would seem 23mm is the largest size they sell anymore. I'm sorry but to me Muhle has the ugliest handles ever made and I just can't spend my money on something that I don't enjoy the looks of while I'm using it. For the most part that is exactly why I never have and never will purchase a Yaqi brush either, to me their handles are hideous and I mean the entire line... Maybe there's something wrong with me? All my brushes are 24mm and larger and my preference is 25-26mm range.

@muzichead Muhle is not the only one that uses STF fibers. Edwin Jagger is also using them. Similar fibers should be in Omega Evo brushes, higher priced Epsilons and Simpons (dont quote me on the last two ones).
But the knots has to be available in some way or another, bacause @Rudy Vey is making brushes with these knots. Maybe he can come here and talk about it.
You could contact him and make a order for a brush with STF knot.

On a size, I used to be guy - 24 mm or above, but this 23 mm STF is so good, and really the size is all you need for face lathering.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
@muzichead Muhle is not the only one that uses STF fibers. Edwin Jagger is also using them. Similar fibers should be in Omega Evo brushes, higher priced Epsilons and Simpons (dont quote me on the last two ones).
But the knots has to be available in some way or another, bacause @Rudy Vey is making brushes with these knots. Maybe he can come here and talk about it.

On a size, I used to be guy - 24 mm or above, but this 23 mm STF is so good, and really the size is all you need for face lathering.
I believe the brushes for Jagger are made by Muehle....these two are to my knowledge the only ones using Muehle STF knots.
In my inventory I have only 21 and 23 mm left, the 25 mm are all long gone and will not longer be made - i had the last ones that Muehle produced

When my razor bumped over a loose boar hair buried in the lather and caused me to slice off a skin divot, I very quickly understood the benefit of a brush that does not shed.

I'm aware that EJ has the same knot and as RV pointed out Muhle supplies them but, for me, they still suffer from having a hideous looking handle and that is a no-go for me. The way that most people fawn over the STF knot is the only reason I was wanting to try one out but only if I could get the knot only and RV messaged me back last night and as he pointed out in the post above, the 25mm version is no longer available anymore. There is no need to try the 21 or 23mm as I just wouldn't be satisfied with that small a knot and my rule is if I don't use it, it has to go!!

I've looked at the new Evo brushes and they somewhat piqued my curiosity but again, complete brush option only and I am looking for the knot only. The Epsilon and Simpsons just wouldn't work for me just from the reviews I've read on them. Too scrubby and near impossible to splay is major turn off for me but thanks for the suggestions though.

I'd have to disagree with this... With the exception of seeing the fibers and knowing they are synthetic mine all feel the same as the natural brushes they replaced.

I can honestly say that of all the synthetic brushes I've tried, none felt anything like any natural fiber brush, whatsoever.
...Seems like everyone has different definitions of what's important to the "feel" of a brush. In a way I'm jealous, as it would be a much easier road for me if I liked the feel of synthetics.

Top Bottom